mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Noob Bought Fantom29 Sport

Hey all,

I have a Fantom29 Sport being delivered Friday. I am having remorse perhaps over not trying the 529HT instead.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Got the bike last Friday. Went together fine, but I could not get the FD adjusted correctly (it's a Suntour top pull?). Strangely, at BD on the 529 page they say it's extra cheap because the RD is not installed. Well it wasn't on the Fantom 29 either, but it adjusted just fine. I was worried about disc brakes as I have no experience with them, but got them set up just fine.

So far so good. Our latest batch of cars doesn't have trunk openings large enough for bikes, so I'm awaiting a bike rack before hitting any trails. But it's been nice around town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wrote this up the other day, but Explorer decided to throw it away.

Rear derailures shouldn't be installed on bikes that are shipped. Every bike I've got off BD, had it removed. It's easy to take them off and put them back on without needing to adjust the cables. Taking them off helps prevent damage to the derailure and hanger during shipping.

With the front derailure, setup is important, and if the very first steps are off a bit (height), it just won't work. A lot of times, it's easiest to start from scratch.
    1. Assuming the chain is on and you're not going to remove it, put the chain on the largest front ring. Adjust the FD's "H" limit screw so you can no longer shift to the lower gears.
    2. loosen the FD mounting bracket and adjust the height till there is about 1-2 mm clearance between the large chainring and the FD. Tighten down the mount a bit and make sure the FD is lined up with the chainring. Tighten it down the rest of the way.
    3. loosen up the FD "H" screw so you can put the chain in the smallest front ring. Put the chain in the largest back ring and adjust the FD's "H" limit screw so the chain doesn't fall off the front ring but doesn't rub on the FD.
    4. Use the shifter to shift to a higher gear. If the shift is smooth, yo're done. If not, adjust the barrel screw on the shifter until it the chain does shift. Turn an extra 1/4 turn and shift through the gears. It should shift smooth through all the front gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks and good point on RD and shipping. I have seen people grousing about the hanger being bent on shipped bikes.

Yeah I went through the FD procedure on Park Tool and some other sites and using a penny to gauge the height. Not sure I quite got it lined up correctly though, I was going cross-eyed looking at the chain, chainring and derailleur. I was also loosening the cable when doing the initial L adjustment, then tightening it and proceeding to the H and may have been getting it too tight to begin with or didn't have it torqued down, not sure.

Your variation is a bit different from the ones Ive read. Looks like it might have been promising because the problems I was having were getting into the higher gears (3 on shift to 2, etc.) And in retrospect, I might have been doing it backward since it was upside down the whole time.

Anyway, took it to LBS and got it set up. Have been pavement pounding and "off-roading" in the parks. Going to hit some actual trails here this week and see how bad the fork really does suck. It will be interesting to see how my risk aversion from BMX days carries over to adult life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Risk aversion does carry over, but by the 3rd time you ride the trail, you'll feel better. If you're riding faster than a brisk walking pace, don't have any fear rolling around/over stuff thats less than 3". It looks bigger than it really is, and just have faith in the bike to roll over it.
    The fork does suck, when compared to a air coil hydraulic fork, but it's still a good fork. You'll know when you're skill level exceeds that of your fork, but until them, have fun with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Alright! Did my first trail ride today. Lots of fun. I was speeding up toward the end and having fun. Close together trees were an unanticipated obstacle! Geez.

I was beginning to think that I hadn't improved much on my old hybrid, but the Moto was nice. I could feel the fork smoothing things out along with the tires, which I probably had over pressured.

That was fun! And didn't have to go far. I think I am going to like this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Did my third ride today at the place I did the first. Took another loop that had some kind of frightening descents (when I walked it, I had trouble staying upright, especially while holding bike). Any advice on steep short descents? Maybe 15-20 feet vertical in 10-15 feet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have the same bike.

I ended up putting SLX hydro brakes on it, that helped immensely with steep descents. I also upgraded to an SLX RD and 1x front. I run Maxxis Ardent 2.1 tires as well instead of the WTB Nano's. These changes made it a completely different bike. I will be upgrading to an air fork soon as well.