mtbr member

New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti

New owner here, just got my Fly Team 29 Ti frame/fork delivered last week, cant wait to build it up. My first Ti build, cant wait for my parts to be delivered. Everything looks great with the frame/fork so far, only the trail will tell the true story tho!

mtbr member
    If anybody has any advice for the build, problems you ran into etc, would be appreciated. Ti info also, do have copper anti seize on the way, so have at least read that far haha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thinking about a Ti Motobecane also. Didn't see anything about copper anti-sieze - whats that for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    If anybody has any advice for the build, problems you ran into etc, would be appreciated. Ti info also, do have copper anti seize on the way, so have at least read that far haha.
    No problems whatsoever! I got pics of my 2011 XTR setup on the last page, and the latest entry of the Moto thread "Show your Pics".

The brakes have been updated from Elixir CR to Elixir 9. The only problem is the color is solid black. I preferred the candy apple red of the Elixir CR. Though you can't beat the free upgrade!

It goes together quickly. It was even more pre-assembled than my wife's 2011 Fantom Pro 29er; but neither were difficult at all. I guess it depends on your tool availability and your ability to use them.

You need a metric hex key #4, #5. Also, a star wrench #5. I think that's about it.It'll need pedals, so a wrench to put them on will be necessary.

mtbr member
    No advice on the build really, but congrats on the bike! Been riding mine for the last couple of months and it's quite simply the funnest bike I've ever owned (and I've gone through a LOT, from the 'big manufacturers'). I guess I could say that I'm looking at upgrading the wheels at some point and have narrowed it down to the American Classic MTB 29 wheelset. Very light, and they look great in black. Check 'em out! Sunringle supposedly makes some reasonably priced ones called the Black Flag Pro in a 29er, but those are heavier than the AC's.

mtbr member
    Forgot I posted this thread, build is complete, bike is a huge amount of fun to ride! It is my first ti frame and I am amazed at the dampening effect of the material. Build was from the frame/fork up, also see my pseudo workbench that got bolted to my dining room table. Small apartment wont keep me from working on my own stuff!

Final build list ended up:

15.5 Fly Team 29 frame
    Reba RL 100mm fork
    King headset - wish I had bought silver or black and not pewter...
    Stans Arch wheels with formula hubs, came off a new salsa spearfish.
    XT shifters / der's / crankset / chain / cassette - 3x10
    Shimano DX platforms
    GORE shifer cables F/R
    Elixir CR brakes F/R
    Thomson stem/seatpost/seatpost clamp - silver FTW
    Ritchey carbon bars
    Ritchey ti biomax saddle
    Ritchey ti skewers
    WTB Nano race w/Aramid bead F/R

Few iphone pics, sorry for the bad quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti-resizefull.jpg  

New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti-resizehbars.jpg  

New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti-resizecrank.jpg  

New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti-resizerder.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very nice build - any idea what the weight is?

mtbr member
    Its 25.8lbs

Also, the 15.5" size does have two H2O bosses, website lists that it only comes with one.

mtbr member
    Congrats. Looks nice. I am enjoying my recently built Fly Ti 26er. Just waiting on a few more parts to dial in fit and looks. Also, getting ready to get some new wheels. Looking at Hope Pro II Hubs laced to Stan's Flows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Damn. How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Short...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    that is crazy heavy!

The perfessor
    Just got my frame, will look at all my needs in the next day or so........two bikes will be sacrificed for this build........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New owner - Fly Team 29 Ti-dsc03739.jpg  

Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig View Post
    that is crazy heavy!
    When you want to buy me lighter parts, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    Just got my frame, will look at all my needs in the next day or so........two bikes will be sacrificed for this build........
    You will enjoy it for sure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    When you want to buy me lighter parts, let me know

You will enjoy it for sure!
    That weight isn't bad at all when people consider the pedals and bar ends. The Stan's Archs aren't supposed to be ultra lightweight either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    That weight isn't bad at all when people consider the pedals and bar ends. The Stan's Archs aren't supposed to be ultra lightweight either.
    That weight included a 410mm seatpost, and a brand new sealant injection. So I dont think it is too terrible either. The frame can be built up to be featherweight, but that wasnt my main goal, durability was.

I have changed a few parts, wheels are WTB I23 hoops with Hope pro 2 hubs. DB DT Swiss spokes with brass nipples. Rear is a bolt on, front 20mm. Not the lightest wheelset by far, but they are strong. Fork lowers were swapped to 20mm maxle light. Brakes are XT785's. and tires are Spec Captain Controls. Its right at 26lbs now, and the new wheels/axle types have made it feel like your riding on rails. Ti frame wobble is almost non existent.