Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

new 700DS owner...

Hello all,
    This is my first post and my first bike.
    I like it so far, but I just ride the streets for now.
    I want to get a little used to the bike before doing anything extreme on it.

Bike seems to be solid, but I already have a couple of issues.
    First off - the dart 2 is leaking oil where the damper is. - Apparently this is a know issues and I will have to do some repairs on that. (alternately, can someone suggest a good replacement for rock shox? not too pricey though)
    second is the spring on the rear shock. 850Lbs - wow. can someone please suggest a replacement spring for it?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fxnsht
    Hello all,
    This is my first post and my first bike.
    I like it so far, but I just ride the streets for now.
    I want to get a little used to the bike before doing anything extreme on it.

Bike seems to be solid, but I already have a couple of issues.
    First off - the dart 2 is leaking oil where the damper is. - Apparently this is a know issues and I will have to do some repairs on that. (alternately, can someone suggest a good replacement for rock shox? not too pricey though)
    second is the spring on the rear shock. 850Lbs - wow. can someone please suggest a replacement spring for it?

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't replace Dart 2 since its a beginner bike and Dart 2 is a beginner fork. Good forks are pretty expensive. As far as rear shock goes, I replaced it with Cane Creek Cloud 9 and it works great ($225 shock + $12 spacers). Some people here replaced just the spring, its much cheaper if you can find the exact fit, but air shock is much better. You would need 450-500 lbs spring if you are around 180lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Call or email bikesdirect (guess you got it from them or Sportymama) to get a replacement fork if it is leaking oil. The rear spring can be purchased from fox directly, look for their website and let them know you need a rear spring. The shock kolyan2k is in my opinion a way better replacement than a spring if you got the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you both for the reply.
    i'll try to get the front replaced, but i'm just wondering if there is a part i can order and repair it myself? i know it doesn't make much sense, but i'd rather do it myself for a couple of reasons - learn how to do it (among other things associated with bikes) and not have to wait for the front (does anyone have experience on how long it usually takes?)

as far as the back shock, i'll look into Cloud 9 or similar in the near future, right now front is the priority

Thanks again.
    Last edited by fxnsht; 07-26-2008 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    I wouldn't replace Dart 2 since its a beginner bike and Dart 2 is a beginner fork. Good forks are pretty expensive. As far as rear shock goes, I replaced it with Cane Creek Cloud 9 and it works great ($225 shock + $12 spacers). Some people here replaced just the spring, its much cheaper if you can find the exact fit, but air shock is much better. You would need 450-500 lbs spring if you are around 180lbs.
    by the way...
    can you please tell me the exact sizes for the shock and spacers? any good places to order from?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The only thing about fixing it yourself is that for some unforseen reason something happens and it gets worse by you working on the forks it may void your warranty, but then again it may be something minor. think about it.

Bushwacker
    by the way...
    can you please tell me the exact sizes for the shock and spacers? any good places to order from?
    Thanks
    Here's a thread link for you that have the measurements for the rear shock Well I got my 700ds in mail today
    You might want to ask who ever you bought the bike from if you can return the leaking fork and and get credit for an upgraded one. Considering the lack of customer service from Bikesdirect/Sportmama it's a long shot but still worth asking. Otherwise, I would ask them if they can send you a new fork and you will return the defective one when you recieve the new one so you can keep riding.
    Here's an alternative site to either buy a low end shock like the KS 260 and just swap out the spring or upgrade to air shock like the KS 562 Focus, which is what I may do. http://www.xxcycle.com/shock-absorbe...d-shock,en.php Otherwise the Fox website has springs as already mentioned.
    You just need to focus on getting the rear suspension the way you want it. The derailers are excellent quality as are the brakes when you dial them in. It's a a great bike to rider for a couple years and decide what type of mountain biking you want to do as you get better, ie. downhill, cross crountry, all mountain ect.
    You might to read through this http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-sus...1_1526crx.aspx for more set up tips like the seat tube rivet removal etc. The frame is rock solid and the velociraptor tires, particularly the back one, eats up slop like crazy.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job!

Thanks.
    i got some reading to do now.
    i
    ll let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks for the advice guys...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just got off the phone with cane creek.
    ordered cloud 9. (thanks for all your help)
    the guy said it comes with all the mounting hardware for the bike, but they don't have the m8 bolts... my question is do i need those bolts, or can i use the ones from the stock shock?

Also, does anyone know what do i need to look for if i am to get a pre-cut front fork for the 700DS?
    does 1 1/8",8" sound right?

i'm new here, so forgive me for trivial questions.

Thanks...
    Last edited by fxnsht; 07-29-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Bushwacker
    1 1/8 is correct. Maybe you can pull the fork off and measure the length.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just got off the phone with cane creek.
    ordered cloud 9. (thanks for all your help)
    the guy said it comes with all the mounting hardware for the bike, but they don't have the m8 bolts... my question is do i need those bolts, or can i use the ones from the stock shock?

Also, does anyone know what do i need to look for if i am to get a pre-cut front fork for the 700DS?
    does 1 1/8",8" sound right?

i'm new here, so forgive me for trivial questions.

Thanks...
    dont need the bolts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i think i'm done with major things for now.
    might get new pedals, lights, etc...
    what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is that Dart 3 in front ? Unless you got it real cheap................ Dart3 and Dart2 are almost the same and both are entry level cheap forks. There are nice forks for $200-$250

Cloud 9 sure is a nice upgrade over the stock. I have mine at 150psi (I'm 180 lbs) and I adjust the compression depending on where i ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i think i'm done with major things for now.
    might get new pedals, lights, etc...
    what do you guys think?

Very nice!

The Dart 3's are entry level,but pretty good forks considering.I'd ride them to death then replace them with something better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice bro! You made the right choice getting the cloud nine. Have fun with her.

Bushwacker
    Looks nice. I thought the Dart 3 came standard with the bar mounted poplock feature but I don't see it on your bike. Give a report on the ride and if you find any "bob" effect from the rear air shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey guys, just wanted to make a couple of comments.
    Dart 3 i got dirt cheap (craigslist, taken off a brand new bike), and mainly for the reason that my dart 2 was leaking, and i didn't want to have to wait for the replacement without the ability to ride the bike. (Note: the size 1 1/8", 8' is correct)
    cloud nine, i also got for a good price, mainly 'cause i really didn't like the stock one.
    as for the reports of any "bob" effects - it'll have to wait a little for a number of reasons. first of - this is my first bike, and i'm not sure when/if i'm going to go for the trail or anything else other then riding it on the streets. also, i only got one chance to ride this setup, cause i'm on vacation right now, and don't have much time left for the bike.
    i think kolyan2k can do a better report, since he got the cloud nine a while ago... (btw, how do you like the easton pedals?)
    also, can anyone recommend a good LED lights set, front and back?
    thanks again guys. based on the reading in this forum, i really like the way this bike turned out so far. it's a pleasure to ride...

Bushwacker
    Those Raptor tires are itching for dirt, don't deny them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My fork started to leak oil from the bottom adjustment. I'm sooo pissed cause I don't want to spend more money on this bike. I'll figure out a fix for this. Anyways, I love my Easton pedals. You just have to be careful cause the small pegs can really tear you up raw

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    My fork started to leak oil from the bottom adjustment. I'm sooo pissed cause I don't want to spend more money on this bike. I'll figure out a fix for this. Anyways, I love my Easton pedals. You just have to be careful cause the small pegs can really tear you up raw
    Don't know if this is related to your problem but I discovered you can't rest the bike on the fork on the ground without the tire. It sits on the rebound adjustment knob. I wonder if doing that causes oil leaks? At the very least it wears the knob down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Stark, for now I'm gonna just lock it out and worry about it later but it sounds like it will be easy to fix, check this out i found it on the rockshox web page

Q.OIL LEAK - My oil damped fork sometimes develops a small amount of oil around the lower leg bolt. Is there any thing wrong?

A.Three things to check:

1. RockShox suspension forks use black nylon crush washers that help seal in suspension oil. Crush washers are located in between the bottom of the lower leg and the shaft bolt. Occasionally, if the fork shaft bolt becomes loose, the fork has been serviced, or a contaminate has worked its way under the crush washer you may get some residual oil leakage. It won't affect the performance of the fork, unless the leaking is excessive. Regardless, you should replace those crush washers and keep the fork sealed up tight. Refer to the RockShox spare parts catalog for service kits.

2. PURE damped forks: your rebound oil damper may have been damaged if the shaft bolt was installed incorrectly. When bolting your fork back together, be sure to follow the procedure below:

-Insert the adjuster knob or 2.5mm hex wrench into the rebound damper shaft.
    -Turn full CLOCKWISE (to the right/closed). Don't force it past the stop point! This will close the valve and provide clearance for the rebound shaft bolt to thread in completely. If the adjuster is in the full counterclockwise (to the left/open) position the bolt will damage the plastic internal adjuster rod inside the damper shaft, and may strip the adjuster hex fitting of the rebound damper rod.
    -Install the lower leg assembly.
    -Add the recommended oil volume inside the lower leg assembly.
    -Bolt it up!

3. An impact to the external Rebound Adjuster Knob can force the internal damper rod through the damper shaft, un-seating it from the threaded shaft stop point. If this happens, oil can leak through the damper shaft and out of the shaft bolt. The damper assembly will need to be replaced.

If your damper internals are damaged, oil may leak from the damper, through the shaft bolt. If the leak is caused by impact or incorrect installation, it is NOT covered under warranty.

Bushwacker
    Wow. I store my bike without the wheel on and I noticed one day the damper knob had some wear on it....WTF? Then I realized it had been sitting on the knob which was getting slowly filed down. Thanks to your post it seems pretty clear a small impact could blow the assembly out. I have it sitting on a rag now but I'll have to figure out something better than that. I haven't noticed a leak, yet.

mtbr member
    Its not necessarily your fault. Read this thread.

Rockshox had a problem with defective seals on the bottom of the damper leg on a lot of 08 Darts and Tora forks. It should be looked at for warranty service.

Edit: fixed link
    Last edited by boomn; 08-06-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Bushwacker
    ^ I couldn't get that link to work but here is another one regarding ongoing seal leak issues
    http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17308 Rock shox needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=kolyan2k]Is that Dart 3 in front ? Unless you got it real cheap................ Dart3 and Dart2 are almost the same and both are entry level cheap forks. There are nice forks for $200-$250
    [QUOTE]
    just curious, which forks are good for 200-250? thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast