Bushwacker

New fork install...what's with that?

Finally pulled the trigger on a new fork, goodbye Dart 2. I think I'll cut the steering tube with a pipe cutter to match the length of the old fork. Besides that, do I only have to swap out the race on the old fork? What's the best way to do that? Thanks.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Yes, you will probably have to swap the crown race. Google it for detailed instructions, but I think you might be best off having a shop do it for a few bucks.
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You will need to remove the crown race and put it on the new fork. You can use a small screwdriver to pry up the race a little and then use a punch and hammer to remove it. I use a piece of pipe with a pvc fitting on the end to press it onto the fork. You will also need a starnut, which can be a little tricky to install the first time. The starnut is the threaded part inside that allows you to tighten the stem down on the headset. I usually just screw in the bolt into the center of it and then hammer it in by hitting the bolt.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    Thanks guys. I opted for the easy route and brought it over to the shop for installation. It's been at the shop a week already with the holiday closures and needing to order a front disc caliper adapter for the new fork. I've gone with a full upgrade; new rear shock, new fork, seat post and pedals. Can't wait to get everything installed and hit the trails!

I like bacon... (clyde)
    What new parts did you get?
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

Bushwacker
    The fork is a new Rockshox Tora 318 coil U-Turn with handle bar mounted poplock. The rear shock is a new Rockshox MC 3.3. The pedals are Redline platforms. I needed some offset in the seat post with saddle angle adjustment so I picked up a Easton EA 50.

Members who have read this thread: 0