Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No comments on the new 2014 29er Ti ??????

Has anybody check and commented about the new 2014 Motobecane Ti options or is just that the activity on this forum is so high that the post got lost and I didn't noticed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It doesn't look any different. Link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm looking into this bike for a friend. The tapered head tube & 15mm QR are huge improvements. I asked in another thread if 2.3" tires could be mounted on the stock wheels?

mtbr member
    They don't ship until August so any comments are just going to be on the paper spec. On paper they look very nice.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What looks good about the new frame--
    Tapered head tube
    440mm chain stays looks like the seat tube is curved for this
    69 degree head tube angle on the sm/m
    Curved downtube
    Can't tell if the seatstays are designed for some vertical compliance- that would be a plus

The current Reba solo air fork is not as much of a plus as the 2012 dual air fork was. Much less tuning options and small bump compliance. The SID version has no small bump compliance and is a short(<2hr) race fork. Sram has a new DIG valve to address this possibly. May work on this fork. The Manitou Tower Pro is an alternative, but you need to like to tune suspensions. I'm working on mine and it is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    "New 2014 Frame features shorter chain stays for billy-goat-like climbing with clearance for 2.35" tires
    Tapered Steerer tubes for razor-sharp steering response, Zero Stack headsets"

mtbr member
    Here is a better picture. This new Team Fly definitely checks the boxes off for me. Tapered- check, shorter stays - check, standard shell BB - MAJOR CHECK! Just waiting to see what the frame only sales for.

Here is a bigger image
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...0-xiv_2100.jpg
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I'm looking into this bike for a friend. The tapered head tube & 15mm QR are huge improvements. I asked in another thread if 2.3" tires could be mounted on the stock wheels?
    The answer might depend on the tire choice.

I have one of these bicycles on order, the version with SRAM XO 20 Speed. Bikes Direct specifications claim that there is clearance for a 29x2.35 tire, and my understanding is that the Vuelta XRP Team 29er SL wheels are size ERTO 622x19C.

Plans may change after I measure the bike, but my current intentions are to install 29x2.35 Schwalbe Super Moto HS 430 front and rear, initially with tubes on the wheels included in the package deal.

Name:  e_img1_1148.gif
Views: 1794
Size:  6.5 KB

The ERTO size for that tire is 60-622, which has 60_mm maximum width, and Schwalbe's tech info says that this tire has 745_mm maximum diameter, and 678_mm diameter at maximum width.

An ERTO 60-622 tire is designed to fit an ERTO 622x21C wheel which is 622_mm diameter and 21_mm rim width. Schwalbe's tech info says that this 60_mm width tire can be used on rim widths ranging from 19C to 29C, but if using 19C the maximum cold inflation pressure is reduced to 45_psi, while the recommended range of cold inflation pressure for the tire mounted on the 21C design rim width is from 30_psi to a maximum of 55_psi.

You should look to see if more information is available for the tire(s) that you have in mind for this.

Hope that helps.

Also... Be forwarned that I am no expert on the subject of bicycles, am just parroting what I am reading in researching this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
    The answer might depend on the tire choice.

I have one of these bicycles on order, the version with SRAM XO 20 Speed. Bikes Direct specifications claim that there is clearance for a 29x2.35 tire, and my understanding is that the Vuelta XRP Team 29er SL wheels are size ERTO 622x19C.

Plans may change after I measure the bike, but my current intentions are to install 29x2.35 Schwalbe Super Moto HS 430 front and rear, initially with tubes on the wheels included in the package deal.

Name:  e_img1_1148.gif
Views: 1794
Size:  6.5 KB

The ERTO size for that tire is 60-622, which has 60_mm maximum width, and Schwalbe's tech info says that this tire has 745_mm maximum diameter, and 678_mm diameter at maximum width.

An ERTO 60-622 tire is designed to fit an ERTO 622x21C wheel which is 622_mm diameter and 21_mm rim width. Schwalbe's tech info says that this 60_mm width tire can be used on rim widths ranging from 19C to 29C, but if using 19C the maximum cold inflation pressure is reduced to 45_psi, while the recommended range of cold inflation pressure for the tire mounted on the 21C design rim width is from 30_psi to a maximum of 55_psi.

You should look to see if more information is available for the tire(s) that you have in mind for this.

Hope that helps.

Also... Be forwarned that I am no expert on the subject of bicycles, am just parroting what I am reading in researching this.
    Very much appreciate your detailed, technical response. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I'm having a hard time deciding on the SRAM 2x10 or the Shimano 3x10 version. Could you share how you made your choice?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The SRAM Type 2 RD looks nice to reduce chain slap, compared to the Shimano RD-M980 "clutchless".

Seems the SRAM 2x10 comes with the FSA 27-42T special 3 bolt crank which I've heard can be problematic? Maybe not a low enough gear for long steep climbs?

Picture shows the Shimano 3x10 comes with the FSA 4 bolt pattern crank, though spec mentions "Afterburner 386", which are these preferred?

I currently ride an XTR/XT 3x10 on a Gravity.6, I like it OK, but a lot of duplicate gears, so it would be a safe bet to stick with that. But am interested in having a 2x10 for the first time.

I like how the XTR shifter can shift more that one gear at a time, don't think the SRAM XO does this.

Please excuse the random blurbs, just trying to sort this out in time to make the pre-order price...

I'll be using this for XC racing, but lots of hills in PA.

Thanks for any recommendations...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyPGH View Post
    I'm having a hard time deciding on the SRAM 2x10 or the Shimano 3x10 version. Could you share how you made your choice?
    I like the SRAM type 2 RD. But there is nothing wrong with Shimano. They are both very good. What I really do prefer is the SRAM grip shifter, and intend to change to those. It provides no advantage at the front, would be changing the front only to match the rear. But for the rear I have a strong preference for the grip shifter.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks. I ended up ordering the SRAM 2x10 model as well, it has shipped and should be here next week! I basically already have the Shimano 3x10 setup on my Gravity.6 bike, and don't really like the chain slap I get with the RD-M980. So thought I'd take a chance and try something different.

I still have my old Trek970shx from the 90's with xray grip shifters, they worked fine. I may have to try the new SRAM grip shifters...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    FYI...Got an email from Mike of BikesDirect that the prices on these are going up, presale is ending, at 5PM EST today 8/9/13.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FYI...Got an email from Mike of BikesDirect that the prices on these are going up, presale is ending, at 5PM EST today 8/9/13.
    Prices went up $200. Interesting. Was thinking about getting one, but now that it doesn't have the XO brakes and I would want to upgrade the wheelset ASAP, the value isn't as good. Still a good deal though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got same email to buy before price increase. That plus upgrade frame finally pushed me over two hours before deadline after I had wanted the 2X10 XO for two years, they always sold out as claimed. Should arrive in three or four days, hope I get it in good condition, BD has had issues with some rough handling at manufacturer and shipping. BD does not inspect bikes, cheaper for them to deal with problems after the fact.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Photo linked above is from mfr, to show new (refined) frame: the component specs in photo are a custom build by mfr, not all same as on BD's 2014 Moto Sram XO 2X10 or Shimano 3X10 Ti 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krusatyr View Post
    Got same email to buy before price increase. That plus upgrade frame finally pushed me over two hours before deadline after I had wanted the 2X10 XO for two years, they always sold out as claimed. Should arrive in three or four days, hope I get it in good condition, BD has had issues with some rough handling at manufacturer and shipping. BD does not inspect bikes, cheaper for them to deal with problems after the fact.
    I would have ordered a second Ti 29er hardtail if BD were offering one in a smaller size to fit the wife. They used to offer a smaller Ti 26er hardtail, but thats not available either. Either way, the crank size would need to be scaled down also, no bigger than 165mm, and that seems to sometimes get overlooked.

Ora Engineering (located inTaichung City , Taiwan) makes the frames, and very likely could have supplied some in a smaller size.

Frame-14MB302_Products_Ora Engineering Co., Ltd. _ Bike Frames & Parts, Tubes and Others

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe3eb View Post
    Prices went up $200. Interesting. Was thinking about getting one, but now that it doesn't have the XO brakes and I would want to upgrade the wheelset ASAP, the value isn't as good. Still a good deal though.
    Well, I'm hoping that "Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite Disc" wheel set is good enough for me, for now. I thought I'd read fairly pretty positive comments on this forum about them...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krusatyr View Post
    BD has had issues with some rough handling at manufacturer and shipping. BD does not inspect bikes, cheaper for them to deal with problems after the fact.
    I think this is true of the BikeIsland (sister site, scratch and dent bikes), I've bought a couple bikes from them. One was fine. The other was just about a mess of loose parts in the box, horrible packaging. Bikes were same exact model and $999 price. BI was pretty responsive regarding issues though. But don't always replace broken (shipping damage) parts with matching parts. Outer chain ring chewed though box and broke some teeth in UPS truck. They sent me one that would fit, but lower quality, not of the matching FSA Afterburner crankset on the bike. I would still buy from them, but seems a bit of a gamble what your're going to get.

This is the first bike I've actually bought from BikesDirect. I sure hope there is no shipping damage. At this price level, I'm going to go over it very carefully. If parts come broken I'd expect exact replacements or better. Will also be checking the bottom bracket and headset for proper greasing right away.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ora Engineering (located inTaichung City , Taiwan) makes the frames, and very likely could have supplied some in a smaller size.

Frame-14MB302_Products_Ora Engineering Co., Ltd. _ Bike Frames & Parts, Tubes and Others
    Interesting, I see ORA makes other parts like titanium handle bars and seat posts ...

Also I wonder who / where the components are actually installed on the BikeDirect Ti bikes? Do they have some other third party company in Asia assemble everything? And we get to open the box and hope they did a good job.... For the price I'm fine with that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Interesting, I see ORA makes other parts like titanium handle bars and seat posts ...

Also I wonder who / where the components are actually installed on the BikeDirect Ti bikes? Do they have some other third party company in Asia assemble everything? And we get to open the box and hope they did a good job.... For the price I'm fine with that.
    My neighbor has a Ti-hardtail w/26 inch tires that he had custom built many years ago by Seven Cycles in Watertown, Ma.

They offer a Ti 29er hardtail, and offer variants with components similar enough that it makes an interesting comparison.

https://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/sola-sl.php

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    re: TonyPGH:

Though ORA won't sell direct, they referred me as follows:

Thanks for your inquired, I am sorry that we don't sell frames directly, please contact with our distributor Rikulau which information as below, thank you.
    Rikulau international.Co., Ltd.
    Contact name : Chengnon
    E-mail chengnon@rikulau.com
    Rikulau, Bikes, Road Bike, Mountain Bike

Best Regards,

Emily Yu 余佩芳
    ORA ENGINEERING CO., LTD.
    鈦郁工業股份有限公司
    台中市清水區和睦路一段1005巷128弄25號
    No.25, Aly. 128, Ln. 1005, Sec. 1, Hemu Rd.,
    Qingshui Dist., Taichung City 436, Taiwan R.O.C.
    ??????????
    TEL:886-4-26203076 #220
    FAX:886-4-26202690

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, interesting information regarding the Sevencycles and Rikulau bikes...

The Sevencycles appear too pricey for me, and the Rikulau too risky. Makes me appreciate what BikesDirect provides. A quality bike from a US company that backs it up, for a killer price (no tax and free shipping helps).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast