mtbr member
    Aug 2012

My 9Iron Elite reveiw...

Hi! I recently purchased an Motobecane 9Iron Eliete 29er from Bikes Direct, and while I was able to do some research on this site, there was no review that I could find for th 9Iron, so I figured I would give my impressions of the bike, in the event that someone else is looking at buying one.

My statistics are: 5'9", 30.5 inch inseam, 190 lbs.

I purchased the 17 inch frame, and it is a little close to the ol crotch at times, I have not ha a problem with clearance over the last month of ownership. I will not go through a review of the shipping and Bikes Direct. Plenty of reviews on that here on the site. Needless to say the bike came quickly, and in an hour I was on the road riding to the trails.

I came from a full suspension setup on a 26er. I was concerned about the ride quality going with a hard tail 29er. I had nothing to worry about. The 29er wheels and tires, along with the 4130 cromo frame really soak up the bumps on the ride. I did add a Thudbuster ST seat post and it is every bit as comfy now as FS bike was...but I get the benefits of the hard tail.

Shifting, brakes, crank set...the whole shebang on this bike was worth every penny. The remote lockout for the Tora forks is AWESOME. I know a lot of people have said that the Tora is not that good of a front shock, but I have had NO issues with it and maybe when I get better I will see the issues with it...but for now it is doing great for me.

I do notice that I have to move the bike more underneath me to hit the switchbacks at a decent pace, and that I have to adjust my line to account for some "off tracking" of the back tire due to longer wheelbase, but all that has really led to is me taking a wider line through turns which tends to keep my speed up.

The biggest change was the natural ability for the 29 wheels to roll over and things that would have popped and/ or caught and jarred my 26er wheels. This has led to me being able to focus more on my line through a turn, and not on the bumps and pitfalls that lead up to the turn. Again....more speed in the long run.

Things I changed on the bike when I got it.
    1. Thudbuster ST seat post from Cane Creek. Worth every penny. I got the ST (Short travel) because I only wanted to take the edge of the bumps. If I waned a full suspension bike would have bought one. The ST is PERFECT on the HT 29er!

2. Grips.....the stock had to go. I Got some ones similar to the Specialized brand with the larger palm rests.

That is all that I changed....and to be honest...it is the best damn bike I have had the pleasure of riding. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that I get regarding this bike and my opinion.

I hope that this write up or opinon piece helps others that are looking to purchase from Bikes Direct with regards to the 9Iron Elite.

Take care...and if you have a 9Iron and what to drop your thoughts in this thread as well....well I don't own the site...so have at it!

Eric
    "oosagi"
    (rabbit in Japanese)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks!

Pictures help too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I will DEFINITELY get some pics of the bike up! Thanks for the reminder!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Out of curiosity, any idea on the weight of the bike?

mtbr member
    2nd that.. get it on the scale

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any thoughts on how this bike stacks up against the Fantom 29 Elite?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard2011 View Post
    2nd that.. get it on the scale
    would love to know the weight also

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review, I'm also thinking of getting this bike. Any idea on the weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

My 9Iron Elite reveiw...

Reviving this thread because I'm just about sold on this bike except I can't find any indication of weight. Zero help from Bikes Direct or Motobecane. Just got the standard copy/paste paragraph about why they don't state the weights of any bike. I just want to know about how heavy it is. I don't want to buy it and end up with a 35lbs bike. 30lbs or less and I'm game.

Anyone own this bike that can throw it on a scale?

mtbr member
    May 2011

My 9Iron Elite reveiw...

PedalDangit, I don't own one by was looking at building one from the frame up and found out the frame is about the typical steel 29er weight, around 4.5-5lbs. So, a build with mid-high level build could come in under 30lbs fairly easy depending on wheelset/fork.

As it sits on bikes direct you'll probably be closer to the 35lbs though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

My 9Iron Elite reveiw...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cup View Post
    PedalDangit, I don't own one by was looking at building one from the frame up and found out the frame is about the typical steel 29er weight, around 4.5-5lbs. So, a build with mid-high level build could come in under 30lbs fairly easy depending on wheelset/fork.

As it sits on bikes direct you'll probably be closer to the 35lbs though.
    Thanks for the info. My plan was to replace the fork with a rigid. I'd save about 2-2.5 lbs. but sounds like I'd still be over 30lbs. unless I upgrade wheels, bars, posts, etc. All that's not in the budget right now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm sure you could get it under 30 without too much trouble. Getting it around 24/25 would be a small fortune though. I was looking into one to build as a rigid bikepacking bike but didn't like the odd sized seatpost and non-replaceable deraileur hanger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What do you think could get me there? I think a wheel set would be too big an expense. I want a 2nd bike to be a sturdy, rigid road/trail bike.

The seatpost isn't too much of a concern for me as long as there are options available. (or should it concern me?) What's the deal with the derailleur hanger? Is it just part of the frame? So the derailleur itself would snap before anything else? Not sure I like the sound of that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not sure what wheelset comes with it but you can drop weight from them without breaking the bank. Front fork will save weight for sure also.

The rear hanger is part of the frame so a crash could bend/break it and leave you single speed or screwed. You could bend it back of course but not a guarantee.

Not a huge deal but it wasn't what I was looking for. Still seems like a great frame to build up though and the price for the frame/fork combo is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    May 2011

My 9Iron Elite reveiw...

I just looked at the 9Iron Elite page on Bikes Direct and it looks like things have changed since this year. The old 9Iron is what I was looking at. The bike listed as the 9Iron Elite now has sliding dropouts and is out of Reynolds 520. So, it's not the same as the one I was describing.

If they sold this new one as a frame only, I'd probably grab one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks again for the input, Cup. I'm now leaning towards selling a couple of guitars and going for a Salsa El Mariachi. Both the 2 and 3 models are under 30lbs stock with suspension forks. I found an El Mar 2 locally that I'll be able to go test ride, which obviously is a big plus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Howdy gang -

This may be a bit of a thread dredge but-

I am a roadie, thinking of getting a MB. My road bike and CX are both steel (Waterford and Bridgestone), so the 9iron appeals to me on that level - not that I am against aluminum.
    I've been thru the Bikesdirect thing before too (Wife's Moto inferno roadie) so no real questions there...

My question is on MB components. IF I was buying a roadie, I would be looking at a Tiagra/105/Rival level group. Where does this Shimano SLX/Xt group fall in the line? How does it compare to the road groups I know?

My wants in the MB - 29'er, hardtail, 10 in the back... Just a No frills bike. Not top level, but no too cheap either.

Does this 9Iron fit the bill?