mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Noob, and thinking about a BD bike

I'm planning on upgrading my department store bike to something better, and was thinking about a BD bike. I have a few questions though. First of all, most of the bikes within my budget come with Tektro Novela Disc Brakes, which apparently are pretty bad. Can I just buy a decent set of V-brakes and skip the disc brakes, or would that require some kind of mod to the frame/fork? Also, according to the local bike shop they charge $65 to assemble a bike. Does that sound right? Would you expect a good job for that price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Those tektros are going to be better than any v-brakes and the frame/fork/wheels probably aren't v-brake compatible if it's a newer bike. And $65 sounds about right, pending that your lbs are staffed with decent human beings your bike will be assembled just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks. From some of the reviews I read on Amazon etc., it sounded like your taking your life into your hands every time you ride with those brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Which bike/ price point are you looking at? I have my eye on the 650DS. Although I can't decide if I should wait till next payday and get a Fantom DS comp or trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you have a lower priced bike in mind I wouldn't waste time looking at full suspension 26ers. Look into a similar priced 29er. The more parts more problems. The low end es models are coil over rear shocks with no variable. A big hoop bike is the same concept. I have a fly pro ht 26. It is all the bike I could ever want. Light well made and a really thought out parts list. I couldn't touch this bike for 2k in the lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was looking at the Dawes Haymaker 1500 and the Fantom HT Trail (2010 model). Something in the $5-600 range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Think bumping budget to $800. Upgraded parts. The rebate shock upgrade alone is worth $300 based on street prices of ebay

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What's the rebate shock upgrade program?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Meant to say reba, but was auto corrected. Check reba prices, expensive shock.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    I was looking at the Dawes Haymaker 1500 and the Fantom HT Trail (2010 model). Something in the $5-600 range.
    Well, it turns out that the Fantom HT was out of stock so I went with the Haymaker 1500. Pulled the trigger this morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, it turns out that the Fantom HT was out of stock so I went with the Haymaker 1500. Pulled the trigger this morning.
    Grats, let us know how it works out for you

JIE
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice, hope you like it, I was on the fence about that one, I originally was going with a 700HT but it was out, I ended up going with a Fantom29 Trail, it was the last day for pre order , I am planning on taking off the Tektro brakes though, and with that I can now start my own thread,

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

decent brakes

I'm planning on upgrading my department store bike to something better, and was thinking about a BD bike. I have a few questions though. First of all, most of the bikes within my budget come with Tektro Novela Disc Brakes, which apparently are pretty bad. Can I just buy a decent set of V-brakes and skip the disc brakes, or would that require some kind of mod to the frame/fork? Also, according to the local bike shop they charge $65 to assemble a bike. Does that sound right? Would you expect a good job for that price?
    The disc brakes were not dialed in when I just received the brakes. Meaning there was major pad\rotor rub.

Fix is simple, 5 minutes. back out the adjustment screws a few turns... clinch brakes tight then tighten adjustment allens and all should be well.

I thought the stopping power was pretty good and I weigh in at 230 and some change.

for the price... the bikes are sweet. In my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_mangler View Post
    The disc brakes were not dialed in when I just received the brakes. Meaning there was major pad\rotor rub.

Fix is simple, 5 minutes. back out the adjustment screws a few turns... clinch brakes tight then tighten adjustment allens and all should be well.

I thought the stopping power was pretty good and I weigh in at 230 and some change.

for the price... the bikes are sweet. In my opinion.
    Thanks for the tip on adjusting the brakes.

My bike should be coming tomorrow. I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    any updates on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can't wait to hear how the bike is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry, I should have given an update much sooner. I've ridden the bike well over 100 miles over the last 5-6 weeks, much of it over rocky, rooty NEPA trails. This is my first "real" mountain bike, so I don't have anything to compare it to but so far I'm very happy although I have found some weaknesses...which is to be expected on a bike that costs less than $500. The brakes do squeal like crazy and need pretty frequent adjustments. I've gotten used to it for the most part though, and can do the adjustments quickly. I'm also planning on trying a shorter stem and higher bars in the near future, because I feel like I'm too far forward with the stock stem and bars. Overall though, I'm happy and I think this will last me at least a year or two until I'm ready to buy another bike.

mtbr member
    ive had the comp ds for about a year.. fantastic value.

imo, if your under $1k ull be more satisfied with a higher quality hard trail 26or29 than a lower quality full suspension.

when im saying quality, im saying that a bike is a sum of its componets.
    riding gets frustrating when cheaper components do not act as they should.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I too just upgraded my old wally world bike to a BD bike. It isn't top of the line, but it suits my nooby needs. It came with Tektro Novelas which seem to come on pretty much every low end bike with disk brakes. Got it yesterday and setup was, for a noob like me, a pain. The disks were slightly bent and all the bolts were inhumanely tight. The "compress, then tighten" didn't work for me, so I had to adjust the caliper position by hand, which was also a pain.

After using it for a day (not enough to review it), it seems to function well for the price. No squeak, just a dead, low moan. The stopping power isn't better than my old dept store V brakes, but that may be because I haven't really had time to break 'em in yet. They'll stop you just in time, but not before that. OP, make sure you burnish your brakes or else they'll be ruined, or so I hear. I'll update after some time with performance.

EDIT: LOL looks like I'm too late...