mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Ordered my Fantom Cross Uno

I'm in a great spot for bike commuting(17 miles round trip and flat), but was tired of caring for an aging 9 speed drivetrain. So a new bike is on the way!

I've wanted to put a BD bike through it's paces over the long haul for a while now, so I've resolved to change the pedals, ride it hard, do regular maintenance, and blog about my experience.

The bike should arrive tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Blog link?

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Uno, but I ride a track bike now and figured that I want to go full offroad with a proper MTB. Be prepared for more riding, and less maintenance... there's very little to work on, on a SS/FG bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's the link with my initial thoughts. I'm really looking forward to an unboxing review real soon now.

BikesDirect to Destruction

I'm really looking forward to less maintenance. Really the big thing is going to be picking a chain lube to work through an Oregon winter, because wet. Just wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just heard from my wife that it arrived. Now to ride home, assemble the bike, and post about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I got my first spin in on the bike, and I'm really impressed. It rides really nicely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The saddle is kind of crappy once you get past 4-5 miles, and the hoods and brake levers are so crude I think they're causing hand numbness.

But I love the bike.

It rides fantastically. It's fast, and so quiet compared to my geared bike. The geometry is great for what I want to do. And there's nothing like being able to make the choice to ride on the windy gravel side trails rather than competing in the Cat6 hammerfest on the main paved path.

Now a lot of the positives I just expressed would probably be true of any SS cross bike. So the value of the bike comes down to long term durability. But that's why I'm blogging about it.

AZ
    banned
    These levers are the shiz..

SRAM Brake Lever Set S500 2012 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Those are really nice levers. I need to get another few days on the one with the bike before I make any decisions. I may try to make them more comfortable before switching them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I linked to this in the pics thread, but here it is in it's cross commuting glory:

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I did 15 miles on gravel fire roads today. The bike climbs really really well. I loved going up. Going down... the vibration on the front of the bike was really uncomfortable, especially with those levers. Now I know why cross guys have the additional inline levers. I may need to add those to the wish list.

I think my assessment at 200 miles is that the frame is good enough that you can add the parts you want, and you would be throwing money after good. I'm super impressed with the frame so far.