mtbr member
    May 2012

Need Help Fantom comp or Gravity 29.3 or ???

This will be my first mtb. Just moved to WY and I'm seeing a lot of biking opportunities. I'm a middle aged guy and the kids are all grown ( It's my turn). My friends are telling me to go FS, but I'm not sure that I want to make that type of investment yet.

Any help will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Go FULL SUSPENSION!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the advise, but I'm thinking 29er and sub $800 if possible.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    You should really think about the type of riding you will be doing and go from there. I've owned 5 bikes within the past 3 years (3 of them being full suspension trail bikes) and just recently sold my Giant Trance to get a Fantom 29er hard tail. Best bike I've ever owned hands down

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought a Gravity 29.4 !! Will be here tomorrow !!! It seems like the best bang for the buck around 800 bucks (cost 900). It's my first real mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Let me know how the 29.4 works out.

Thanks

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I will. Im getting it today (hasn't came in yet) !! With post a review and pics once I have the time.

NuB
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I LOVE my Gravity 29.4 !!

I didn't have one single problem with it !! I was climbing better than my gf who had a 26er and faster down hills. Not one single problem. Shifts great, brakes great.

The only thing I WILL be replacing are the pedals (which are at least metal, and the handle bar. The bar is WAY too short !! My hands fall off of them. but besides those two minor things I am replacing. The bike is perfect for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help Fantom comp or Gravity 29.3 or ???-2012-05-24-14.41.25.jpg  

Need Help Fantom comp or Gravity 29.3 or ???-2012-05-24-14.41.38.jpg  

Zero Miles from Myself
    It is a beauty. I am considering a 29.5. The wheels set and frame weight are my reservation. Any idea how much yours weighs with pedals? I think the wheels are around 2300g and the frame weighs (from other posts I have found) around 6 lbs - which seems hi since many bikes in this category are closer to 4. Just wondering you feel / actual weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got an identical twin Point 4 17.5" in white, and I love it. I haven't weighed it, but if I had to guess, it's at about 30-31lbs as I have it equipped (added bottle cage, cycle computer, saddle bag w/tube & tools, but changed out bars, stem, pedals, seatpost and saddle with slightly lighter parts).

I'll try to get it on a scale at work Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    It is a beauty. I am considering a 29.5. The wheels set and frame weight are my reservation. Any idea how much yours weighs with pedals? I think the wheels are around 2300g and the frame weighs (from other posts I have found) around 6 lbs - which seems hi since many bikes in this category are closer to 4. Just wondering you feel / actual weight?
    Just bought a 21" 29point5. 30.2lbs

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by cr4sht3st View Post
    Just bought a 21" 29point5. 30.2lbs
    Thanks. That is about what I expected. Flip (another thread) told me the frame is about 4 lbs so the weights I found on the board saying 6 are probably hi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Where are these bikes being sold? Bikesdirect? When I go to the website..I don't see them at all. Just the Motobecane 29ers

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain916 View Post
    Where are these bikes being sold? Bikesdirect? When I go to the website..I don't see them at all. Just the Motobecane 29ers
    At the top of the mtb page there is a jump to click on 29ers

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try this link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Couple of pics of my 29.4 in white to complement Nub's. Didn't get a chance to weigh in today, maybe tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nice bike...what type of fork is it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Those 29.4's are nice looking bikes. I am also starting my shopping around process for a new bike. I will probably be asking some questions down the road!