Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011

Old Guy and a New Bike...

So I'm a long time stalker on here, but this will be my first post...I'm just a 37 year old dude that lives near the Avalon area of Patapsco in MD and just dropped a ton of money on a Moto Fantom DS 29er FS XTR bike!!! I'm waiting for it in the mail. This should be a huge upgrade compared to my 1996 GT Pantera Hardtail with a Mag 21 and STX-RC components that I've been rocking for the past 16 years...She's been a good bike, but it's now time to retire her. I'm guessing everyone in this forum would agree that I made a good choice for a $2,200 bike!!! It did take a bit of convincing with the wife to drop that much dough though. LOL

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    Just got my new ride, and put it together. Took it out for a ride around the hood, and man are those 29" tires big. Can't wait to get it on the trails this weekend. I feel like I'm riding a monster truck!!!
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey thanks for posting, I'm also interested in purchasing that bike as my first FS.

But it looks like it is listed as $2300. Did you manage a special price on it? I think these did go on special late last year for about $2000.

How do you like the polished aluminum finish?

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    I paid the $2,300...The finish is nice looking. They have heavy a clear coat of some kind over it making it look like paint. It's hard to tell if it is paint, or just clear coat. I have a 1996 GT Pantera as my other bike which is a polished aluminum finish (shiny), so this one compared to that is much less flashy, but still very nice. I'm pretty new to posting on these boards, but will try to upload a picture later. I will also let you know how it rides after I take it on some trails this weekend. From what I could tell so far, it's going to be pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Old guy? When I was your age....

Quote Originally Posted by craigpool View Post
    So I'm a long time stalker on here, but this will be my first post...I'm just a 37 year old dude that lives near the Avalon area of Patapsco in MD and just dropped a ton of money on a Moto Fantom DS 29er FS XTR bike!!! I'm waiting for it in the mail. This should be a huge upgrade compared to my 1996 GT Pantera Hardtail with a Mag 21 and STX-RC components that I've been rocking for the past 16 years...She's been a good bike, but it's now time to retire her. I'm guessing everyone in this forum would agree that I made a good choice for a $2,200 bike!!! It did take a bit of convincing with the wife to drop that much dough though. LOL

thecentralscrutinizer
    Where's the old guy you speak of? I've got cars older than you. lol Have a good time on that MB.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    Okay. Okay. More like middle aged, bald dude, on a bike. Lol. I'm definitely not one of these young guys on here though...

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    In the first 1/2 mile I had one issue. The valve stem on the front tube just snapped in half. Can't say I have ever seen this before...had to call it a short ride and walk out (I carry patch kits, but not tubes normally). I did take it out again and did 13 miles of single track and after messing with the suspension, tire pressure, etc it started to feel pretty good. Got home, cleaned it up, checked everything for tightness, did a little more fork adjustment and tire psi change. About to head out for about 6 miles to see if i nailed the setup or not...this bike is going to make me a mtb addict again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyPGH View Post
    Hey thanks for posting, I'm also interested in purchasing that bike as my first FS.

But it looks like it is listed as $2300. Did you manage a special price on it? I think these did go on special late last year for about $2000.

How do you like the polished aluminum finish?
    You might want to check Bikes Direct right now. Major Sale happening

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    You might want to check Bikes Direct right now. Major Sale happening
    Thanks for the heads up. But I've been checking their site daily for several months, and don't see any significant new sale prices. Maybe these are some temporary sale prices, but I think they've been pretty much that way since I started looking at BD site. Everything is on sale all the time?

Maybe I'm missing something? But I even added some bikes I'm interested in to my cart to double check they're not at some new lower price.

I'm on BD's mailing list where you get an advance notice of sales. And they seem to sometimes do these advance private secret sales, with special links from the email.

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011

Pics of New Ride..

Old Guy and a New Bike...-1048621_10201542100618428_1817533961_o.jpg

Not a great picture (cell phone), but it is a picture as promised.

Also, there is this one, in my house, right after putting it together:
    Old Guy and a New Bike...-img_20130625_225235_135-1-.jpg

One more, during my last ride:
    Old Guy and a New Bike...-img_20130704_133627_875.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice. When the wallet (& wife) permits, swap out those XRP pros (like the super lites hate the pros) for something lighter. Your bike will feel so much better !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    very jealous nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    congrats on the sweet bike.

The perfessor
    - if you get on that bike and ride, you will be like one of those "young dudes" compared to me........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am also near you, I have 2010 motobecane pro29sl. Love it.