Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    My first post here. I just had to see the pics on this thread as I was thinking/dreaming of a Fantom 29pro. So I registered, looked at the pics and ordered a 29pro from bikesdirect tonight. Sweet bike Azimuth Cow, obviously you sold me. Now I have to wait for it to get here.

High Speed Steaks

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanlaw0
    My first post here. I just had to see the pics on this thread as I was thinking/dreaming of a Fantom 29pro. So I registered, looked at the pics and ordered a 29pro from bikesdirect tonight. Sweet bike Azimuth Cow, obviously you sold me. Now I have to wait for it to get here.
    You hear that Bike's Direct? I SOLD the bike. Where's the comission?

It's a really cool ride, ryan. It is definately a different ride for me for I find I can have my back tire spin out a bit when I am standing and pedaling. When I sit back and pedal, no problems.

This will not be my last bike by far, so I think I will build a Ti Fly for next season. Oh yeah, I read around here that the Ti 29ers are coming out in November. The weight difference could make for an even better ride, right?

Congrats ryan!
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    Bike looks good, them fenders are nice.
    And the fenders are darn easy to take off when not needed, too. Thanks for the compliment.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by tydydownthehighway
    Another person who pretends to be all American. But yet you buy everything from overseas. The only American company you delt with in this transaction is UPS. And yet you seem to want to throw in a knock about them. I thought the eyes on that thar cow looked sort of slanted , comrade
    He He He! Now that's funny stuff. You cannot even begin to legitimize that broad of a statement about me. Nice kneejerk reaction. If I'm squinting it's because the sun is so intense at 8000 ft elevation on a clear day.

UPS is great and delivered the package fast and all friendly. My knock was about the packaging, not UPS. The packaging was adequate, but I could see how UPS could... blah blah. I cannot help if you misread things.

I also delt with Bike's Direct, which is in Tejas. Is that not American enough for your liking? He He!

If you could give me the number to your dealer I would love to get my hands on some of what you're smoking. how left field can ya be, mate?
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

High Speed Steaks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by portage29er

Don't feed the trolls.

Grats on the new ride Azimuth.

Been thinking about getting a set of those fenders myself.
    Ahh too late! I fed the Troll. But really, how rediculous can someone be? Obviously pretty rediculous. He created a nice little piece of fiction there.

Anyways, the fenders are pretty cool. They are simple and effective and hand carved by the very Gods of cycling themselves (have to make them legit, ya know).
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Took mine out for my second decent trail ride yesterday. I'm still amazed how it rolls over everything and climbs like a goat compared to my 26er

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    Took mine out for my second decent trail ride yesterday. I'm still amazed how it rolls over everything and climbs like a goat compared to my 26er
    Kick ass! I have yet to do it a serious XC on it. I should have brought it out to the 10k my wife ran today, but i hard falsely heard bikes weren't allowed on the trail at this time. DOH!

Great report!
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's one of my favorite bikes. I got the black frame from bikeisland. Plan on getting another.(1 hardtail, 1 rigid. Much success to you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Loving the fenders. I'll have to get some as I use mine for commuting too, and it will be nice for those damp spring mornings. Great bike. I'll graduate to one eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2008

29er

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have been looking at Fantom PRO for months now and doing a lot of reading.... After visiting some local shops and thanks to this forum I'll be ordering PRO this thursday. I think I'll go with silver...

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robson13
    Hi guys, this is my first post here. I have been looking at Fantom PRO for months now and doing a lot of reading.... After visiting some local shops and thanks to this forum I'll be ordering PRO this thursday. I think I'll go with silver...

Sweetness! Have fun with your new bike. Tell us how you like it when you get it.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member

Just Joined

I just joined the forums because of you!

I am looking at the Fantom 29 (not pro) and am not sure what size to get. I'm worried the 15" might even be too big for me.

You are almost the identical height and inseam as me. I am 5' 9.5" and have an inseam of 30.5". But, I am a bit heavier.

Anyway, is the 15" a great fit for you? Do you feel the 29er is a good bike for your size? Does it seem to big? I have an aging GIANT IGUANA 26er that I am about to replace and was wondering if you'd recommend the 15" 29er to similarly sized guy.

Also, how is the bike on the pavement? Is it comfortable?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try to Email bikesdirect.com about your sizing.I ordered a 19" Fantom29 frame from bikeisland.com & I have a 32" inseam.The frame is a little too tall depending on the tire I use ( mostty WTB exi wolfs), but it's OK. A 17" would have been more relaxed.I'm going to order a 17" and use it off road and use the 19" as a street rig with some 700c x 45mm tires (lower tire height).Clik on the "sizing tips" info and the "geometry specs" info @ bikes direct.They say to use a size lower than your usual 26" size for a 29er.I believe that to be true.( I take a 19" or 18" 26er) A 17" would give me the correct standover height.The top tube is a little shorter though.A 15" may work well for you.The Fantom29 is a great deal.Just make sure the box is factory sealed before you accept it.(As with any other piece of equipment).Good luck! ---zarr (re:blkdog7)

High Speed Steaks
    Hey there blkdog7. Thanks for joining. Here is my opinion about the bike geometry and sizing for a 30" inseam:

I you are used to an 18" approx frame size in a regular mtb, then a 15" is a doable and comfortable transition within the 29er world. It is a different ride and on some loose surfaces I have found I need to sit back on the seat to get significant traction. I think it kinda looks and rides like an oversized bmx (which I rather find cool).

WIth the stock tires it is fine on pavement. It isn't like riding slicks, but it isn't riding an overly knobby tire, a good in between. I ride it on asphalt, but mainly packed earth roads, and then your various trails. I am taking the bikle to Moab next week for an extended trip and will have a better take on how it fares in that terrain.

Honestly, I personally think you cannot do wrong with going with a 15" frame. And I personally do not recommend trying to contact Bike's Direct about sizing. I did twice and got a half formulated, cut and paste message that meant nothing relevant to my specific questions and some BS from an anonymous answerer that was trying to upsell me to the more expensive 26" hardtails. BOOO! F- on customer service. Very evasive and shifty (if not shitty ) sell tactics.

But that aside, kick ass bike. Heavy bike ( I am curious about the Ti 29ers coming out at the end of 08), but really good bike. I do not think you would be disappointed.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    Hey there blkdog7. Thanks for joining. Here is my opinion about the bike geometry and sizing for a 30" inseam:

I you are used to an 18" approx frame size in a regular mtb, then a 15" is a doable and comfortable transition within the 29er world. It is a different ride and on some loose surfaces I have found I need to sit back on the seat to get significant traction. I think it kinda looks and rides like an oversized bmx (which I rather find cool).

WIth the stock tires it is fine on pavement. It isn't like riding slicks, but it isn't riding an overly knobby tire, a good in between. I ride it on asphalt, but mainly packed earth roads, and then your various trails. I am taking the bikle to Moab next week for an extended trip and will have a better take on how it fares in that terrain.

Honestly, I personally think you cannot do wrong with going with a 15" frame. And I personally do not recommend trying to contact Bike's Direct about sizing. I did twice and got a half formulated, cut and paste message that meant nothing relevant to my specific questions and some BS from an anonymous answerer that was trying to upsell me to the more expensive 26" hardtails. BOOO! F- on customer service. Very evasive and shifty (if not shitty ) sell tactics.

But that aside, kick ass bike. Heavy bike ( I am curious about the Ti 29ers coming out at the end of 08), but really good bike. I do not think you would be disappointed.
    Thanks for the reply. I am now thinking if I order from them I will go Pro. I am also considering a Specialized Comp and a few others. The more I research this the more confused I am getting. Too many choices. I do keep coming back to this bike for the price and the parts. Everyone says it is so heavy. I am not sure this will matter to me since my Giant Iguana is REALLY heavy. So, I am used to the heavy bikes.

I am just worried that I am too short for a 29er. Or, I am worried that I am being silly for even considering a 29er since I am not very hardcore and will just ride simple trails and might get brave and really go off road.

I am happy to hear the 15" fits you well. We are pretty much identical in height and inseam.

I have a lot to think about. I am going to stop at some LBS this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks!

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by blkdog7
    Thanks for the reply. I am now thinking if I order from them I will go Pro. I am also considering a Specialized Comp and a few others. The more I research this the more confused I am getting. Too many choices. I do keep coming back to this bike for the price and the parts. Everyone says it is so heavy. I am not sure this will matter to me since my Giant Iguana is REALLY heavy. So, I am used to the heavy bikes.

I am just worried that I am too short for a 29er. Or, I am worried that I am being silly for even considering a 29er since I am not very hardcore and will just ride simple trails and might get brave and really go off road.

I am happy to hear the 15" fits you well. We are pretty much identical in height and inseam.

I have a lot to think about. I am going to stop at some LBS this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks!
    I do not think you can go wrong with this bike for what you want to ride, and may eventually graduate to riding. It is fun and comfy. I really do not notice the weight until I lift the bike. What am I going to do more of, lift the bike or ride it? (psssst... ride it)

The Specialized comp is a totally nice bike in itself. I have ridden it and many other Specialized. In fact, I would probably even buy a Specialized over a Motobecane if I had twice the cash. The components on this bike are slick for the cash.

Good luck in your future purchase of whatever and please tell us what you get when you get it!
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Well, I bailed on the idea of getting a Motebacane and a 29er. The guy at the LBS really talked me out of a 29er.

So.. I picked up a Cannondale F3 today for $950.00. It's a pretty sweet bike. I like it so far. Oh, well...

Frt Range, CO
    Nice Cannondale, mail-order bikes aren't for everyone

High Speed Steaks
    Well, I bailed on the idea of getting a Motebacane and a 29er. The guy at the LBS really talked me out of a 29er.

So.. I picked up a Cannondale F3 today for $950.00. It's a pretty sweet bike. I like it so far. Oh, well...

That is a sweet bike, man! Great pick!
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

High Speed Steaks
    I took Geb, my bike, out to Moab this past Father's Day weekend and it was a great experience all around. The bike worked wonderfully. I absolutely loved how it tore through slickrock at Bar M Loop on the Bar A slickrock portion. The Tora shock worked very well in both the locked and unlocked position. It climbed Klondike Bluffs without it being cumbersome at all.

It also did very well in pedaling through loose sand, compared to a Felt Virtue we had on hand. The 29er wheels have such drive it loves to plow through anything.

On the level Earth it just gripped and threw me down the path with ease.

What can I say other than this is one of the best bikes I have ever played in the dirt with. AAA+!
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone have a picture of the Fantom 29 in Matte Red?

ballbuster

what?!?

Oh man! This really pisses me off. Another lbs giving out crappy advice about 29er. Gee, what are the odds?

THe thing is, many LBSs either dont' stock or don't udnerstand 29ers so they just tell people to get the tried and true 26ers. I mean, nobody every lost their jobs over choosing what has been chosen for the last 20 years.

at 5'9" you are not too short for a 29er. I have a frined who is 5'2" and rides a 29er. She loves it. She says its the only way she can keep up wtih her BF on the downhills, because the roll is that much better. Don't tell me you are too small for a 29er.

If you are 5'9" with a 30" pant inseam, I would have steered you towards the 17" Motobecane. I have the 19" and its perfect for me, and I'm 5'10" with a 32" pant inseam.

Well, no worries. The C'dale is a nice bike. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My Fantom Pro 29 arrives next Tuesday and I can't wait! How is the set up? Is there anything really technical that needs to be done or could I do it myself? I don't know much about bikes, but I would like to learn. Also, do LBS care about setting up a bike bought online? Thanks in advance for the info, I can't wait to get out and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeksterisu
    My Fantom Pro 29 arrives next Tuesday and I can't wait! How is the set up? Is there anything really technical that needs to be done or could I do it myself? I don't know much about bikes, but I would like to learn. Also, do LBS care about setting up a bike bought online? Thanks in advance for the info, I can't wait to get out and ride.
    If it anything like how I got my Fly Ti, you will be well served by talking to somebody who has at least some experience setting up disk brakes.

I had to attach the front caliper, front rotor, tune it, tune rear derailleur - even as it was set up fairly nicely to start with, set up fork for my weight (not done yet, experimenting with SiD), check all bolts, fittings, replace crankset with a different one.. It is rather simple, ad it will pay off to learn how to do that. Just follow the instructions. Tons of good instrction on this very site. (For example: Suspension Set-up Basics for the Beginner)

Still took less time then driving to and from a store.

If LBS gives you attitude, while you are paying them money for service - pick another LBS. Attitude and lack of broad knowledge is why I do not set my feet in stores anymore. With an exception of one guy whom I trust, and who rebuilds my forks and does other messy jobs.

High Speed Steaks
    I put my Fantom together for my initial rides and it worked well (meaning the remaining build on the bike was minimal). Once I took it into an LBS for a tune up it worked exceptionally. I too worried that an LBS would care about finishing a build or doing a full tune up on a bike bought online, but repairs and tweaks are their bread and butter in between bike sales. No attitude other than a postive one was experienced here.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast