mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Need Help Sizing fantom 29 pro

First off, hi to everybody. This is my first post on here and the fantom 29 pro will be my first real mountain bike

I am going to be ordering it from BD and am not sure what size to get. I am 6'1", weight 170lb and am pretty proportional. I don't have a tape measure here to gauge my cycling inseam.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex

Former Bike Wrench
    Your probably going to be a 19" frame on the Motobecane Fantom 29er at 6' 1" and proportional

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Your probably going to be a 19" frame on the Motobecane Fantom 29er at 6' 1" and proportional
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the help!

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am 6'0" 175 lbs and have a 33.75" standover measurement. I have the 17" frame and it gives me about 2" clearance. I have been documenting my experience in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

You will probably be OK with the 19" but you should get a tape measure and determine your standover.

Former Bike Wrench
    While stand over should be taken into consideration, it is not the way to size a bike. You should size a bike to the top tube length, as this measurement is what will actually be felt when riding the bike. Having a bike with too short of a top tube will require you to use an excessively long stem (which will slow down your steering). Too small a frame may also cause you to use a very long seatpost for proper leg extension which may make your handlebar height a problem if you like them more even with your saddle height (unless you like the racer boy position with the bars a couple of inches below your saddle). This will require using a high rise stem which can also affect front end handling.

29er inherently will have less stand over than an equivalent sized 26er hardtail. There have been several posters that claim you always size down for a 29er due to this. That is not always the case, ask people who actually size people to bicycles for a living.

Not trying to confuse here, but as someone who worked in bike shops for many years (8 to be exact) I know that just using the stand over for sizing is not the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good advice about standover. The height of your tires will affect the top tube height too. Maybe not a whole lot though...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 6'0" and i have a 19 inch Fantom pro 29er. It's perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    While stand over should be taken into consideration, it is not the way to size a bike. You should size a bike to the top tube length, as this measurement is what will actually be felt when riding the bike. Having a bike with too short of a top tube will require you to use an excessively long stem (which will slow down your steering). Too small a frame may also cause you to use a very long seatpost for proper leg extension which may make your handlebar height a problem if you like them more even with your saddle height (unless you like the racer boy position with the bars a couple of inches below your saddle). This will require using a high rise stem which can also affect front end handling.

29er inherently will have less stand over than an equivalent sized 26er hardtail. There have been several posters that claim you always size down for a 29er due to this. That is not always the case, ask people who actually size people to bicycles for a living.

Not trying to confuse here, but as someone who worked in bike shops for many years (8 to be exact) I know that just using the stand over for sizing is not the way to go.
    You did confuse. Wouldnt a 29er stand higher normally? If we are to use the top tube - then what do we measure on the body to relate to that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by novon
    First off, hi to everybody. This is my first post on here and the fantom 29 pro will be my first real mountain bike

I am going to be ordering it from BD and am not sure what size to get. I am 6'1", weight 170lb and am pretty proportional. I don't have a tape measure here to gauge my cycling inseam.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alex
    I went with the chart size and got the 15" - it fits perfectly. Measuring the knee to pedal spindle imaginary vertical line way shows it's slightly small (off 1") - but arm length and feel is just right.