mtbr member

Neighbor needs help.

Got another person interested in Mtn. biking,so he wants me to see what he can get for a good price.First thing that popped into my mind was Bikes Direct. He has rode my 29er and loves it,so it must be a 29er. He has no knowledge of bicycle repair,but I can help him with that.He also needs one for his wife,which it seems that they don't have anything for a woman with disc brakes? Anyways,the lower in price the better,without getting crap.I would say 300-500 per bike. I see that BD is out of alot of stuff,so let me know what you recommend and I'll keep checking for him.He will be on paved streets,gravel,dirt and maybe venture out into the woods,but he's not going to be a hardcore rider.Main purpose is to get out and ride.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If he's not going to be anything too hard core and will be doing a lot of street riding, the Trek 820 is a pretty good bike. It is on the heavy side because the frame is made of steel, but that's also what makes it more comfortable, because it will flex more than aluminum. Only problem is, it doesn't come in a 29er, but it does start out at $359. I put a lot of miles on my 820, and really liked it.

Another option would be a Giant Roam 1 or 2. The Giant Roam has 700 CC wheels - think of it as a 29er with skinnier wheels. Its kind of a step in between a hybrid and a mountain bike in the respect that it is more rugged than a hydrid, but not quite as rugged as a mountain bike. You can get the Roam 2 for $500 and the Roam 1 for $600.

As far as BikesDirect is concerned, I just ordered a Windsor Cliff 4500 for $300, and the experience has been very positive. I'd say almost anything on BikesDirect that fits and is in stock will be a safe bet, except if he is not mechanically inclined, he will need to pay a bike store $30-$40 to make adjustments after he assembles it.

mtbr member
    BD has a new 29er line... Gravity Point1 to Point5. The point one should fit in their price budget and has decent specs for a budget 29er. $450.00

It will handle everything he is looking for. It won't be a great performer on the trails, but it will get the job done for the sub $500 price point.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point1.htm

Another choice would the the Windsor 29er Comp at $550. Has the same drivetrain but better brakes (Avid BB5) and fork (Dart 3).

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...f29comp_xi.htm

There really aren't many choice for women specific bikes from the LBS or online. Honestly there isn't much difference besides the saddle, color, and possibly the grips/brake levers (smaller hands). Get two of the same bikes and make the required adjustments to suite her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    BD has a new 29er line... Gravity Point1 to Point5. The point one should fit in their price budget and has decent specs for a budget 29er. $450.00

It will handle everything he is looking for. It won't be a great performer on the trails, but it will get the job done for the sub $500 price point.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point1.htm

Another choice would the the Windsor 29er Comp at $550. Has the same drivetrain but better brakes (Avid BB5) and fork (Dart 3).

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...f29comp_xi.htm

There really aren't many choice for women specific bikes from the LBS or online. Honestly there isn't much difference besides the saddle, color, and possibly the grips/brake levers (smaller hands). Get two of the same bikes and make the required adjustments to suite her.
    I was actually looking into the gravity 1 for him. Just need to figure out which size he needs. I am 6" with a 32" inseam and he is about the same. I ride a 19/LG. Does Gravity size theres differently? looks like a 19 would be too small and he would need a 21 or a 23 according to the geometry specs.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Biker
    I was actually looking into the gravity 1 for him. Just need to figure out which size he needs. I am 6" with a 32" inseam and he is about the same. I ride a 19/LG. Does Gravity size theres differently? looks like a 19 would be too small and he would need a 21 or a 23 according to the geometry specs.
    No their sizes will be similar... the 19" has a 31.3" stand over height. The geometry is actually very close to the Fisher 29er Marlin (same frame as Mamba/Cobia/X-cal).. main difference is the Gravity has a little taller stand over. (31.3" vs 30.4"). It should handle very much the same.. 5mm shorter Chain Stays/Wheel Base and .2 degree steeper Head Angle... so the difference is negligible.

Tell him to ride a Marlin to get a good comparison of fitment, fork, and component level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    No their sizes will be similar... the 19" has a 31.3" stand over height. The geometry is actually very close to the Fisher 29er Marlin (same frame as Mamba/Cobia/X-cal).. main difference is the Gravity has a little taller stand over. (31.3" vs 30.4"). It should handle very much the same.. 5mm shorter Chain Stays/Wheel Base and .2 degree steeper Head Angle... so the difference is negligible.

Tell him to ride a Marlin to get a good comparison.
    Ok.Just thought that he should have around 1.5-2 inches of clearance from the bar for the BOYS?
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    The pant's inseam is different from the cycling inseam... being 6'0" I would expect around 33"-34" cycling inseam (floor to pelvic bone).

I'm 6'6" and wear 36" pants and a cycling inseam around 38" so I normally don't have that issue.

Usually the Effective Top Tube length is the measurement to go by... if you have a longer torso and shorter legs you would pick a size that fits your reach.
    Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; 04-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok,I'll tell him to get a 19 like mine.Thanks for the info.
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Biker
    Ok,I'll tell him to get a 19 like mine.Thanks for the info.
    If he is comfortable on yours check the stand over height for comparison to the Gravity.

The Windsor Cliff 29er has the same frame as the older Fuji Tahoe 29er's... and I believe the Geometry is going to be similar to the new ones too. It has a 31.8" Stand Over for a 19" (Medium) Frame.