mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New owner! I have a Fantom Trail HT :D

Yesterday I pulled the trigger after some very rigorous decision making... I now am the owner of a 2008 Motobecane Fantom Trail. I took it for a 3mile jaunt yesterday at the creek preserve and it held up well. So far I'm satisfied! I purchased it from Cycle Spectrum which means I had to pay sales tax, but I get free maintenance for life. I'm only charged for actually materials they use, not for labor. So free tune ups and cheap service! Their parts are reasonably priced as well, so its not like they marked them up too much. I'm a beginner mtn biker so the service was a big sell for me... being local to a Cycle Spectrum (same store as bikesdirect.com) is a big plus!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey, thanks for the info. I'm actually considering that same exact bike.

How do the prices at Cycle Spectrum compare to bikesdirect.com? I'm about a 3 hour drive away from the nearest Cycle Spectrum store. I'm debating if I should buy my bike online or in-store.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Same price, but you'll have to pay sales tax... but you'll definitely want to check stock because they won't have everyone, but they can get each one for you. I'd guess a 3hour drive would only be worth it if its near a place that you could find more than one reason to go to. The real benefit is being able to go there to get your bike serviced for free. They're very strict on no negotiations and they don't really run sales either. The only deal you'll get is $10 off a helmet with purchase of a bike, which isn't bad. It was enough to convince me to buy a helmet from them at least.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I plan on traveling that way in about a month. I'll check out what they have in the store. Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am headed up to a cycle spectrum next week to look at the ft ht. Next week I will update with my experience as well. It seems like its to good to be true.