Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75

    Cool-blue Rhythm My Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO - Getting Back Into It All

    Hello folks. This is my first post and I hope one of many here at MTBR.

    I found that I needed to get back into some of my old passions in life and one of them was mountain biking. Ever since I was a wee calf I loved to ride bikes. As the years progressed I have gone through many a style of bike (girl's cruiser, BMX, 10 Speed, Mountain, hybrid, etc..). After riding many a bike over many a terrain I found that nothing beat having the ability to just go anywhere like that of a mountain bike.

    There seems to be few years in my life where I haven't been on a bike until recently, where life has been a large transition. When moving from my home town of Lawrence, Kansas, to the Durango area of Colorado, I found much more outdoor activities at my disposal. There are so many choices that you just have to postpone or give up even getting into an activity here. But decidedly this was the year to get back into Mountain Biking and in a big way, with my first 29er tearing through the terrain of the Southwest over the course of this Spring through Fall of 2008.

    So, what did I get? Well, a Motobecane of course. I bought a Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO in Matte Slate. I am so very eager for it to get here, which judging by the UPS tracker, should be no later than this Friday! Check back for picture, condition, and impressions on the bike.

    I want to thank everyone in advance whom welcome me. I appreciate being a part of this forum among you fine folks.

    Mooooooooo!
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,497
    Welcome back to biking and congratuatlions on your Moto. There have been some times in my life where I haven't had time to bike. I would start to forget how much I loved it, and what a great part of life biking is. When I would get back into it I would feel like kicking myself when I rememebered how much I love it. Its not just physical exercise for me, but it definitely is mental health exercise, I feel so much better all around when I am biking.

    I also love that feeling of anticipation of waiting for a new bike, you just can't wait for it to come!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

  3. #3
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    Welcome back to biking and congratuatlions on your Moto. There have been some times in my life where I haven't had time to bike. I would start to forget how much I loved it, and what a great part of life biking is. When I would get back into it I would feel like kicking myself when I rememebered how much I love it. Its not just physical exercise for me, but it definitely is mental health exercise, I feel so much better all around when I am biking.

    I also love that feeling of anticipation of waiting for a new bike, you just can't wait for it to come!
    I think you put my sub-context into words precisely.

    I agree. The exhilaration that is associated with biking is not like others. I ski, snowboard, hike, archery, mountainclimb, jeep, pop the occasional brewsky and tube down the rivers, but biking has a high that is all its own. Interestingly enough, I bet I will feel as if I am extending my ski season and vice versa when downhilling or traversing some of the ski hills around here.

    Thanks for the insight and welcome. Congrats on your '08 Moto, as well.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  4. #4
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    My Fantom 29 PRO just came in! UPS delivered it in one piece (thank you). The packaging was adequate, but I could see how UPS could mangle it in some cases.

    The bike is in grade A condition out of the box, but I have yet to put it all together and ride it. Components seem pretty quality, however I will upgrade some stuff in time. I must say that at first glance, it is a very very tight bike. The Tora shock seems to have 80mm travel set up, but I will read the info and see if it is adjustable...

    I am 5' 9.5" (I'm shrinking), 180lbs approx, and with shoes my inseam is about 30.5. The bike size I bought was 15" and I normally ride an 18" when I ride my 26er. Straddling the bike I can see that this will be a very workable size for me. I hope this info helps anyone wanting to know for reference for themselves.

    I will keep you all posted as I get it put together and play with it.

    Peace and Noise!
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  5. #5
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    My Fantom 29 PRO just came in!
    I will keep you all posted as I get it put together and play with it.
    I put on the handlebars, shifters and brakes. I did not put on the remote lockout, yet.

    After airing up the tires I pushed it outside and started to tear up my back yard. I have about 2 acres out back, climbing up a mountain. I selected a gear and tore up that slope. There is so much torque on this puppy it's mad! The stock tires are a bit lacking for this South Western soil. I will have to upgrade soon.

    But man, is this a tight bike. I will get a pro to set it the rest of the way up, but for now I can climb my yard and that's a killer workout.

    Sweet.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  6. #6
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    Bought some upgrades online last night. I look forward to adding them to the bike later this week.

    Sette Ryde ST-850 Suspension Dropper Seatpost $34.98
    Sette Quick Release Rear Fender $12.98
    Sette Quick Release Front Fender $12.98
    Sette Kevlar / Neoprene Chainstay Protector $6.98

    Monday a 661 Pro Bravo Carbon Helmet will get here, along with some stubby bar ends and a suspension air pump.Getting it all in line for many a journey to moab and just the surrounding SW Colorado terrain. Going to XC and Downhill until it's time to ski again next year...

    ...anyone know of some good 29er tires I should look into? I want to generate a quiver over this year for various conditions: sand/loose soil, snow/ice, and perhaps some slicks. Any other suggestions for upgrades or tweaks?
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    The Tora shock seems to have 80mm travel set up, but I will read the info and see if it is adjustable...
    Hmm. that is exactly the question I had after looking at pictures. I even started a thread last week with that question and never got a response. I still like what I hear about the bike, and it is a darn good deal. But when they listed it as a 100mm I thought maybe the bike was actually designed around a 100mm fork, which excited me even more. I am disappointed to find out the opposite. Was it a typo, or just purposely misleading marketing BS?

    The fork is convertible from 80mm to 100mm and vice-versa. You can take it to a shop, but the instructions seem easy and many people have successfully done it at home. Check out the 29er board. Same instructions as the Reba.

  8. #8
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Hmm. that is exactly the question I had after looking at pictures. I even started a thread last week with that question and never got a response. I still like what I hear about the bike, and it is a darn good deal. But when they listed it as a 100mm I thought maybe the bike was actually designed around a 100mm fork, which excited me even more. I am disappointed to find out the opposite. Was it a typo, or just purposely misleading marketing BS?

    The fork is convertible from 80mm to 100mm and vice-versa. You can take it to a shop, but the instructions seem easy and many people have successfully done it at home. Check out the 29er board. Same instructions as the Reba.
    Yeah, I can understand your disappointment, however the shock is still quite proper. I guess as far as the webpage being misleading to the public, perhaps... we the people just have to be that more savvy when we read the specs on a component, do a little research and not take it at face value. Oh how the industry keeps us on our toes...

    I hear you on the convertability, I had read a little on it, but forgot to post it here. I have the manual right here and may mess around with the travel this weekend. For now I am ok with 80mm setting. It feels comfortable for me at this level of my ability/practice. If my skills levels increase before my fork wears out, I may max it out.

    I am very happy with this bike. Give me a year and I will be a total component snob, I just haven't reached that level of knowledge, yet.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    98
    Any pics yet Azimuth?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Yeah, show us your proud new steed!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    I am very interested in pics as well. I will be ordering a motobecane fantom 29 matte black very soon and will be adding fenders as it will be my daily transportion.

  12. #12
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    WOW! I didn't realize I got all these responses...

    My wife has had the camera while away in Colorado Springs for the past weekend. SHe just told me she will clear the camera for me tonight, so I can take pics tomorrow after work and post them.

    Next post should have pics.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Any update on the pics? You're killing me here

  14. #14
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Any update on the pics? You're killing me here
    HAHAHA! Yeah, my wife is uploading her pics in one sec after I post this. Then I will take pics and post them. I should have some up tonight. Give me a couple hours.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  15. #15
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75

    Cool-blue Rhythm Some Pictures of Geb the Earth God

    Here is my Fantom 29 "Geb".

    The color is called Matte Slate on the Bikesdirect website, but the box says Matte Grey. So, if you see the frame for sale and the color says Matte Grey, it's the same color as this bike.

    The only upgrades I have on the bike at this time are the Sette quick release fenders (awesome) and a kevlar and neoprene chaingaurd. The Sette quickdrop seatpost came in damaged, so I am awaiting a replacement. I haven't got the grips, brakes, fork lockout, and shifters finally set for I wanted to shop around for some grips this weekend in Durango.

    I definately need to get the bike in for a proper setup since I am very new to bike mechanics.

    So there is the beast. It rides well. It is a little heavy, low 30's I believe, and I would love to get it sub 30.

    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Azimuth Cow; 05-02-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    looks great! I like the fenders. I am currently trying to decide between the red fantom 29 or the slate fantom pro 29.

  17. #17
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by cronic
    looks great! I like the fenders. I am currently trying to decide between the red fantom 29 or the slate fantom pro 29.
    If you don't mind the stock components on the red bike, or don't mind paying for upgrades, the red bike looks tight. I really like that color, too. I want to do a build this year and I asked Bike Island if they had the Fantom 29 frame in red (since they have the black and grey frame there), but alas they don't. However they are getting new frames (colors) in a couple of months.

    I decided to get the Pro model because I would have hydrolic brakes and the remote lockout on the fork.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Thanks for the pics! Looks good!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    If you don't mind the stock components on the red bike, or don't mind paying for upgrades, the red bike looks tight. I really like that color, too. I want to do a build this year and I asked Bike Island if they had the Fantom 29 frame in red (since they have the black and grey frame there), but alas they don't. However they are getting new frames (colors) in a couple of months.

    I decided to get the Pro model because I would have hydrolic brakes and the remote lockout on the fork.

    Well since they sold out of the 19" fantom in both red and black, I had to order the fantom 29pro. Hopefully it will be here soon.

  20. #20
    High Speed Steaks
    Reputation: Azimuth Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by cronic
    Well since they sold out of the 19" fantom in both red and black, I had to order the fantom 29pro. Hopefully it will be here soon.
    Sweetness! Congrats! What color: Matte Brey or Silver?
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    Sweetness! Congrats! What color: Matte Brey or Silver?

    The matte grey or slate. I really like the dark matte finish.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    98
    Bike looks good, them fenders are nice.

  23. #23
    hippymtnbkr
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    My Fantom 29 PRO just came in! UPS delivered it in one piece (thank you). The packaging was adequate, but I could see how UPS could mangle it in some cases.

    The bike is in grade A condition out of the box, but I have yet to put it all together and ride it. Components seem pretty quality, however I will upgrade some stuff in time. I must say that at first glance, it is a very very tight bike. The Tora shock seems to have 80mm travel set up, but I will read the info and see if it is adjustable...

    I am 5' 9.5" (I'm shrinking), 180lbs approx, and with shoes my inseam is about 30.5. The bike size I bought was 15" and I normally ride an 18" when I ride my 26er. Straddling the bike I can see that this will be a very workable size for me. I hope this info helps anyone wanting to know for reference for themselves.

    I will keep you all posted as I get it put together and play with it.

    Peace and Noise!
    Another person who pretends to be all American. But yet you buy everything from overseas. The only American company you delt with in this transaction is UPS. And yet you seem to want to throw in a knock about them. I thought the eyes on that thar cow looked sort of slanted , comrade

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by tydydownthehighway
    Another person who pretends to be all American. But yet you buy everything from overseas. The only American company you delt with in this transaction is UPS. And yet you seem to want to throw in a knock about them. I thought the eyes on that thar cow looked sort of slanted , comrade
    ???

    WTF mate?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    49

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ???

    WTF mate?

    Don't feed the trolls.





    Grats on the new ride Azimuth.

    Been thinking about getting a set of those fenders myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •