Zero Miles from Myself

Which is the Newer Fantom29 Frame Design?

Kicking around the idea of a 29er. Have been considering Ebay (Niners, etc) / Giant / Sette and Motos. Motos seems to be the best bang for the buck for a new bike.

Looking at the Fantom29 in either the Elite or X7. I notice there are some differences in the Frame Designs. Which Frame is the newer ... or are they just different?

The Elite seems to be a Kinesis designed MOTO29HX Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Hydroformed Downtube.

The X7 simply states ... MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube

Maybe they are both Kinesis design, but the site does not say.

Which is the newer / lighter designed frame? Handling Differences?

I see the two frames have different geometries. Not sure which I would like better, but the Elite has a longer wheel base and seems to have a slacker and taller Head Tube. I would like the taller, but not sure I would like the slacker for a 29er.

Also wondering, of the 2 (the Elite or the X7) which has the nicer / better fork? Are they both Air Forks?

I am leaning toward the Elite because it has the SLX / XT RD mix and that is similar to what I am on now - an SLX / XTR RD set up. I am not really impressed with the cranks, but could easily upgrade those to SLX too. But the X7 version is sporting a ... well ... X7 drive train and having never ridden SRAM stuff that might be a fun / different switch after so many years on Shimano stuff.

Wanting the lightest Complete Bike Mix. Wondering which of these 2 is the lighter.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    The elite is the newer frame design, I think that the elite also has the better fork but I'd check RockShox website to be sure. No idea on weight of the elite but the x7 should be similar to the x9 (my bike) @ 28 #'s -/+. Either one should be good riding fun, you might want to check the other posts I think somebody did a indepth review of the x7 recently.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Hey thanks for the update.

Today I was trying to find a "Big Brand" with a similar Geo to the Elite ... unless there is misprint on the Bike Direct site for the Elite, The Elite has a REALLY long wheel base. Seems in my size (I think about 15.5 or 17.5) the Elite's wheelbase is 1103/1129. Every other bike's geo I looked at (Trek/Specy/Scott/Giant/Cannodale) had their wheelbase at 1088 to about 1095 or anywhere from .5 up to 1.75 inches shorter.

I wonder how such a long wheelbase would effect ride handling ... or perhaps this is a misprint on BDs site.

Whose bike would the Elite be patterned most after?

Zero Miles from Myself
    I keep checking other bike's specs ... and from what I can tell, the Fantom29 Elite has the longest wheel base and chain stays of any other 29er bike on the market. I was wanting to find a similar size LBS bike to try, but if the BD site is correct on the Geo of the Elite ... looks like this is not possible.

Any ideas on what my might be like an Elite? Any one have the 2012 Elite yet?

mtbr member
    The wheelbase for 15.5 is the same as my X9 19" frame. The chain stays are about .5" longer than my X9, and the head tube angle is @ 2 degrees slacker. I can't say but I doubt that the ride handling would be bad otherwise I doubt they would bother selling the bike. Most likely it'll steer a hair slower but the difference is most likely negligible.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    FYI, I just bought the elite and I had to clear up the specs. On the page with all the bikes it list a tora fork with rmt lockout but on the specs page, it list the recon fork. I emailed BD and they confirmed that it comes with a recon fork. I actually found the bike on Ebay from chicabike. It did come with a tora fork and remote lock. it was also 50 bucks cheaper than BD.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I would think the Recon is a slight improvement over the Tora ... Actually from what A I understand the Recon is the RS replacement for the Tora. So it would be a "newer model" and thus probably have some upgrade enhancements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I tried to find any technical info on the Tora, similar to what is listed in the 2012 media book from rockshox for the recon but couldn't find it. I'm sure it's out there but I guess I didn't look hard enough. I really wanted the remote lockout. I really liked this feature and thought it would be the only way that I would consistently use the lockout. My bike is scheduled to arrive on Thurs. I plan on posting pics. I really found it hard to make a decision between all the BD bikes. As crazy as this sounds, the remote lockout was the deciding factor. I really felt that all the other components would compare really, really close and I would get used to the feel of the frame/geometry. good luck.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I am gravitating toward the Gravity Point5 at this point. I am buying for parts ... and the Reba RL is about 2lbs lighter than the Recon Silver. For about a $200 up in price, you can have a BD Bike with a Reba. Also, as much as I like the look of the 2012 Fantom frame ... it just seems to long for my riding style. I am going to test ride a Trek Cobia thursday which is almost identical to the Gravity frames in every aspect. The Gravity seems to be more my geo size and fit spec.

But who am I kidding ... I dont have any money