mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New Phantom 29er frame purchase..

I've been riding MTBs for 13 years. Rode Klein hard tails for 11 years and have been on a 4" travel FS bike for the last 2 years or so. However, I just tried my friends Surly KM and loved the 29er format. So, because I have enough new parts to build up a 29er with a nice build, I bought a 19" Fantom 29er frame on ebay for cheap (it's in the mail). The main component I'm missing is the fork. I haven't seen any info if the frame was designed around a 80mm or 100mm fork. So, what are peoples opinions? I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, so standover height may be an issue. Is anyone running an 80mm fork on their Fantom 29er - how's the handling? Big difference with a 100mm fork?

Thanks,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 29er Pro came with the Tora 318 at 80mm...another poster's came at 100mm I think it was designed for 80mm, but I'm too cherry at this to comment further.

P

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My Windsor Cliff Team 29er (pretty much the same frame from what I'm told) came set at 100mm and a kit from RS to set the Reba at 80mm. I am still trying to dial the fork in as I just got it, but the geometry feels right at 100mm. I also flipped the stem to drop the bars just a bit. Not too bent over, not too upright.
    You will be fine with either size fork, IMO.
    I am 6'2" on a 19" frame and will likely leave it at 100mm.
    Also, a lot of forks can be set to 80mm or 100mm with the use of spacers. Might want to think about going that route.
    enjoy

Former Bike Wrench
    My Windsor Cliff 29er Pro came with its Tora set at 100mm (even though it says 80mm in the BD description). The Windsor frame is very similar to a (and made by) Fuji Tahoe 29er, but it is quite different from Motobecane frame. I'm thinking about knocking down the fork to 80mm (spacer was included) as the Fuji site says the frame geometry is for 80mm fork and the front end is a bit high.