mtbr member
    Sep 2013

MTB Assembly - What Tools Do I Need?

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a Fantom 29er DS. This will be my first time assembling the bike.

I'd like to know what tools are required to assemble, and also, what kind of tuning should I anticipate besides possibly bleeding the hydraulic brakes, a wheel truing?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Basic tools, allen key set, screwdrivers, grease, possibly a 15mm wrench depending on what pedals you're using. A bike stand or some way to suspend your bike while working on it will make your life SO much easier. A torque wrench is something that few have but everybody assembling a bike needs. Invest the money in one for piece of mind that your bike is assembled per the specs and is safe. Double check the torque on all the bolts before riding, don't trust that somebody did it already because things are missed.

You'll need to know how to adjust derailleurs, they may shift from the factory but it won't be pretty. Patience is key with those, theres lots of good write-ups and videos out there that'll teach you.

Ideally, hopefully you wont have to bleed the brakes, not yet anyway. Although the Elixer 3s are hit and miss in my experience. I've also had two bikes from BD and have yet had a need to true wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Congratulations on the new bike. I don't have that model so can't be certain, but have bought a couple other bikes from BikesDirect.

The bike should already be 80% put together out of the box. Just install the handle bars to the stem, maybe need to install the brake rotors, install the wheels, seat post, pedals, etc.

Should just need some metric allen wrenches, and perhaps a T25 torx bit, philips and flat blade screw driver.

You may need to true the wheels. I would not expect you would need to bleed the brakes. Likely you will need to adjust rear and front derailleurs a bit, and perhaps after the cables stretch.

Not exactly how I might do it, but here's a video example:
    How to assemble a store bought bike (Bicycle) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought the FS 29er XTR a few months ago, awesome ride. Made a good effort to put it together myself but just couldnít seem to get the derailleurs to shift properly. Took it to my LBS and they got everything adjusted and ready for $25.00. Didnít need to bleed the brakes and the wheels were pretty much true once you mount and spin them before fully tightening the brake calipers. Good luck and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks guys. The rear shocks are air. Do I need to buy a shock pump? What about for coil springs, I wouldn't need a shock pump right?

mtbr member
    I'm 99% certain the Recon Gold TK on that bike is airsprung as well, even tho the BD specs don't say the word "Air". Yes you will want a shock pump to fine tune both front and rear to your weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome.

And I watched that video Tony, very informative!

So checklist:
    - Multitool with allen keys, screwdriver, chain breaker, spoke wrench, Torx T25 and T10
    - Shock pump
    - Grease
    - Bike stand
    - Portable tire pump

Anything else I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    So checklist:
    - Multitool with allen keys, screwdriver, chain breaker, spoke wrench, Torx T25 and T10
    - Shock pump
    - Grease
    - Bike stand
    - Portable tire pump

Anything else I'm missing?
    I'd suggest using some good quality hand tools including a torque wrench to assemble the bike. Proper assembly includes torquing the fasteners to proper preload, not guessing at that with a multi-tool. The multi-tool is handy for emergency repairs and tweaks at trailside where carrying a good set of hand tools is not a good solution.

Also, I'd rather use a good floor pump than a compromized portable to inflate the tires. And for carry on the bike, I'd rather have a small CO2 tire inflator and a spare cartridge than a portable pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks,

I'm assuming 3/8" drive torque wrench? Or do I go something smaller/bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
    I'd suggest using some good quality hand tools including a torque wrench to assemble the bike. Proper assembly includes torquing the fasteners to proper preload, not guessing at that with a multi-tool. The multi-tool is handy for emergency repairs and tweaks at trailside where carrying a good set of hand tools is not a good solution.

Also, I'd rather use a good floor pump than a compromized portable to inflate the tires. And for carry on the bike, I'd rather have a small CO2 tire inflator and a spare cartridge than a portable pump.

mtbr member
    Yes, 3/8 or 1/4 would be fine, but you might want to find one that measures in inch pounds rather than foot pounds. Not many things on your bike will be listed as to be torqued in foot pounds, thats more for heavier applications.

My bike torque wrench came in 1/4 inch and measures inch pounds and nM, but I got a socket adapter to go to 1/4 to 3/8 inch in order to use a hex socket set like this one Shop Kobalt 7-Piece 3/8-in Drive Hex Driver Socket Set at Lowes.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I recently got this kit for $59, it has good reviews, and comes with the common size drivers for bikes. I'm satisfied with it.

Amazon.com: VENZO Bicycle Bike Torque Wrench Allen Key Tool Socket Set Kit: Sports & Outdoors

There's other threads discussing which torque wrench to get, and whether you can get by OK without. Seems they're mainly needed for carbon frame bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks,

I'm assuming 3/8" drive torque wrench? Or do I go something smaller/bigger?
    The 3/8_inch torque wrenches that I have seen do not have good enough accuracy at the low torque values you will need.

I'd suggest a 1/4_inch drive torque wrench. Shop for something that ranges accurately down to around 2-3_Nm on the low end of the scale. Those will probably only range up to around 15-16_Nm on the high end, but that should cover most of what you need in this.

Look closely before you buy. Many small torque wrenches don't go low enough. I think you will find that the dial and beam types that may appear to range to zero may only provide good accuracy from 20% full scale to full scale, maybe not below 20% full scale, so read the fine print in what they guarantee.

Enjoy the hunt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Just got myself a Fantom 29er DS. This will be my first time assembling the bike.

So... Did all go well?

What do you think of the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
    So... Did all go well?

What do you think of the bike?
    Besides trouble with adjusting derailleur and brake pads rubbing, everything went well. Bike is still in the process of being assembled... Rear derailleur hanger was bent when it was being shipped here so Matt @ BD is shipping me a brand new one.

Did a search on Avid Elixir 3s, they are't the best... They're noisy, etc...