mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New Bike Ordered

I almost purchased a new last years model of a Cannondale 29er a month ago, but didn't like the $1380 price tag if I didn't have to spend that much. I then started to do a lot of researching on different models of 29ers. I looked at Specialized, Haro, Cannondale, Ibex, Motobecane and Windsor. After debating it for a month I decide to order a Windsor Cliff 29 Pro. It might not be a Cannondale but you sure can't beat the value for the money. Can't wait to have a new bike and get back into biking.

Below is a link. Can't complain about the components for the money that's for sure.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cliff29pro.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hi

Cool Bike, I'm also concidering on getting that bike. Can you tell me what size you ordered and weight of the bike? Dosn't need to be exact, i just want some idea?

Kenji

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ordered a large. As for weight I will have to let you know when it arrives. I am guessing it isn't the lightest bike on the market though.

Also I have to say they are very quick on shipping. I ordered it sunday evening and I got a notice at 4pm eastern time monday afternoon that it was shipped. With the time change that meant it was in the shipping process by 1pm Arizona time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    "wow" How Exciting, Well I Look Forward To Your Response. I'm Stumped On Which Bike To Get The 29er Pro Or This One That You Ordered.

Kenji

Cartographer
    If you like SRAM get the Windsor, if you like Shimano get the the Fantom.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    If you like SRAM get the Windsor, if you like Shimano get the the Fantom.

I'm new to this and i dont know anyone thats into bikes. Can you tell me what's your opinon on that? What are the Pro's and Con's of both?

Thanks, Kenji

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am still new as well. I know that from what I have tried I prefer the sram components. I know people that prefer both.

Cartographer
    I prefer the Shimano components when it comes to derailleurs and shifters. I've always used them and I'm just used to the feel of them. However, my opinion on these parts should not dictate your decision. Both are great bikes and you will most likely be happy with your choice.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Dear Anmetcalf,

So how did your new Winsor Cliff 29 Pro turn out? Also did you ever get a chance on weighing it?

Thank's Kenji

P.S.~ post some pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took some picture, I'll try and get them posted this evening. Also I'll get it weighted for you as well.

I am really happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been a little busy so I haven't been able to get the pictures posted, but I will try to get that done soon.

As for weight. It is a size large with 2 battle cages and a computer and it weights in at 29-29.5lbs. I think it is pretty darn light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Okay.........I was finally able to spend some time and get my pictures resized and uploaded.

Last edited by anmetcalf; 07-19-2008 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564162674tSOmbk

here is a link to some more pictures. If there are any other pictures you would like to see just let me know.
    Last edited by anmetcalf; 07-18-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    I just ordered the Windsor as well. I had a tough time deciding between the Windsor and the Motobecane Fanthom Pro 29. I like SRAM better and I also liked the better brakes (though I will be putting a 7" rotor on the front) and 11-34 cassette on the Windsor. The powerspline crankset is a bit of a worry on the Windsor though. I also liked the fact that the frame seemed a little more advanced (since its a Fuji) with the hydro-formed tubing and what appear to be a bit more compliant stays. I also like the zero-stack headset which allows for more welding area on the longer headtube (having snapped a bike with a short headtube at the weld in the past).

I figure I can ride the crap crankset till it fails then upgrade later. I got the large so if its under 30lbs then I will be quite happy. It is replacing a 33lbs AM full suspension so 30lbs will probably feel light.

Looking forward to my first 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I now have over 50 miles on the bike and I have to say that I am very happy with my selection. The seems to be a very sold bike. I did have to do a complete set up of the derailers but that only takes about 15 min, and I actually expected to have to do that. Other then that I haven't had any problems and I really don't even call that a problem just part of setting it up.