mtbr member

New Motobecane Fan

I just purchased a used fly 9357 to build up as my winter ride. I have had many frames from Jamis, Giant, Kona, and Iron Horse. After a careful inspection, I can't see anything less in the fabrication of this frame than I have in the dozen or so I have owned in the last 15 years.
    Is the bad rap they get because of the poor BD service or the fact that they used the Motobecane name?
    I guess I will see how it holds up over the winter .
    I just don't see Kinesis fabricating a Motobecane with less care than my Jamis!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think there are a couple of reasons. First, a lot of people are associated with a Local Bike Shop and the sales model there. Moto provides a different option for customers, and some see that as a threat.

People associate price with quality, and can't see how a different sales model can squeeze out some of the costs.

Customers tend to think the last bike they bought is the best out there. It's a way of affirming the decision they made.

Finally, some people only want the cutting edge...the new new thing or the hot hot brand. They can't imagine that someone would be happy riding a bike that's not the absolute latest and greatest or doesn't have a sticker from a famous brand on the frame. You can say over and over again 'it's a lot of bike for the money', but they don't care because it's not what they're interested in.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm a former warranty manager and bicycle mechanic for several small and large shops. So I consider myself well trained in quality construction of bicycles. I've worked on, assembled, and built up literally tens of thousands of frames.

I can see no difference in the quality of BikesDirect brands compared to Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. The main difference I see...the name printed on the downtube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I see basically 3 issues why Motobecanes get no respect.

1. Lets face it, the bikes, while well made and speced great, are generic. People feel good about themselves by riding a Trek, GF, Cannondale etc. because they feel they have the best. They don't like seeing that someone can buy a better speced bike for less money, so they attack them to make themselves feel better about their purchase.

2. Many people here are "in the industry", work at the LBS, or are sponsored by the LBS. So there is going to be loyalty to the big companies and LBSs.

3. Motobecane, like Ibex, has a lot of "fanboys" who act like Motobecanes are the greatest bikes on the planet. They recommend them to anyone looking for a bike. The reality is though that a Motobecane is not for everyone. If you are a beginner who has no idea what size bike you need or what components or type of bike you need, Motobecause (or ordering online in general) may not be for you. Unless you have done a lot of homework it can be tough to get the right bike online. Also if you need the LBS to hold your hand to do everything on your bike like changing a tube or lubing the chain, then a Motobecane probably isn't for you either. These fanboys annoy everybody with their constant recommendations, that people start to hate the bikes because they think the riders are a bunch of schills.

I hope you enjoy your 9357. I love mine. It really is light isn't it!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    should have my first moto experience tomorrow.. had to get a headset for my FANTOM ELITE DS, cant wait to slap all my parts off my old bike on. First moto and first FS... so hope its a good one. if not... well it was only 300 to find out.. but i have a feeling its going to be awesome

mtbr member
    First test ride last night. 18 miles in the dark. Way stiffer than my Dakar XLT. Will take some getting used to the hard tail riding technique!!! Definitely moves fast on the smooth swooping trails, but was a little tough on the technical rocky stuff.