mtbr member
    Nov 2010

new here...mb fantom comp ds .. size?

Hi,i am jorge from PR, i am a new member and currently researching for my first mtb..

i have been researching many bikes... i decided to go with the fantom comp ds, as it sounds decent in components and good in price... can you give me an opinion on this?

i am 5' 8 - 5' 9 with inseem of 29-30

i have measured myself fully but cant find the info right now and am alone haha...

so do you believe this is a good purchase for the price (including the shipping as i am not included in the 48 states)..? I plan to upgrade along the way as needed... but the bike looks nice, full suspension etc etc... i am nervous to make the purchase (but im also tired of looking for a decent bike, i want it already. lol)...

my real question was... which size do you believe is best? 16.5 or 18.5 , I plan on making my purchase tommorow please let me know

thank you very much, i hope to participate further on these discussions and forums.

jorge

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    btw the BD price as of now is:

$1,095
    +$150 - shipping costs
    ----------

$1,245 TOTAL

mtbr member
    Size wise you should go with the smaller one. From looking at the geometry you would not be able to stand over the medium.
    The Good Times are Killing me

DynoDon
    I have a Fantom Comp, mine is a 18.5, I'm 5'11'', inseam of 31', I would go with the smaller one if I were you. Mine is tight on me in the 5" fork and 5" rear suspension travel settings.
    I really like the bike, it is a bit heavy, but the weight can be trimmed as you upgrade.
    I also have a Fantom Team, that bike is already upgraded, its alot lighter, and worth the extra money. Both bikes have what looks like the same frame. Good Luck with your new bike. I bet you have some good trails there in PR, I'd love to ride them, we are about to get snow..LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks grapenuts and mana.

ok this sounds like a good idea, tonight I am going to try my friend's 17'. I'm hoping that 16.5 and 17 are similar, as this is what some others have recommended. And hopefully order it as well. I am very excited.

As for the trails in PR, there are Many of them, some with scenic areas and other normal fun ones. As a kid I used to ride some of them in my town (Ponce). I am hoping to discover many more as an adult, which is why I am buying the bike (besides for my well being).

i hope everything turns out .. i will keep posted around here..

DynoDon
    Glad I could help, and remember all mfgrs measure differently, the Fantom Pro DS is a great bike too, I think its one of the better deals for the money, and it weighs in close to 26 pounds, I'll be wishing I was in PR when the snow flies in Michigan,, Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks again, yeah it will be very warm here all year, very nice in christmas tho... 70's at night etc jaja... well its a comp ds, which i think is a bit heavier... but, for what i need and will use it for, i think it will be quite alright...

today im testing a khs xc team bike (17' ) , then ill probably choose the 16.5 tonight ... im very pumped...

happy trails to all as well

mtbr member
    So how do you DS riders like the full suspension ride of these bikes? I'm looking at the Elite DS and was just wondering how they handle rough rocks, drops, chop, etc.
    "Got everything you need?"