mtbr member
    Jun 2011

The new 2012 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29er?

OK, ok, ok. Let me start by saying this is total unsubstantiated speculation on my part. Yes, BS is another way of stating it!

I was wondering what's taking BikesDirect/Motobecane so long to release the 2012 model of the Moto Fly Ti 29er so I decided to visit the ORA site; the actual manufacturer of all Motobecane titanium road and mountain bike frames. The link below is what I found:

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Now, this frame may not be anything at all like what's released this year. In fact, the 2012 Moto Ti frame may be the same tried and true frame that has been their staple for the Moto Fly Team for years now..... But fact is, it has been years, and any manufacturer knows you've got to improve and upgrade in order to survive!

Btw, a less imposing Motobecane logo and updated Fly Team decal design upgrade is also in order!!!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this frame may be the precursor to the new 2012 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29er coming soon to a BikesDirect web page near you!!!!

I feel in my gut, the Ti frame will change this year. Just think, the Fantoms changed in 2012 after all these years!

My chips are down!!!
    Last edited by Odiggy; 04-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    OK, ok, ok. Let me start by saying this is total unsubstantiated speculation on my part. Yes, BS is another way of stating it!

I was wondering what's taking BikesDirect/Motobecane so long to release the 2012 model of the Moto Fly Ti 29er so I decided to visit the ORA site; the actual manufacturer of all Motobecane titanium road and mountain bike frames. The link below is what I found:

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Now, this frame may not be anything at all like what's released this year. In fact, the 2012 Moto Ti frame may be the same tried and true frame that has been their staple for the Moto Fly Team for years now..... But fact is, it has been years, and any manufacturer knows you've got to improve and upgrade in order to survive!

Btw, a less imposing Motobecane logo and updated Fly Team decal design is also in order!!!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this frame may be the precursor to the new 2012 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29er coming soon to a BikesDirect web page near you!!!!

I feel in my gut, the Ti frame will change this year. Just think, the Fantoms changed in 2012 after all these years!

My chips are down!!!
    If the 2012 Fantom Pro is any reference, the new Fly Ti frame is more likely to be closer to this design. Notice the curved downtube:

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD
    Last edited by Odiggy; 04-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I hope so. The curved tube looks more modern.

Hmm. Now I have a problem. I was seriously considering the FS 29er, but might wait it out until August to see the 2012 Ti 29ers. I might as well continue riding my Al 29er for now.

mtbr member

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

Btw, a less imposing Motobecane logo and updated Fly Team decal design upgrade is also in order!!!

My chips are down!!!
    Damn, that one would be cool. It has a very distinctive look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post

Hmm. Now I have a problem. I was seriously considering the FS 29er, but might wait it out until August to see the 2012 Ti 29ers. I might as well continue riding my Al 29er for now.
    Latest word is that the 2012s will be available for sale in late April, early May. That's just 2weeks from now!

mtbr member
    Last I heard, via bikes direct facebook, was that they won't be available until August. BD would take pre-orders a bit before August.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Curved seatstays and detachable dropouts aren't things they're going to do and keep the pricing the same or similar. I doubt it will change very much - probably a 44mm headtube, maybe a curved downtube.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. Its hard enough keeping a bottom bracket tight and quiet in these frames, those bolt on dropouts would probably be squeek city.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Latest word is that the 2012s will be available for sale in late April, early May. That's just 2weeks from now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Curved seatstays and detachable dropouts aren't things they're going to do and keep the pricing the same or similar. I doubt it will change very much - probably a 44mm headtube, maybe a curved downtube.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. Its hard enough keeping a bottom bracket tight and quiet in these frames, those bolt on dropouts would probably be squeek city.
    I would loctite everything I reasonably can with a Ti frame. Bottom Bracket, replaceable dropouts, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry, I was trying to delete multiple duplicates that appeared for no reason I can give. Instead, I also deleted an entry or two of my previous comments.

I closed then re-opened MTBR. Hopefully that resolves the problem....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

Yes, I agree. After I looked around the ORA site, I revised my prediction to this frame:

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

This is more in keeping in line with the current Fantom Pro frame which also changed for 2012.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Along with a curved downtube, I'm hoping for maybe a tapered headtube and a BB30 bottom bracket. If those wishes come though I might have no excuse NOT to buy one. It's hard to tell from ORA's website if they can produce frames with those features. If so, hopefully they can do it at a price that works within Motobecane's existing business model!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was looking at the 13MB206 earlier today. If BikesDirect isn't selling them, who is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any 'Big Guys' have experience with this bike? I am debating between the fly team ti, and phantom, only because i wonder if i need the heavier duty wheels. I would prefer the Fly Team Ti if it will handle my size, but i am 6ft 2in, 225 lb. I ride in rocky terrain. Are those wheels durable enough for us larger guys???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have read several reviews from 'big guys' who claim the ti fly is stiff and durable enough for their needs. As for the wheelset, I would trash those things immediately, and in your case, buy some Stans Flows. In my opinion, when you buy a Motobecane bike you're really paying for a frame, fork, basic drive train, and brakes. The rest of the bike is low-end junk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulus911 View Post
    when you buy a Motobecane bike you're really paying for a frame, fork, basic drive train, and brakes. The rest of the bike is low-end junk.
    Depends on the bike. I have a Ti BD road bike. The seatpost, seat, wheels, stem and handlebars are nice, but definitely not top of the line. They're light enough and I don't have any issues with them.

However, I have a BD Gravity Point 4 and the seatpost, seat, wheels, stem and handlebars are heavy and not aesthetically pleasing. They serve their function and that's about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depends on the bike. I have a Ti BD road bike. The seatpost, seat, wheels, stem and handlebars are nice, but definitely not top of the line. They're light enough and I don't have any issues with them.

However, I have a BD Gravity Point 4 and the seatpost, seat, wheels, stem and handlebars are heavy and not aesthetically pleasing. They serve their function and that's about it.

Agreed with your assessment of the Gravity Point 4 components, by and large. I don't have much issue with the wheels, but then again, I haven't ridden in 15 years and my last set of 26er wheels/tires were heavier than these, so they've been given a pass . Handlebars, stem, seat and seatpost all need to go.... stat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Not the 1st time I've been wrong!

ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD

My chips are down!!!
    Just for the record, I did hedge my bets by saying "may" quite a few times!

Looks like the Fly team is back in stock next week and according to the photos and description, it's unchanged from previous years. It's still an incredible value and a great bike overall.
    Here's the link I found on fb for pre-orders of the 30speed XO only:

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    good point, lardo. The components on mtb bikes and road bikes can vary, so deciding how good of a value each Moto's bikes offers can vary from bike to bike. I should have indicated I was referring to the most recent moto fly 29ers. The wheels on those bikes are probably complete poo poo.

as for the new the new Ti 29 X0 preorder, I'm disappointed to see no changes, particularly in the geometry. I would have liked to have seen slightly more aggressive geometry (e.g. 71 deg headtube instead of 69.5-70 deg). I'll admit, I have no experience comparing the difference in steering or stability between those headtube angles. Just kind of hoping for some changes :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some features of the 13-MB-206 frame would update the current offering and keep it going for several years. A tapered headtube, the curved downtube, the curved seat tube allows short chainstays. A 435 rear chainstay with slack headtube angle of 69.5 and 74 seat tube angle would do it. This frame has more innovations. The seatstay top tube interface passing the seat tube without connections and the bottom curved seatstay design are novel for XC. This frame could be a separate model, an AM TI hardtail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsurfr View Post
    Any 'Big Guys' have experience with this bike? I am debating between the fly team ti, and phantom, only because i wonder if i need the heavier duty wheels. I would prefer the Fly Team Ti if it will handle my size, but i am 6ft 2in, 225 lb. I ride in rocky terrain. Are those wheels durable enough for us larger guys???
    Did anybody get back to you on this question. I am 6'2 235lbs and am looking at the same bikes you are looking at. Just trying to figure out what would be the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car5469 View Post
    Did anybody get back to you on this question. I am 6'2 235lbs and am looking at the same bikes you are looking at. Just trying to figure out what would be the best.
    I have not ridden the titanium 29er, but I do have a Fly Ti 26er. I am about 220, and have not had any issues with the frame. I built the bike up from the frame, so I had a set of custom wheels made. I know the frame will hold up to your weight, but I cannot speak for the wheels. You can get a set of custom wheels with hope hubs and Mavic XM 819 rims for around $600-700. I think the wheels were probably the best investment I have made so far with my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, the TI 29ers have come and gone, but no 26 so far. I think they are skipping a year.
    Did anyone end up ordering the 29ers, and how do you feel they compared to a 26?