mtbr member

New Motobecane 529HT Owner / Bikes Direct storefront experience.

Hello! I've been lurking on here researching on a bike to fit my needs. I'm not new to biking, but not an enthusiast. I normally rode Walmart brand bikes until I went in to a local bike shop, and test rode a Specialized bike. It was like riding a Porsche compared to my Genesis V2100.

I heard about BD from reading posts on here, so I decided to give them a try. When I found out they had a storefront, I hauled butt over there to check out the bikes in person. I had been using my frame measurements from a Specialized bike, and thought it would be the same for any bike within the same type. I'm glad I went because I would have been wrong.

The guys there helped me find a model, and frame size that fit me, and then we looked at price, and how well the bike was equipped for my price range. I ended up with a Motobecane 529HT with a 13" frame. It rides amazing, and the hydraulic brakes great. This bike was hundreds off similar equipped local bike shop bikes.

Very happy with my purchase, and overall experience. Ill take some pics tomorrow. I had trouble finding pictures of a 13" framed 29er on the net.

Thanks again guys!

mtbr member
    The 529 is a good bike for the price. hands down a better bike than the genesis.

Where was the store at? Did they include any after purchase support, lifetime tuneup sort of stuff?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    The store is located at the Jacksonville Town Center. It included free setup, and tune, and lifetime maintenance for free. The LBS only offered 1 year after a $800 purchase of a Specialized.

Already put 20 miles on the bike. Flawless.

mtbr member
    5 day update...

I love this bike. Hit the trails yesterday, and it performed great. Going to be buying some Hookworms, and a new seat this week. Overall really happy with the purchase. Almost 50 miles so far. Ill update as I go.

mtbr member
    I have that same stem bag. And when it comes time for a water bottle, check out the camelbak podium. Their bottle nozzle is one of the best out there.

Oh my god. I looked up the hookworm tires. The 29er tires are over 1,200 grams. Rotating mass will kill you on trails. Is this more for commuting? If it's for commuting, go with the hookworms. They look pretty strong, and they should be considering how much rubber there is on those things. For a mix of trail and commuting, WTB Nanoraptors 29x2.1". Good long lasting tread(relatively speaking) that rolls great when aired up to 50 psi, but can be dropped down for trail use.
    Hookworm | Maxxis Tires USA

For the seat, the WTB speed is actually a decent seat. Not amazing, but I still use it on one of my bikes. It looks like it's pointed up quite a bit. Have you adjusted the angle and the foreward/backward position?

Could also get a shorter stem. Are you stretched really far out on that bike? It looks like an x-small and not much seatpost sticking out. BMX background?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Ill take a look at that tire. Most of the trails here are asphalt or hard packed.

Im going to get a new stem, and handlebar soon. I know these are heavy as heck.

The seat can probably go a little higher, but I have short legs, and a tall upper body. Thats why I went with the 529. It allowed me to be comfortable because I could stretch out.