mtbr member

New question here. Need some advice on the Fantom Trail

I have pretty much decided on the Fantom Trail, but I have some questions for anyone with experience with this bike.

I would like to know if somebody can provide an actual weight for the bike. I had a Fantom Comp weighed, and it was about 29lbs without pedals (think it was a 20" which is what I would need, I am about 6'2') so I assume the trail is within a pound or so of that - would it weigh less perhaps? I am not really a weight weenie, but I have been struggling with a bike that weighs nearly 40lbs and so I am interested in the weight of the bike. My current bike also has issues with the cheap disc brakes which can make a level street seem like an uphill battle and a wobbly back wheel (the problems are most likely related).

If I buy the Fantom Trail, are there any components on the trail should I keep an eye on and possibly replace early? I have been trying to educate myself a bit on the components and have a general idea of the quality of the ones I can see, but what about the BB and the other nuts and bolts stuff, is it worth upgrading them?

Another question I have is, for a casual rider, does it make sense to jump to the elite (I am not a fan of silver so the comp is out)? I can probably make the jump in price, but I am not sure it is worth it for me. I ride mostly streets, but need the versatility for trails as well. The value I would need in going to the elite would have to be in smoother shifting, hassle free brakes and maybe some weight savings - any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    I have pretty much decided on the Fantom Trail, but I have some questions for anyone with experience with this bike.

I would like to know if somebody can provide an actual weight for the bike. I had a Fantom Comp weighed, and it was about 29lbs without pedals (think it was a 20" which is what I would need, I am about 6'2') so I assume the trail is within a pound or so of that - would it weigh less perhaps? I am not really a weight weenie, but I have been struggling with a bike that weighs nearly 40lbs and so I am interested in the weight of the bike. My current bike also has issues with the cheap disc brakes which can make a level street seem like an uphill battle and a wobbly back wheel (the problems are most likely related).

If I buy the Fantom Trail, are there any components on the trail should I keep an eye on and possibly replace early? I have been trying to educate myself a bit on the components and have a general idea of the quality of the ones I can see, but what about the BB and the other nuts and bolts stuff, is it worth upgrading them?

Another question I have is, for a casual rider, does it make sense to jump to the elite (I am not a fan of silver so the comp is out)? I can probably make the jump in price, but I am not sure it is worth it for me. I ride mostly streets, but need the versatility for trails as well. The value I would need in going to the elite would have to be in smoother shifting, hassle free brakes and maybe some weight savings - any suggestions?
    I have the elite, so I don't know about the weight of the trail. For me, the elite was worth it, and I would guess it's weight was around 28-30 lbs for the 18 inch model. It comes with hydraulic brakes and a much better front fork, not to mention better shifters and derailleurs.

If the bikes are still shipping with that KMC9000 chain, it will probably require replacement very soon. My chain froze solid on about 5 links during the first trail ride, and many others have had the same experience. I'm guessing once the chain gets a little stress on it, it stretches out, narrows, and pinches the rollers. I saw on a forum that someone emailed bikesdirect about the chain, and bikesdirect sent them an SRAM chain after the stock one had problems, so it wouldn't hurt to try that if you experience the same issues.

I think you should consider if you might upgrade anything when you buy the bike, If you are planning on upgrading anything it would probably save you a good deal of money to just buy the better one instead.

Either way, I think you will be happy with whichever one you end up with, and be sure to post some pics of your new rig for us.

mtbr member
    Thanks, the elite is looking better and better every time I look at it (online). Also thanks for the tip on the chain, I think I will need to pick a new one up if I buy the trail or the elite to be on the safe side.

Does anyone with a Fantom Trail have any idea what the weight is for a 20"? I am trying to get an idea if it is heavier than the Comp that I had checked out which was 29lbs (which seems respectable for an MTB) Thanks.

mtbr member
    Although the Elite is awesome, and I would really like to pick one up, I think I am going with the Trail and will upgrade the brakes to BB7's and possibly the crankset to a FSA Afterburner with a MEGAExo BB later on. Since the frames are the same I can use it as a platform to build on. The shock on the Elite looks like a big upgrade, but I can probably live with the DART3 (I am not planning any big drops for this bike).

My primary question now relates to the size. I have seen the manufacturer page which quotes a 33.5" standover for the 22", but I have also seen other standover heights quoted for this bike (on Ebay) which are shorter than the manufacturer specs (31.5" for a 22"). The same seller's listing however also states "SUB 3 lb ULTRA FLY FRAME" which appears to be an error since she is selling the Fantom Trail with a stated 3.2lb frame. I have however have read about this bike seeming smaller than expected. I am not really comfortable with 33.5" standover, but I am a tall guy and 31.5" would be OK. Do any owners of the 20" or 22" know what the actual (measured) standover height is for the Trail?

http://motobecane.com/flygeometry.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure I would trust the Moto website. It is apparently way out of date so there are bound to be inaccuracies. I just purchased a Fantom Trail from Ebay and should be here shortly. I would probably trust the measurements she lists on Ebay instead.

Good luck.

Cartographer
    Standover is measured at the lowest point of the top bar for these bikes. Take the "J" measurement and add an inch or two at LEAST to get the middle stand-over height.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    I just saw some in the store locally and they were pretty close to what I would like, however the standover for the 22" felt more like a road bike (the guy at the store said that he thought I ought to go with the 22"). I like the 20" though and the top tube was just a fraction of an inch shorter than the 22". I also had one weighed and it was 29lbs (Fantom Comp) which seems pretty good. Overall they are very nice bikes with nice components. I think any of the Fantom's would be a good choice, however I just found a smoking deal on a rockhopper that I cannot pass up.

For anyone interested in the Motos on Ebay there is a deal going on through MSN live.com where you can get upto 10%+ (it changes every day) cash back on Ebay purchases using Paypal, and there is also an Ebay 10% off that you can use in addition. If you are interested you can check out one of the deals sites (I am not sure if I can post their names). I have already used it with a bike purchase on Ebay and saved a couple hundred bucks.

mtbr member
    Xocomaoox, that seems consistent with what they felt like (taller that I thought). I was also only looking at the Comps, they don't seem to carry the Trail in the stores. The Trail will also be higher since it has a taller fork. IIRC the actual frame dimensions for the top tubes were on the mark from what the Moto site said they would be. Unfortunately I did not measure standover since that was a feel thing anyway.