Bushwacker

New fork install...what's with that?

Finally pulled the trigger on a new fork, goodbye Dart 2. I think I'll cut the steering tube with a pipe cutter to match the length of the old fork. Besides that, do I only have to swap out the race on the old fork? What's the best way to do that? Thanks.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Yes, you will probably have to swap the crown race. Google it for detailed instructions, but I think you might be best off having a shop do it for a few bucks.
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You will need to remove the crown race and put it on the new fork. You can use a small screwdriver to pry up the race a little and then use a punch and hammer to remove it. I use a piece of pipe with a pvc fitting on the end to press it onto the fork. You will also need a starnut, which can be a little tricky to install the first time. The starnut is the threaded part inside that allows you to tighten the stem down on the headset. I usually just screw in the bolt into the center of it and then hammer it in by hitting the bolt.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    Thanks guys. I opted for the easy route and brought it over to the shop for installation. It's been at the shop a week already with the holiday closures and needing to order a front disc caliper adapter for the new fork. I've gone with a full upgrade; new rear shock, new fork, seat post and pedals. Can't wait to get everything installed and hit the trails!

I like bacon... (clyde)
    What new parts did you get?
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

Bushwacker
    The fork is a new Rockshox Tora 318 coil U-Turn with handle bar mounted poplock. The rear shock is a new Rockshox MC 3.3. The pedals are Redline platforms. I needed some offset in the seat post with saddle angle adjustment so I picked up a Easton EA 50.