Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

NOOB looking at Motobecane,,,

Ok I got my obligatory 5 posts out of the way so I can ask my questions.
    This site is great, A place for people to ask about these bikes without getting a load of crap about it.
    I am looking a Trek Gary Fischer 8.4 DS at $810, I found a BD Motobecane 2012 Elite Adventure, disk brakes, lockable fork, same components as the trek, same tooth counts... frame geometry is slithly different for 400 with free shipping.
    I am 51 and looking to ride 6 to 10 mile a day on beaten up country roads 3 times a week for the health benefit.
    I donít see where I can go wrong on this..
    What are your thoughts on this guys?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yep... Exactly why I'm a BD customer. Save the $$. Get a cheap bike, ride the snot out of it. Use some of the money you save to buy bibs, gloves, lights, shoes, clipless peddles, maybe a wider bar, etc.

Then a year later, you can justify upgrading to full suspension, carbon, ...
    2011 Gravity 29point4
    2011 Specialized Secteur Comp

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the 29er section? There are a couple of bikes there for the same cost that you might want to check out if you want front suspension, or for a little more get a much better (in my opinion) fork. If you decide to ride trails beyond just "beaten up country roads" you might want something a little more versatile, and if you don't with some semi-slick tires it'll still let you ride the streets in comfort and fun. As far as wheel size goes 29er and 700c are very close, but 29er rims (I think) are stronger and will take more abuse. Food for thought if you will, but either way, BikesDirect will give you excellent worth for your money and you can't BUY better service.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Junior thanks for the tip, I did look at the 29s, the price point I am looking at and the compnets on the ELeite make it hard to passup. I went tot he LBS and most 29s have a smaller chain ring so not the gearing I am looking at. My thinking is if this pans out and I dod ride a lot I will bu a dedicated MTB next season.. If on the other hand this turns in to a clothes hanger then I am not out 800 to 1000 bones.

mtbr member
    Actually I meant the 29er section of the BD site, but I can follow your reasoning. I'm sure the Elite will give good value as well. What ever you decide to get, enjoy it!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Junior, I did look at the BD section. I also was looking at the crankset. Most of the 29s were MTB geared and not Hybred geared.. I will look again.. I also went to the LBS and was looking at the bikes and differnce in the gearing..funny thing is the person that helped me could no answer my questions about the crankset..

mtbr member
    I have an Elite Sport that I got about two months ago. I am almost 53 and was looking for a bike that I could take on rail trails and the like. Maybe ten miles an outing. My first ride was six miles and the bike was amazing. On the third outing on the C&O trail in VA I rode 26 miles and the pedaling was effortless. I would buy another in a flash. BTW, the shipping was flawless and assembly a breeze. Bike was tuned almost perfectly.

I am now gearing up for a 150 mile C&O trail ride for the end of the summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teamfour View Post
    I have an Elite Sport that I got about two months ago. I am almost 53 and was looking for a bike that I could take on rail trails and the like. Maybe ten miles an outing. My first ride was six miles and the bike was amazing. On the third outing on the C&O trail in VA I rode 26 miles and the pedaling was effortless. I would buy another in a flash. BTW, the shipping was flawless and assembly a breeze. Bike was tuned almost perfectly.

I am now gearing up for a 150 mile C&O trail ride for the end of the summer.
    C&O trail in VA?? Where is that? I used to live in the Tidewater area and then on the eastern shore.....
    Thanks for the feedback, I am ordering as soon as my bonus is announced in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Here is a couple of links. This trail is simply amazing for riding, exploring, and civil war history.

Bike Washington DC link

National Park Service map

Combine this trail with the Great Allegheny Passage in PA for over 300 miles of riding.

GAP

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I talked to a friend at work who rides a lot and he was pretty high on the BD bikes.. I feel better and better about making this purchase...Bonus in 1 or 2 weeks and then pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have absolutely no gripes about motobecane. i mean let's face it. They give you a lot of bang-for-your-buck acton if you get the right model,right?
    I have 3 of their 29er frames (2 2008 fantom29 and 1 Outcast29). haven't built them up yet, but all 3 appear to be very well constructed, especially if you want a solid budget-minded frame.
    Last edited by zarr; 02-23-2012 at 04:23 AM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's my take as I'm a recent buyer of one myself. I looked at the LBS like everyone said to do and I told them I was looking for a decent bike but nothing extravagant. They pointed me to a bike that over $2500. A nice enough bike but for my riding, way too extreme of a budget for something the saleperson said I'll still wind up upgrading.

What Motobecane offers is simple. They're a hollow brand, like a brand with no heart. No pro racers, no fancy YouTube videos just a few frame stickers. Their Aluminum framed bikes are made by a company called Kinisis who is known throughout the industry as making quality bikes for many of the top manufacturers base and mid line ranges. Some how when you put a Motobecane sticker on the bike it becomes sub par though.

Out of box with a Motobecane you get the instruction books for every component so don't believe the hype that says you'll get no customer service from BikesDirect or anyone else. You'll have reciepts and warranties just like any decent product comes with. My bike was packaged well, had all its parts and was pretty well tuned for only needing some minor front derailer adjusting.

For what the original poster has posted I'd say the bike would be perfect for you. It is for me and like mentioned before with the 1000 bux I saved I picked up a bike rack for the car, a hydration pack and every other goodie my little heart desired. This was my obligatory 5th post as well so I'll be writing a full introduction with pics so I'm not considered a dreaded shill. Personally I think they are the most underated bike value on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The model I wanted said limited quantities on hand so identify ahead and ordered it. I I planned posting pics once it is in. The thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Gravity 29 and the Windsor 29.1 single speeds are tempting me right now. It would save me some much needed cash, vs. getting the Trek Marlin SS that I want..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine was received in 6 days, I pulled it out of the box but have not had a chance to put it together. It looks pretty nice to me so far. I will post pictures up as I put it together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pulled the trigger being that the bike was "low stock" I just ordered an elite adventure in 17.5 (I'm about 5'10")... after going to my LBS today and trying out some crosstrails and trek ds models I decided that for the price it was the best way to go... rather then spending an extra 200 for a base model, I have a bike with top specs, same style and probably a pretty decent frame (although the graphics on the frame I'm not a huge fan of). Will mostly be riding around town and occasionally on some trails. Stoked to get it soon! Bluegs post some pics when you get it together Also any tips with assembly would be gladly taken!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tips for assembly, just make sure all the bolts are tight. You'll be putting together very few things like attacthing the handlebars but shifters, brakes, and grips are already installed. You have to put the front skewer on the front wheel, attach the disk brake if your bike comes then button it all up and lastly and put in the seatpost which already has the saddle on it... thats about it.

What I noticed was that some things could have used just a little snugging so do a once over on the bike for anything you didn't put together. The headset, the cranks, chain wheel... simple multi tool stuff... just touch every connecting bolt to your bike. Mine didn't need anything but snugging the top nut of the headset and tightening of the water bottle screws.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Like Fonz said there was little assembly required. It took may 1/2 hour at the most and that was while watching a video.. Most of the stuff I did when I was a kid so it was very easy.
    I had to connect the front brake, mount handle bars, mount front wheel, install the pedals.. that was about it, I add a piece to an outboard motor stand to use as a rack.
    It is supposed to be over 60 here today so I am going to try to ride after work this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the pics, post some first impressions after your ride! Also what size did you get and how does it fit you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    By the time I got home it was dark, I bought the 19 inch, I equated it to a 19 trek DS. It seems to fit sitting on it in the basment but that is not a true test.Fit and finsh on the bike is pretty nice. Some people have made comments about it being clunky (?) but I have not ridden a bike in close to 20 years so I doubt I will see that...maybe, will see. Sunday is supposed to be in the 50s so I may ride it and post up my impressions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks great in white!

[QUOTE=bluegs;9077703
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i went and rode it for a few miles yesterday. still fairly cold, It rode fine.. I wold say I saw no difference between it and the trek I rode. I ran through the gears numerous times and it shifted with out fault, everything worked like it was supposed to.
    I used the shock locked and unlocked and the road I live on is beat to crap so it was nicer with the shock unlocked..
    I am very pleased with this and real glad I saved $410 bones.
    Last edited by bluegs; 03-12-2012 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i am also looking at the elite sport and i am only 5 foot 5 in height and the standover height is 29 inches on the smallest one and was wondering if anyone bought the small model to know if this is true or do i need to get something smaller?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm in the same boat as well being that i was looking at a 2010 trek fuel ex 9.8 carbon vs a 2011 Fantom Team with X0/XTR specs and other goodies that the trek didnt' have yet it would me 400 less and actually weight slightly more than the fantom team. It just seems like its a better option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My order got refunded... I picked up a 2011 sirrus comp on craigslist for $380. I'm happy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast