mtbr member
    Mar 2013

newb looking for help with first "big kid bike"

Someone mentioned in an earlier post, "If you want a heavy commuter that can take trails, get a fb roadie or a cyclocross". I've been seriously considering a cyclocross bike. The Fantom Cross CX looks mighty appealing. I want a bike that will grow with me.... right now I'm mostly interested in paved trails, but I would like to try out less groomed trails and light mountain biking with the same bike. Heck, I might even want to try clyclocroos one day when my fitness is good enough for it. Also, I like that that particular model is set up for front and rear racks and other accessories. I know nothing of specs and I'm assuming I should attempt a fit at a LBS. But just in case anyone has any advice regarding size, I am 5'8, 185 lbs (looking to lose some lbs), female, with a 31 inch inseam.The only thing that really makes me nervous about buying that particular model is that it is more expensive than I had planned on (reviews i have read suggest I will wanna buy a new seat and update some specs too)... and I have never had a drop down bar (my previous bikes have always been upright flat bar style). Any feedback would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    I have zero experience with cyclecross bikes and was last on a hybrid back in the 90s. That one I just slung a leg over it for size. No clue what cm it was.

Speaking of BD from a mtb perspective they tend to have nicer components than an equivalent-priced lbs bike but below a certain price point they all are about the same. They also are prone to the occasional wonky size and geometry specs. Their mtbs from a couple of years ago tended toward the short side for TT lengths. Don't know if the trend has changed with time.

Do some research. There's a CX forum on this site. Definitely get some time at your lbs. Sit on a few, ride them if you can. If you don't like drop bars I think in some cases you can change to a flat bar. I think BD still offers a Fantom Outlaw with disc brakes but it's pricier.

I've owned two BD bikes so far. My first was a 700HT. Not long after riding it I realized that it wasn't enough and upgraded to a Fly Pro. Night and day difference mostly due to weight and quality of the fork. Since then I've upgraded all the small parts with Ritchey WCS and carbon for further weight savings.

Bottom line buy the best bike you can initially and the need to upgrade or repair due to poor quality will be reduced. Component and frame quality directly affects weight and the lighter items get the more they tend to cost, but they make your riding more enjoyable.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input sir! I'm thinking i may just need to save up a little and really decide what i want! I thought this was going to be a much simpler and less expensive decision going in... but like you said upgrades after the initial investment are going to be even more expensive. I better sit on in for a bit and really research what it is that i want. Too bad... cause id really like to have a bike NOW

mtbr member
    Start hitting the lbs in your area and keep your eyes open for sales. Unfortunately bicycles are very seasonal and we are getting into their season, but you might still find a deal.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro