mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Good job! New Urban bike purchase...Motobecane Cafe Express 8

Almost "afraid" to start this post!! Motobecane doesn't seem to get any love on this forum....and I see alot of bashing from guys that don't even own them.....always seems to open up a can of wormks when anyone post about any bike from BD...even seen guys accused of being a shill.....so I figured I might be safe posting about it in the Motobecane sub-forum!

I live in the city of Jacksonville, and have been looking for a new urban/Hybrid. in my neighborhood I have two LBS within walking distance, but have several more within greater Jacksonville.

The first bike I checked out was a cannondale at a "world famous" local shop that carries cannondale only....was basically ignored and handed a catalog and price list...being a "Clydesdale" I think I didn't fit this shops profile.....oh well...still looking.

Went to another bike that carried both Cannondale and Trek and they had great service...friendly staff that answered all of my questions and made some good recommendations.

We also have Bikes Direct retails locations here in Jacksonville so I checked them out and was impressed! the two biggest complaints I hear on most forums about BD is " they arent a LBS and you should be supporting your LBS" and that you have to assembly the bikes.....well for me, neither is true.... The Bikes are full assembled, wheels trued, perfectly set up...they offer free tune-ups and service for life as well as free labor on any parts I purchase through them...

After spending some time trying a few bikes and narrowing it down to my needs with some help from Alex and Corey I decided on the Cafe Express 8. After comparing to other bikes , I felt I was getting the best dollar value...and also the best service.

Here are some pics after todays ride....LOVE IT!!!

The Nexus 8 hub

I like this .....alot!

Pretty comfy seat for my big behind!

Overall I am really happy with my purchase...and I would HIGHLY recommend for anyone living on the First coast to come to Jax and check out BD in person....!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm curious to hear a follow up. I'm looking to get a bike soon, and have been looking at the motobecane bikes on bd as well. There is actually a bikes direct store about a mile from me and am going to take a look there in the next couple of days as well. I've been looking at the Trail Elite, but would like to see one in person.

matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    I'm curious to hear a follow up. I'm looking to get a bike soon, and have been looking at the motobecane bikes on bd as well. There is actually a bikes direct store about a mile from me and am going to take a look there in the next couple of days as well. I've been looking at the Trail Elite, but would like to see one in person.

matt
    Are you in the jax area? I know they have a few stores here and I think in Texas also...if your in Jax...I highly recommend the store at St. Johns Town Center...great staff and bikes are set up perfectly.

I was also looking at the Elite Trail X5...but since I live in Riverside area of Jax I decided on a more urban bike instead of a more dual sport hybrid. For me....it was a good choice.

I'm loving the IGH...the Nexus 8..... incredible...smooth shifts and practically noiseless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm actually in AZ. They have 3 Bike direct stores not too far from me. But when I look on line, it doesn't say that they sell the motobecane style bikes. May swing over there today to see what they have in stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm actually in AZ. They have 3 Bike direct stores not too far from me. But when I look on line, it doesn't say that they sell the motobecane style bikes. May swing over there today to see what they have in stock.

We have 4 total in our area ... And they all have Motobecane ....if you are looking at the Elite trail.... Make sure you look at the Elite trail X4.... Better parts and same money as the Elite trail. If they don't have the bike you want in stock they will order it for you..... And way better if they order than if you order directly . If you buy retail from them it includes bikes assembled and set up, wheels trued, free tune ups for life ..... Just a way better deal than ordering online. I don't think I would have ordered online....I bought from them because they were local, and for me, seemed to be a better deal than similar equipped bikes.

Good luck!! Hope you find a bike you like!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I stopped by the local Bikes Direct store today, and they don't carry any of the motobecane bikes online. Spoke to someone working there for a while, and he said they are working to change the name of their store. Didn't ask why though. They had some pretty good looking Giant bikes and they carried a lot of cannodale as well. Kind of waiting for the tax return prior to making a purchase. And will probably take a look at a few more local shops too before pulling the trigger.

matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I went online and checked out bikes direct of Arizona ..... They are a different company it appears from bikes direct.com..... Looks like the are most cannondale and Giant.... Both great bikes , but at a higher price point than the Motobecanes

I stopped by the local Bikes Direct store today, and they don't carry any of the motobecane bikes online. Spoke to someone working there for a while, and he said they are working to change the name of their store. Didn't ask why though. They had some pretty good looking Giant bikes and they carried a lot of cannodale as well. Kind of waiting for the tax return prior to making a purchase. And will probably take a look at a few more local shops too before pulling the trigger.

matt

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Looks nice! I can vouch for BD bikes in general. I own 3 And love them all!

mtbr member
    At one time a corporation in AZ had leased the name from Bikedirect and bought from them but they were a separate entity. The FL stores are a different corporation too. A while back I seem to recall reading the AZ stores started carrying different bikes. That would explain the lack of Motos, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That is what I gathered. The guy I spoke to said they were in the process of trying to change the name of their store. And they had a sister store not too far away that had a different name. I don't recall what it was though.