Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 71
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    25
    I got the new 2014 fly team 17.5. Everything was great. No shipping issues. No damage. For the most part only a couple things needed extra tightening. Bike rides awesome. Comes with xrp pro sl not team sl. These are 400 grams heavier but are wider and rear is 32 hole. This is better for me as I ride rough stuff daily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No comments on the new 2014 29er Ti ??????-image.jpg  


  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    I ordered same 2014 model in a 19", then Friday Aug 16th received a 2012 frame with straight down tube and straight head tube, in a beat up box with torn holes and open, ripped tape joint. Bike parts appeared to have been just chunked into the box loose.

    I've photographed box and frame, written letter, provided complete documentation of error, all sent by email to them Saturday and as of 12:30 pm Monday, no response.

    Hopefully they are tracking the problem and will be honest in resolving.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by krusatyr View Post

    I ordered same 2014 model in a 19", then Friday Aug 16th received a 2012 frame with straight down tube and straight head tube, in a beat up box with torn holes and open, ripped tape joint. Bike parts appeared to have been just chunked into the box loose.

    I've photographed box and frame, written letter, provided complete documentation of error, all sent by email to them Saturday and as of 12:30 pm Monday, no response.

    Hopefully they are tracking the problem and will be honest in resolving.

    .

    Did you order that from Bikes Direct or Bike Island, or some other vendor?

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    I ordered from BD at $2199, thru PayPal, after getting Mike's warning that price was going up at 5pm EST. When I ordered, incorrect photo of bike was above the description, which noted upgrades and stated photo was wrong. I asked and "Karla" at BD emailed a correct photo from mfr or distr, with same down tube and head tube shown on yours. A day or so later, BD corrected the photo.

    My beat up box has "12 NOV." on the outside, which likely means November of 2012.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by krusatyr View Post
    I ordered same 2014 model in a 19", then Friday Aug 16th received a 2012 frame with straight down tube and straight head tube, in a beat up box with torn holes and open, ripped tape joint. Bike parts appeared to have been just chunked into the box loose.
    I ordered the 19" 2014 Fly Team Titanium SRAM XO 20 Speed on Aug 8th from BD, and received it Aug 14th. It is the new frame and was in fine shape. There was a bushing on the front hub that had popped off, I had to press back in. I haven't had a chance to fully assemble or ride it yet...

    Pretty sure the price went up to $2399 on 9Aug 5pm EST on this.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    I got the new 2014 fly team 17.5. Everything was great. No shipping issues. No damage. For the most part only a couple things needed extra tightening. Bike rides awesome. Comes with xrp pro sl not team sl. These are 400 grams heavier but are wider and rear is 32 hole. This is better for me as I ride rough stuff daily.
    Mine also came with the Vuelta "Pro SL" wheelset instead of the "Team SL", that was originally listed during pre sale. Seems a lower spec/price wheelset. I'm not sure I'm happy about it, and emailed BD. I'm 150lbs and plan on XC racing this thing, and wanted it light as possible out of the box.

    I haven't heard of any durability issues with the "Team SL" vs. the "Pro SL"?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by krusatyr View Post
    I ordered from BD at $2199, thru PayPal, after getting Mike's warning that price was going up at 5pm EST. When I ordered, incorrect photo of bike was above the description, which noted upgrades and stated photo was wrong. I asked and "Karla" at BD emailed a correct photo from mfr or distr, with same down tube and head tube shown on yours. A day or so later, BD corrected the photo.

    My beat up box has "12 NOV." on the outside, which likely means November of 2012.
    They are and were listing the remaining 2013 models as well as the new 2014 models on their website, and the prices were the same at the time of the preorder on the 2014 models. Make sure you didn't order the 2013 models by mistake.

    I bought a 15.5 inch 2014 model with the 2x10 SRAM XO deraileurs, and my invoice shows:

    Item #
    "H Fly 29er Team SCORE XO Ti XIV 15.5M Prepay"

    Name
    "FLY 29er TEAM SCORE XO Ti XIV || PreSALE Ships Aug 6-8th"


    What does your invoice show?

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    35
    So then it means that there won't be a less expensive package with the new frame.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Edil View Post
    So then it means that there won't be a less expensive package with the new frame.
    What indicates anything like that?

    They could offer a bare frame or a frame and fork package. They might offer a 2x10 package with SRAM X7 or X9 type 2 derailleur, etc. With recent growing interest in 1x11, they might offer a SRAM XO1 rear derailleur, XG1195 cassette and XO1 104mm BCD chainring on a less expensive FSA crank and BB. There are a lot of possibilities.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31
    It is weird how they still have four old frame Ti 29er bikes on the website, and only two models with the new frame. The old ones are practically sold out. Maybe once they move the old frames off the website they'll introduce more new frame models.

    I'd assume there is nobody the would prefer the old frame over the new?

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    25
    I ve been looking over bike direct for a while waiting to finally get a fly team and they have always just had a fly team in x0 and xtr. They also have always had a frame and fork option and a fantom with x9. I know from talking with bd that the fantom will be available in October. I assume this will be with the new frame. The frame only option will also be offered some time in the near future. They will continue to offer old frame till they sell out but I don't think anyone will buy them unless they nock off a couple hundred bucks.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    35
    Anyways it seems that for the old frames large is the only option left.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    2013 Fly team XO 2X10 29ers had been sold out at BD for many months (all gone for 6 months +/-) and was not offered as an option when I selected the 2014 for $2199 at 2pm on 9 August, a few hours before the 5pm EST price increase deadline.

    Subsequently, BD said I was stuck with the 2013 bike they sent because I had selected 2013 (never mind that this was not possible), unless I wanted to pay an upgrade + shipping.

    I contacted a PayPal Dispute Rep who gave me the exact transaction URL for my Aug 9 purchase: "2014 Motobecane Team 29er Titanium Sram XO 2X10 Speed Size 19". Whereupon BD suddenly back-pedaled on where the responsibility lay and now I've returned the 2013 at their expense and the 2014 is on its way to me. Now BD blames their own software-price coding for a rare anomaly.

    In order to make the beat up box shippable, I used additional cardboard and literally an entire new roll of packing tape. The entire process of photo documenting, several emails with BD, repairing the box and securing parts that had been loose in the box with bubble wrap all took over four hours outta my life, not counting time between emails.

    Moral of the story: Always, Always, Always Use PayPal.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31
    Wow, that really sucked! Glad that didn't happen to me. Let's hope the new bike arrives in great shape and it's all smooth sailing from there...

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    I read several poor reviews of FSA crank (that is on BD's Ti XO 2X10 29er) that it loosens after 8-12 miles, mostly left side, won't stay tight. It is married to a specific BB. What do riders recommend as a more dependable replacement? I've seen several of the FSA's cheap on ebay, so presume people are disappointed and changing.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    25
    My fsa crank hasn't loosened yet after 100 miles or so. It is not abnormal to need to retighten some things after the first few rides as things settle in to place so to speak. I m sure only a few people have had that loosening problem. I wouldnt group all FsA cranks in that anomaly. You got to assume that a small percentage of all products will fail just due to chance of an imperfect production. You gotta hope that it doesn't happen to you. For instance, brakes. I have read many gripes about avid brakes. Once I started reading xt/xtr reviews. I was seeing the same gripes for the most part and xt/xtr are suppose to be the best.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    35
    I'm seriously considering this bike and yesterday I saw a guy with the old frame bike. He told me that he bought the frame with Bike Island and build it himself and he was very happy and the frame looks solid. I told him about the new frame and seemed interested.

    My concern is about selecting the right size. It happened that back in 2004 I spent $1,600 on a Gary Fisher bike just to find out that the size wasn't right for me. The top tube was too long and after riding it for 30 minutes I got very pronounced pain in the base of the neck and rhomboids. I'm 6' 33.5" inseam and I think that the 17.5" will be the best option for me. The Gary Fisher was 19".

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: allthatisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Edil View Post
    I'm seriously considering this bike and yesterday I saw a guy with the old frame bike. He told me that he bought the frame with Bike Island and build it himself and he was very happy and the frame looks solid. I told him about the new frame and seemed interested.

    My concern is about selecting the right size. It happened that back in 2004 I spent $1,600 on a Gary Fisher bike just to find out that the size wasn't right for me. The top tube was too long and after riding it for 30 minutes I got very pronounced pain in the base of the neck and rhomboids. I'm 6' 33.5" inseam and I think that the 17.5" will be the best option for me. The Gary Fisher was 19".
    A 17" for someone 6 feet tall...? I'm 6'1" about the same inseam and I hopped on my buddy's medium Trek Fuel EX 7 the other day and it felt like I was riding a little kid's bike... FWIW I ride an XL Fly Ti 29er with a 90mm, 0 degree Thomson stem and 730mm Thomson carbon bars and I couldn't be more comfortable. YMMV.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    25
    My old 26" was a 20" large with a 24" ETT.
    My current 2014 fly team 29" is 17.5" medium has a 23.5" ETT roughly.
    Both fit me about the same. Don't look at the bike size. Ultimately the ETT is the best indicator of the bikes fit. The fly teams tend to be longer than most bikes ETT wise. I'm 6' 33" inseam and my 17.5" fits perfect. Ie.. ETT= effective top tube

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    My old 26" was a 20" large with a 24" ETT.
    My current 2014 fly team 29" is 17.5" medium has a 23.5" ETT roughly.
    Both fit me about the same. Don't look at the bike size. Ultimately the ETT is the best indicator of the bikes fit. The fly teams tend to be longer than most bikes ETT wise. I'm 6' 33" inseam and my 17.5" fits perfect. Ie.. ETT= effective top tube
    That's what I'm talking about and I was looking for that advice. Later on I will post the measurements of the GF for you to compare and advice. I did as althatisman, change the stem for a shorter when more raise, move the saddle all the way to the front, etc but it didn't help at all and I had to sell the bike at a bargain price loosing money in the process.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Edil View Post

    I'm seriously considering this bike and...

    My concern is about selecting the right size...

    I'm 6' 33.5" inseam and I think that the 17.5" will be the best option for me.

    .
    They currently have only the 19_inch and 21_inch sizes listed for both the 2x10 and 3x10 versions. I noticed that the 15.5_inch size in both versions sold out during the presale, and it hasn't taken long for them to sell out in the 17.5_inch size in both versions.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    25
    FYI in case anyone is considering the 19" since the 17.5" is sold out. The 19" is only an inch longer ETT than the 17.5". You can shorten that in a number of ways if you really wanted to. Shorter stem, move seat up, a riser bar would even help feel more upright. The fly team seat post actually curves backward. A strait seat post would probably be an inch further forward.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Edil: The bike (Team Ti 29er) in a 17 1/2 would be too small for you. I am 5-11 with long arms and legs and the 19" is only barely big enough.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    31
    I'm 5'11" with 34" inseam, and my 19" 2014 Ti 29er is the right size for me. I think a 17.5" would be too small.

    I suppose you can make cockpit adjustments either way by changing seat post, stem, handle bars.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12
    Edil: I should have mentioned my inseam is 33" and for a long sleeve shirt, I buy a 35" sleeve. At 5-11, a 19" 2014 Moto Ti 29er is barely big enough. The bike has a mix of quality, but the high quality Ritchey PRO 4-AXIS stem is fairly long, fits perfectly.

    17 1/2" is too small for your dimensions. The BD size recommendations are rough, relative leg and arm length are the drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 KTM bikes only 650B and 29er
    By trailrider24 in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  2. Fox new 29er forks for 2014
    By mo6500 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM
  3. 2014 Enduro 29er handling
    By mo6500 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM
  4. 2014 Enduro 29er
    By mo6500 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 03:04 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •