Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by figurePOOR View Post
    Any more reviews on this bike? Are there any deals for bikes under $3k that are worth considering over this one? I absolutely must have a pike fork and a 1x11 or 1x12. How does this frame compare to competitors?
    Not sure you'll find anything with a 1x12 and a pike for under $3k, so if those are your requirements jump on this bike.

I've got probably around 200 miles on my HAL6 now, and I'll give a little more of an update.

I mentioned the front end wandering on climbs previously. If you're a climb-up-so-you-can-bomb-down kind of rider, it shouldn't be a problem... like I said before, stay forward on the saddle and drop your elbows. Standing and cranking also helps. If you enjoy the climb as much as the descent, or want to win all the KOM medals on Strava, you may want to look for something with less slack in the head tube. Techy, steep, bumpy climbs at a very slow speed are the worse. A little bit of momentum and the bike definitely straightens itself out.

This bike works very well on straight tech, high speed trails, and trails with a lot of flow. Some of our southern New Hampshire trails are very tight and twisty, with a lot of trail crammed into a small area, and your average speed on a ride could be 4 or 5 mph. This bike isn't the best in those situations (that's when I miss the 72 degree head tube angle of my hardtail).

Stepping ups ledges, log crossings, and other techy things that require a big vertical upward movement of the rear wheel are a little tougher on this bike too... again I think it has to do with the slacker head tube. Every once in a while I come across a small climb or a tech section I would clear no problem on my other bike and not make it on this one... it's very frustrating until I remind myself the other 99% of the trail that I just rode far faster, cleaner, and easier than on the other bike. And as I get used to this bike and get muscle-memory going, I'm sure I'll be caught up to where I was previously.

Upgrades I've made to the bike include converting to tubeless, some lock-on grips (the stock ones were slipping everywhere) and a dropper post. I'm running Shimano XT trail pedals.

I have been having a problem with the WTB tires set up tubeless... the leak like sieves through the sidewalls. I lose 5 - 7 psi per hour. I reached out to WTB and they said that's a problem sometime when the mold gets contaminated, so they're warrantying the tires and sending me a replacement set. If anyone as a similar problem get in touch with them.

Still fiddling with the suspension, but I think I've got it pretty dialed. I'm not a big-air guy, but the biggest drop to date has been around 3 feet to a flat landing...handles it fine without feeling like it's bottoming and without pogoing me off the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the good detail. interesting stuff. I have done about 30 rides on my hal6 pro, but I'm a beginner and can't compare to another bike. I do feel like it handles very well on the downhill and at high speeds. I'm able to stay with my friends who are experienced riders on some really sketchy technical downhill at high speeds, and I'm sure its largely due to this bike's suspension being so nice. (Jacob's ladder downhill in Utah). I've adjusted my rebound speed on my fork and shock to only a few clicks up from the turtle. Any higher, and I felt like i was pogoing on any rollers. Probably my beginner technique, but the dialed down, slow rebound speed is great now. It really just sucks up the bumps.

I also added a dropper post, which is great. The stock seat has been fine for me, but I usually never exceed 2 hours in it. Like Zeeede said, the grips do slip. I have to readjust mine after almost every ride. I'll probably get some new ones at the end of the season when I bring my bike in to the LBS to get tuned up and cleaned for the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hey everyone. First post here. Reading this thread helped aid my decision in buying my Motobecane Team 11, so I'd thought I'd share some pics.

So far, I've had the bike for a little over 2 months now -- no complaints thus far. Made some modifications. Threw out the garbage pedals. Slapped on Shimano Saints on there. The stock 80mm stem and 710mm handlebar combination were fine. But, I wanted to put something on there that was a little more "me". So I swapped it out for Raceface Atlas bar and stem. 785mm/50mm. And of course it's not an all mountain bike without a dropper seatpost!

With the 1x11 drivetrain. You hardly ever use the big gears. Only time I've used the last two gears was on the street, and I was really trying to push it trying to sprint. So I most definitely will swap out for a different chain ring when I feel like spending the money.

New Motobecanes - first impressions?-newbike.jpg
    New Motobecanes - first impressions?-newbike2.jpg

BAJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jrglenni View Post
    Yeah, those rim beads locked real tight. Finally figured out a good method though, just stand over the tire and push with your palms down and away from you, rotating a few inches each time. The tire won't pop out right away but it will start to stretch more and more and then come out. On the first tire I just kept trying the same spot over and over and it wouldn't come out. The second tire went smooth though.
    Some lube really helps break the tire bead free. Windex was recommended, I didn't have any so I just mixed a little Dawn dish soap with water and put it in a spray bottle. They come off way easier.
    '16 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    '10 Motobecane Ti 29er
    '03 Giant Rainier
    '92 Giant ATX770

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hey everyone. Thanks to everyone for your insight on these bikes. I am waiting for shipment of the latest batch of Hal6 Pro's partially due to the feedback on this thread. In anticipation of delivery, I have purchased a new carbon seatpost (before I realized a dropper may have been a better upgrade), carbon handlebars (780mm wide), 50mm stem, lock on grips, flat and egg beater pedals, and tubeless stuff.

Pretty stoked on putting it all together and seeing how it rides.

Has anyone modified the fork travel on these bikes down to 130 or 140mm? It looks like a relatively easy process and depending on the terrain and application, a potentially worthwhile modification... Slightly steeper head tube angle, longer reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone weighed their hal 5? I'm guessing it'll be similar to the 6, but it'd be nice to know. It'd especially be nice to know for the 1x11 drivetrain. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Additionally, has anyone measured how much travel the seatpost can have? I know some of you have cut off some extra based on your inseam, but I'm guessing you left enough on to extend slightly below the lowest weld on the top tube to maintain structural integrity. From the pictures, it looks to me like there would be very little travel room after that. This leads me to think that a DIY redneck dropper post (QR) won't really work and a real dropper post is almost essential for this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi all...awesome thread! I'm considering the Hal6 Team 12 (with Eagle components). Are there any generic components on these Hal6's that you guys feel "must" be swapped out? I know dropper posts are recommended, but what about items like the bottom bracket? The site says, EXTERNAL Bearing Assembly, about the bottom bracket. What does that mean? We all know the components are fantastic, but what about the frame? I've seen everything from "they are junk" to "frame is wonderful". Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey Tom, I Purchased the HAL6 Team 12 Eagle a couple days ago. The wait is already killing me and I have over a month to go. Hahaha I understand your concerns on the frame. There is only one way to find out though
    I am sure it will be more bike then most people need, and if it not you really didn't loose any money.

BAJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post
    We all know the components are fantastic, but what about the frame? I've seen everything from "they are junk" to "frame is wonderful". Thoughts?
    I don't own a HAL, but I have two Moto HT's, one Titanium, one Aluminum. I beat the h*ll out them both - jumps, drops and wrecks. I'm sure there are lemons (it happens to the name brands too), but in my experience they are awesome. Those calling them junk may have had a lemon, or maybe the really low end bikes are less durable, or maybe they don't have one at all and are just jealous they overpaid.

The downer is the wait between clicking "buy" and the box showing up at your house. The week I had to wait for my fatty seemed just as painful as the month I had to wait for my 29er. Best of luck and lets see some pics of these bad-boys assembled!
    '16 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    '10 Motobecane Ti 29er
    '03 Giant Rainier
    '92 Giant ATX770

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Love those riser bars man, looks good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did you get an estimate ship date when you got a confirmation? The website says starting April 15th. That's 2 full months!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I got a confirmation of the purchase. They said when they get the shipment in that I will get an email. I know, two months is a long time but I have gone with out a mountain bike for a few years now. So no big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Where did you get the RockShox green decals for the monarch?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    can anyone comment on the sizing? I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, but I'm more worried about reach (top tube) than anything. how do the sizes compare with other bikes you've owned? I know all bikes are different, just trying to gauge a feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

hal 6 sizing

As mentioned elsewhere. these bikes run big/tall. Id def go with the 46cm. the 50 will be huge! IM 5'10" and went with the 44.

can anyone comment on the sizing? I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, but I'm more worried about reach (top tube) than anything. how do the sizes compare with other bikes you've owned? I know all bikes are different, just trying to gauge a feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, I went to the bike shop and compared top tubes for reference and the Large (46 cm) is definitely me. Where did you get the shock decals to match your bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi all...awesome thread! I'm considering the Hal6 Team 12 (with Eagle components). Are there any generic components on these Hal6's that you guys feel "must" be swapped out? I know dropper posts are recommended, but what about items like the bottom bracket? The site says, EXTERNAL Bearing Assembly, about the bottom bracket. What does that mean?
    Threaded bottom brackets like that on the Hal6 are an absolute necessity for me and are a major selling point for this bike. Death to press fit.

We all know the components are fantastic, but what about the frame? I've seen everything from "they are junk" to "frame is wonderful". Thoughts?
    I have four BD bikes. Their Ti frames are genuinely nice, I'd put them up against any mid tier Ti welder (e.g. Lynskey) selling frames for twice the price. Their aluminum frames are all catalog designs made by Kinesis, including the Hal6. I don't own a Hal6, but I'll guess what they're like. Kinesis is probably the largest welder of aluminum frames in the world. BD's frames are typically two or three year old designs. BD frames typically lack some of the features of the latest designs (e.g. stealth dropper routing) but they're well made, straight and durable. The Hal6 uses a four bar rocker arm knucklebox rear suspension design which I believe originally was designed by Diamondback. The knucklebox is a highly regarded design for its high compliance with the tradeoff being a reputation for a bit more suspension bob on climbing as well as the relative complexity of the design when compared to a single pivot design.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Bottom Bracket dimensions on the HAL6 Pro

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and after lots of research and reading all the excellent info on this thread I'm now just about ready to put the order in for a HAL6 Pro. The aluminium frame looks to be mid-grade or better but the componentry from the suspension to shifters to brakes are all top-notch and that's a bargain that I can't pass up.

On the HAL6 Pro's... Does anyone know the length and diameter of the bottom bracket???
    Is it 68mm long with 33.8mm dia or what???
    And does the inside diameter have the standard JIS or BSA threads?

Thanks,
    -Sacman

mtbr member
    Here's my first impression, and my 500 miles later impression!
    https://youtu.be/2EncwbaZsdU
    https://youtu.be/YS5_e2V7_Fw
    If you like the videos, please feel free to subscribe! Have a great day y'all!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not the HAL6, but good review anyway. On a side note, I was able to pick up a used Yeti that was too good a deal to pass up, so I won't be getting the HAL6 after all. It's bittersweet because I was looking forward to doing an indepth review of the HAL6. Good luck all! See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Considering the Hal 6 Team 11 or 12 and having some trouble deciding if I think the Eagle 12 is worth the added price, or if that money would be better spent on pedals/dropper/etc.

Coming from an old 26" HT with 3x gearing, so I'm wondering if I'll be shooting myself in the foot with the jump to 1x11 for some of the trails I ride that do include a bunch of ups and down. I like the colors of the Hal 6 Team 11 better, but the added range of the Eagle is appealing.

- BD

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Having the same debate.

Tradeoff:
    Eagle and 1x12 is really good. Also, the technology will likely trickle down soon and become a standard.

vs.

If you damage anything, you're looking at an expensive repair bill. $400 crankset. The cassette is $360 (yikes!). The chain is $60. Also, the 1x11 group is no slouch, the crank is probably a bit tougher and the build is $300 cheaper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    Those calling them junk may have had a lemon, or maybe the really low end bikes are less durable, or maybe they don't have one at all and are just jealous they overpaid.
    I agree. I have over 25K miles on 4 different BD bikes and I've never had a problem and never been anything less than very pleased with the frames. The build kits speak for themselves, obviously.

The vast majority of people who slam BD here have likely never even seen a BD bike or they spent double or triple on their LBS bike and feel the need to bash. It does get really annoying but it's best to safely ignore them.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910