Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice.

Used it the way to go at that budget. You'll get better parts and you won't lose much resale value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegs View Post
    i went and rode it for a few miles yesterday. still fairly cold, It rode fine.. I wold say I saw no difference between it and the trek I rode. I ran through the gears numerous times and it shifted with out fault, everything worked like it was supposed to.
    I used the shock locked and unlocked and the road I live on is beat to crap so it was nicer with the shock unlocked..
    I am very pleased with this and real glad I saved $410 bones.
    Great choice, bike looks great...I've owned a fess MB's and they all where rock solid...five cholos! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah honestly, I bought the fly pro last spring, rode it all summer, no issues. I used to race XC in the mid/late 90's and honestly the value is good. Works well, i've made a few changes to things but nothing super crazy. Frame seems pretty solid, and i'm not a small guy, 6'2" 215lbs. I do ride with more finesse than power, and dont tend to break things in general, i see no issues with my frame after a summer of new England riding, save for a few small rock chips in the paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    trash reply to hit 5!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Love the 2x4 bike stand!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah... I could not see spending 100 bones for a stand I may use one in a great while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zortsteen View Post
    Love the 2x4 bike stand!
    That is a Kool stand. I have one of those big sheds, and I thought about hanging the bike from the rafters to build it, similar to the ones pictured, but right side up

I think it would wiggle a bit but it would save my back...

It is the same interior size as the one pictured, but it is not mine...lol and those are not my bikes...

Last edited by BMW M 2 ISF; 04-15-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: my spalling korections

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't use that as a stand. It's a great help to rotate the wheels when adjusting shifting, checking brakes, checking true wheels, etc. Also, be weary of hanging forks upside down, known to leak.

I'm building a workstation using a pipe clamp and a 3/4" steel pipe.
    Pipe Clamp - 3/4" Cast Iron Pipe Clamps,2 Piece

I'm working on attaching it to this, to metal shelf.

I haven't finished, or I would post pictures and a quick run through.

The storage rack is useful, and the pipeclamp can be used as a multitool, not just bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

mtbr member
    sorry to revive this, but I am thinking about getting this bike from BD and I am 5'11" and I've heard the frame is massive. What would be the right size, 15.5 or 17.5?

My inseam is about 31.5 ish.

Thanks,

Carl

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cabrone View Post
    sorry to revive this, but i am thinking about getting this bike from bd and i am 5'11" and i've heard the frame is massive. What would be the right size, 15.5 or 17.5?

Thanks,

carl

19.5"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    sorry to revive this, but I am thinking about getting this bike from BD and I am 5'11" and I've heard the frame is massive. What would be the right size, 15.5 or 17.5?

Thanks,

Carl
    Carl,

I'm 5'10" w 31 inseam. 17.5 fits me fine.

--Mark
    2011 Gravity 29point4
    2011 Specialized Secteur Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just leave budget for $75 or your time to build the thing up and adjust. BD or used bikes are the only bikes I buy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    19.5"
    Thnx for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markfm View Post
    Carl,

I'm 5'10" w 31 inseam. 17.5 fits me fine.

--Mark
    Hmm, this is what I was thinking. Everyone said that the bike runs big. Thanks for the feedback

Tapped

banned
    Sep 2010
    Thnx for the feedback

Hmm, this is what I was thinking. Everyone said that the bike runs big. Thanks for the feedback

Tapped

They do not run big, all one has to do is compare the geo to main stream offerings to validate that, Noobs tend to buy one size small, thus the "run big" myth. If you have doubts one visit to a LBS for a proper fitting should dispell any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    They do not run big, all one has to do is compare the geo to main stream offerings to validate that, Noobs tend to buy one size small, thus the "run big" myth. If you have doubts one visit to a LBS for a proper fitting should dispell any.
    That being said, would you also suggest the 17.5? I know 19.x is too large. Just wondering if you suggest the 15.5 going to order today and get it ready for my move to boring Indiana

Tapped

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'3 and ride a 15.5. For your height, 17.5 is best IMO. But regardless, you can always alter your overall geometry once you realize that these bikes need simple upgrades like seat post (I went laid back and love it), handlebars and stem (I went shorter stem with a lot less rise and a flatter bar). So you can always tweak your body geometry later once you get riding and figure out what you like.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Ordering in 10 mins. So stoked. I'll get pics when it arrives. I feel like a kid on Christmas.

Tapped

mtbr member
    Can this bike easily be converted to use non quick release rear skewer and a keyed one in the front, say from nashbar?

Tapped

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    I'm looking at picking up a new Moto as well. Is there a frame difference between the Fly Ti and the Fanton X9 Ti? It almost looks like the TT of the Fly is longer? Any insight would be helpful. i'm trying to decide between the 17.5 and 19' frame. (i'm 5'11, 33 inseam). I was thinking the 19' Fantom Ti would be the right size.....sorry for hijacking this thread, can't post a new thread until i reach my 5 post minimum

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CDC View Post
    I'm looking at picking up a new Moto as well. Is there a frame difference between the Fly Ti and the Fanton X9 Ti? It almost looks like the TT of the Fly is longer? Any insight would be helpful. i'm trying to decide between the 17.5 and 19' frame. (i'm 5'11, 33 inseam). I was thinking the 19' Fantom Ti would be the right size.....sorry for hijacking this thread, can't post a new thread until i reach my 5 post minimum

Why do you think a 19" is the correct size?

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    I test rode a 18' Giant XTC and it felt big and a 17.5 Trek Caliber and that frame was better but more upright. Trying to make sense of that. Trying to figure out top tube geometries. The fantom and the Fly look to have different fits. The trek caliber 17.5" frame is more in line with the phantom 19" frame.....hence i'm thinking the 19" would be ok, however the Giant XTC felt long however i neglected to compare stem lengths.....

AZ
    banned
    You also have to compare geometry, ST and HT angles. What your looking for is cockpit length and reach to the bars but that info is hard to come by. IIRC the Ti fly geo is almost a duplicate of Gary fisher geo, by drawing comparisons between the two you should be able to get it right. @ 5'11" you probably are a candidate for a 19" frame but your'e short torso may be of benefit of a shorter stem or bars with more sweep. I would normally tell someone to test ride but since it is mail order it is a crap shoot. Most neophyte buyers wind up on bike too small because they don't know what proper fit consists of. I heartily recommend seeking some local help in determining your proper fit.

mtbr member
    Newly arrived. I perhaps could have went 19, but I'm somewhere in the middle, so this is fine.

Tapped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NOOB looking at Motobecane,,,-uploadfromtaptalk1343736508736.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For those who've picked up the Elite Adventure ... a couple questions.

1. How do you like the bike after a few miles? Any problems? What kind of miles?
    2. According to the advertising, this is supposed to be lighter than a comparably priced mountain bike. Has anyone weighed theirs? I'm thinking about upgrading my Gary Fisher Advance to drop some weight, but I could easily spend as much in new parts as I'd spend on this complete bike.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast