mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need your opinion

My name is Wesley and I am a new to this site I started my Mt Biking experience in January 08 with a Cannodale F7 Disc, set up: Rock Shock 08 Tora 302 fork, Front and Rear Sram X7 Derl with X7 quick Shifter.

I want to enter the world of Full suspension and I found BikesDirect.com. I have searched for reviews on the Motobecane 2008 Fantom Trail DS and didnt find any. Im thinking that this is the bike I want, to go along with my Cannodale F7.

Any insight would be greatly apprciated

Newbie Wesley.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i am also new. and i got 700ds. i guess the first questions you wanna ask yourself is: What type of riding you do ? and How much you wanna spend ?

If you don't do serious mt. biking and don't really need 5'' in suspension travel, then 700ds is nice. And if you do want 5'' of travel for serious mt. biking, jumps, etc. then look at Fantom series, although if you buy Trail, for serious mt. biking you will need to upgrade most parts so it would make more sense to at least get Comp DS. Almost all the time if you are planning on upgrading components, you will end up spending more money overtime then just purchasing a better bike from the beginning. I think i made this mistake. I should have bought Comp DS instead of my 700ds........but hey.....its $400 more ! (dont get me wrong, there are people in here that prefer 700ds over Fantom, again simply because they dont need 5'' travel in suspension)

ps. in both 700ds and Fantom Trail rear shock is kinda junk and needs at least a new spring or even better a new air shock

also look at IBEX bikes.
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-08-2008 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    here is a nice link:

http://mountainbike.about.com/od/buy...nsion_size.htm

wanna add to that link: i think both 700ds and Fantoms weight the same, 700ds has about 2'' of travel and Fantom has maximum of 5'', for more travel you pay more money, so if you dont need it, dont buy it.

EDIT: DONT WANT TO MISLEAD PEOPLE HERE. I SEE THAT SOME PLACES HAVE 3.5'' OF REAR TRAVEL FOR 400DS-700DS, OTHER HAVE 4'', AND I WAS UNDER IMPRESSION THAT IT HAS ONLY 2''
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks

Thanks for the help I am now looking at the IBEX Super, Fantom Comp DS, The Cannodale Rush 6Z or Prophet 4 and Trek Fuel EX5.5. The first two are about $1000 and the Cannodales and Treks are about $1250. I just added the last three just because the price difference is not uch more and its at my LBS which is more convineant then mail order for any warranty work that may happen.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ibex Ignition Super is sold out (new models coming in fall), they only have Ignition-3. and Comp DS is better then Ignition-3. I think Comp DS is even better then Super.