Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Links to reviews?

  2. #2
    29ering
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155

    Motobecane Ti 29er and Motobecane 29er FS Budding Rivalry

    There seems to be quite the rivalry with these two models. On one hand you have an impressive titanium 29er that knows no bounds, and on the other hand you have a full suspension 29er designed by bikesdirect that has also received some rave reviews. So which model wins?

    I'll tell you which one wins, and that's the motobecane titanium 29er...here is why...

    Well you might be trying to decide which one to go with. Here are some things to consider...

    Full Suspension versus the "soft" ride of titanium

    Look of the Ti 29er is a lot nicer IMO but then again I haven't seen the FS model in person.

    The Full Suspension bike weighs considerably more...about 8-11 pounds more I would estimate.

    I've also found the ride on the Ti 29er better than that of the Gary Fisher Superfly.

    Can't comment on the Moto FS 29er ride quality.

  3. #3
    newfydog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    276
    I'll have them both when the FS ships. I suspect they'll be complimentary.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    35
    What's the approximate weight of the Ti 29er?

  5. #5
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    What's the approximate weight of the Ti 29er?
    It varies by model, all the weights are listed on the BD site.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    208
    I have the XX version in a small running tubless, tips the scales at 21.6lbs... Been racing this bike since it came out. Absolutly love its feel and comfort! Swapped its bars to a riser with more sweep.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    I'll have them both when the FS ships. I suspect they'll be complimentary.
    Let us know how the two compare when you receive them. I myself is debating if I should get the ti XO 29er 20sp or the XTR 29er FS 20 speed.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It varies by model, all the weights are listed on the BD site.
    It does not give the weight for this bike on BD. It seems to just give the weights of the light bikes.

    Anyone know what this bike weighs at?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer24 View Post
    It does not give the weight for this bike on BD. It seems to just give the weights of the light bikes.

    Anyone know what this bike weighs at?
    Try this site http://motobecane.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    35
    Here's a very biased and superficial answer. I much prefer the look of the hardtail vs. the FS bikes from BD, so I say hardtail. And that's what I have

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    96
    According to bikes direct customer service and other threads, the XO and XTR FS 29er bikes are ~28lbs. The XT FS 29er bike is ~30lbs. The Ti bikes have their weights listing on the BD website.

    I'm trying to decide between the two as well and got some great feedback from newfydog on a thread titled "Fly Ti 29er in Arizona?".

    Any more opinions by people who have ridden both?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Delete.
    Last edited by Odiggy; 12-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Delete.
    Last edited by Odiggy; 12-09-2011 at 11:14 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    According to bikes direct customer service and other threads, the XO and XTR FS 29er bikes are ~28lbs. The XT FS 29er bike is ~30lbs. The Ti bikes have their weights listing on the BD website.

    I'm trying to decide between the two as well and got some great feedback from newfydog on a thread titled "Fly Ti 29er in Arizona?".

    Any more opinions by people who have ridden both?
    I have the Fly team ti 29er and my wife the Fantom Pro 29er. Even though the aluminum fantom 29er is a hardtail, I have to imagine it is similiar or less in wieght to the fantom 29er full suspension. My fly team ti is an XL 21" and wieghs in at 23.8lbs. My wife's 19" Fantom Pro wieghs in at 28lbs. Frame size not withstanding, her fantom is considerably heavier than the fly team.
    Truth is, the bike you get should be totally determined by the type of riding you plan on doing. Me? I love cross country, faster paced, rolling trails with a minimum of logs and mounds to jump off and over. The fly team handles roots, stones and bunny hops over smaller logs admirably! I personally would not be comfortable using it as a downhill, cliff jumping, rockgarden crossing type of bike on a regular basis. If you plan on riding those types of terrain regularly, than I'd recommend the full suspension. Fast climbing, trail eating, sprinter is the Fly team titanium.
    That's my 2 cents.

  15. #15
    newfydog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    276
    Here's a couple more considerations:

    The Ti hardtail will never be obsolete. It is a smooth light bike which will last forever. I have a Ti Mongoose 26er I've had for 14 years. I keep it in the south of France now to save the hassle and expense of bringing a bike every year, and everytime I pull it out, I think," darn, this is still a nice bike". It has been through more parts than you can imagine, and now has a front disc.

    As long as I've been biking, suspension has changed and improved. The 29er fs will be outdated if not obsolete some day, maybe someday soon.

    You can make the ti hardtail into a pretty good whomper bike with some fork modifications and big ass tires. It has clearance for 2.4's. Before I had the FS bike I had two sets of wheels for the Ti 29er. Nothing will make that FS bike into a lightweight flyer which feels quick on a two hour climb.

    Finally there is skill. I got passed on a rocky technical sidehill descent on my FS bike by a cyclocross bike. I don't suck, but the cyclocrosser was a national champion. We have enough of them around Bend to keep you humble. You don't really need alll that suspension if you are skilled and tough.

    Not selling my FS any time soon. I like pulling out the smooth rig for the rough stuff, but it wouldn't be my only bike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by fab4 View Post
    Let us know how the two compare when you receive them. I myself is debating if I should get the ti XO 29er 20sp or the XTR 29er FS 20 speed.
    Shimano XTR does everything Sram XO does nowadays. The main differences were in the shifting, but on the new 985 XTR, you can push or pull, unlike Sram XO where you can only push I believe. Also, the new XTR allows you to switch to/from 2x10 to 3x10 with the flick of a switch on the front derailluer shifter. I'm not perfectly certain, but I know I've read no reviews of the Sram shifters having this capability. I admit to not having ridden much Sram , but in doing my research before the buy I chose Shimano XTR because they've seemed to me to have put more research and development into the latest XTR shifters. In a year or so I'm sure Sram will answer with something similar. But for now, the newest XTR is the top technology. (IMO)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stugotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    What's the approximate weight of the Ti 29er?
    I have a 20" 29er and it scaled in at 23.3 lbs

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stugotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    427
    Deleted. Duplicate post

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    Shimano XTR does everything Sram XO does nowadays. The main differences were in the shifting, but on the new 985 XTR, you can push or pull, unlike Sram XO where you can only push I believe. Also, the new XTR allows you to switch to/from 2x10 to 3x10 with the flick of a switch on the front derailluer shifter. I'm not perfectly certain, but I know I've read no reviews of the Sram shifters having this capability. I admit to not having ridden much Sram , but in doing my research before the buy I chose Shimano XTR because they've seemed to me to have put more research and development into the latest XTR shifters. In a year or so I'm sure Sram will answer with something similar. But for now, the newest XTR is the top technology. (IMO)
    Also forgot to mention, (for you twist shift fans) on the new XTR 985, you can push past the detent and drop up to 4 gears with one push/pull on the rear derailluer shifter. You can also gain up to two with a single push/pull.
    Sram has nothing like this. I'm certain they'll be looking to add this capabilities to whatever their next XO, but for now there was no new version of the Sram derailluers /shifters during the shows this year; only new colorways.
    Me? I'll take new tech over better colors any day! Afterall, the only real color of the derailuers are dirt brown, red clay, sandy paste, & grey grit!

  20. #20
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    Also forgot to mention, (for you twist shift fans) on the new XTR 985, you can push past the detent and drop up to 4 gears with one push/pull on the rear derailluer shifter. You can also gain up to two with a single push/pull.
    Sram has nothing like this. I'm certain they'll be looking to add this capabilities to whatever their next XO, but for now there was no new version of the Sram derailluers /shifters during the shows this year; only new colorways.
    Me? I'll take new tech over better colors any day! Afterall, the only real color of the derailuers are dirt brown, red clay, sandy paste, & grey grit!




    Look for XO and XX Grip Shift next month.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Look for XO and XX Grip Shift next month.
    Yeah, but I haven't heard anything about the Sram Grip Shift line becoming available for the Moto fly team 29ers. I was comparing strictly based on what's currently available on the fly team and attempting to further answer Fab4's question. I figure notng the features of Shimano XTR and Sram XO, both currently available options on the fly team, is a valid apples to apples comparison. Although XX is Sram's top of the line, Shimano XTR and Sram X0 are the ones similiarly priced. But in my opinion, the current XTR beats out the (ridiculously overpriced) Sram XX as well.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8
    Ok, I am sold on the 29'er Ti hardtail(frame). Now how do I procure one? They are always sold out!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by demoto1 View Post
    Ok, I am sold on the 29'er Ti hardtail(frame). Now how do I procure one? They are always sold out!
    The 2x10 XTR/X0s Team Fly Ti are (practically all) sold out, but there are some in stock for the XX, the XTR 3x10, and the Fantom Ti. I'd been waiting for a while for the 2x10s to come in stock, and finally gave up and went with the XTR 3x10 a few weeks ago. Other than the crankset, it's the exact same bike as the 2x10, so my plan is to just swap that out rather than waiting potentially months for them to get restocked.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflash View Post
    The 2x10 XTR/X0s Team Fly Ti are (practically all) sold out, but there are some in stock for the XX, the XTR 3x10, and the Fantom Ti. I'd been waiting for a while for the 2x10s to come in stock, and finally gave up and went with the XTR 3x10 a few weeks ago. Other than the crankset, it's the exact same bike as the 2x10, so my plan is to just swap that out rather than waiting potentially months for them to get restocked.
    So, did you get it yet?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    So, did you get it yet?
    The bike or the crank? I got the bike (haven't had a chance to finish setting it up yet, though) and am still deciding what type of double crank I want to put on it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    22
    Newbie here...a couple of questions about that...

    I have been looking at the BD site for awhile...reviews have mostly been positive, even from a former MTB racer whom I forwarded the specs to..so heres my questions

    what is the advantage of 2x10 vs 3x10 on the Ti bikes? Is it personal preference? Being a Clydesdale, I am leaning heavily towards a 29XC bike for the majority of the riding I will have the opportunity to do..

    BD seems to have good deals for Ti bikes with superior components for the price...what I was looking at spending at one of a few LBS's, (12-1500), most have alivio/deore components with the occasionaly LX...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsedo View Post
    Newbie here...a couple of questions about that...

    I have been looking at the BD site for awhile...reviews have mostly been positive, even from a former MTB racer whom I forwarded the specs to..so heres my questions

    what is the advantage of 2x10 vs 3x10 on the Ti bikes? Is it personal preference? Being a Clydesdale, I am leaning heavily towards a 29XC bike for the majority of the riding I will have the opportunity to do..

    BD seems to have good deals for Ti bikes with superior components for the price...what I was looking at spending at one of a few LBS's, (12-1500), most have alivio/deore components with the occasionaly LX...
    Let start off by saying: I, like you, am relatively new to trail riding. Most of the riding on my previous mtb was in the street or at parks.I personally see the advantage of the 2x10 over the 3x10 in a couple important ways for a XC tral rider. The most obvious is the weight advantage. A lighter bike overall has to offer advantages over heavier ones in XC trail riding and climbing. That's the reasoning behind using any lighter materials including carbon. Secondly, Where I ride, I personally have no use for the gears on the 3rd chainring. It just tires me out, and offers little in the way of torgue to actually accomplish anything. I never use it anywaway. I never used it on my previous bike and I can't imagine the size of hill that would allow it to be advantagous! I mean, it spins entirely too fast, with too little torque to be effective. I never used it on my previous bike and don't miss it now.

  28. #28
    KVW
    KVW is offline
    Law abiding citizen
    Reputation: KVW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    510
    The big ring is mainly used for downhill or for paved flat land riding. If you can maintain a pace of at least 17-18mph on the street, then it has a use. I use it frequently since I use my 29er for road riding as well as mtb'ing. However I'm looking to swap out my 3rd ring for a bash guard since I find a 36t middle ring is just enough gear to not spin out. That and I suck at getting over large logs on the trail without hitting my chainring.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

  29. #29
    cdouble
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    243
    Advantages of 2:
    - Greater ground clearance
    - Less opportunity for cross-chaining
    - Possibly cleaner shifting
    - No chainring tattoo (if using bashguard)

    Advantages of 3:
    - Downhills (where gravity isn't enough)
    - Flats (if you are a very strong rider, I can't push big-little for long unless drafting which is rare on mountain bike)
    - Chainring tattoo (if you like such things)

    cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com
    cdouble

    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by cdouble View Post
    Advantages of 2:
    - Greater ground clearance
    - Less opportunity for cross-chaining
    - Possibly cleaner shifting
    - No chainring tattoo (if using bashguard)

    Advantages of 3:
    - Downhills (where gravity isn't enough)
    - Flats (if you are a very strong rider, I can't push big-little for long unless drafting which is rare on mountain bike)
    - Chainring tattoo (if you like such things)

    cdouble
    MO7S
    I was always under the impression from the tooth count that the smallest chain ring was the one left off on a 2x10, with the middle having a few less teeth to somewhat accomodate those now missing gears. Am I wrong?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    I was always under the impression from the tooth count that the smallest chain ring was the one left off on a 2x10, with the middle having a few less teeth to somewhat accomodate those now missing gears. Am I wrong?
    I also thought this was the case, I thought the small ring is what was left off.

    To the folks climbing stuff in 22/34 or 22/36 even, that jump to a 2x crank set is going to be tough. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I also thought this was the case, I thought the small ring is what was left off.

    To the folks climbing stuff in 22/34 or 22/36 even, that jump to a 2x crank set is going to be tough. Am I looking at this incorrectly?
    This is a quote for the available specs on the latest model 2x10 XTR crank from Shimano.

    The XTR Race 2x10 Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M985 comes in four crankarm lengths -- 170, 172.5, 175, and 180mm. You can also choose between 28/40t and 30/42t chainring configurations.


    My Moto's biggest chain ring is also 42 teeth.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    67
    GL finding a bash guard for that 3 bolt POS.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    GL finding a bash guard for that 3 bolt POS.
    I actually am using the 3x10 FSA Afterburner with the smallest chain ring removed and the XTR M985 shifter set to 2x10. Because it's originally a 3x10 it still uses the 4 bolts. Besides, I ride mainly cross country trail and haven't seen the need for a bashguard anyway.....

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    GL finding a bash guard for that 3 bolt POS.
    If you have the 2x10 Afterburner and are interested in trading for my 3x10 (4 bolt), hit me up with a personal message!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    894
    I have not gone to 10spd yet, but I'm running 2x9 rear11-34 front 22-32 and sometimes f22-34,, f24-34 f22-36,,f24-36 and I also have a 26t front I never have used it! I do endurance racing but when I'm just out riding for a few hours I stay on the 32 or 34 what ever I have on at the time (middle ring) we call it I have removed the outer 44 and put on a bash. I like to have lots of gears in the tool box but have found that 22-32 or 22-34 on the front & a 11-34 on the rear gives me what I need the 22 front keeps me from burning myself out in a race or when I was new to riding and doing long 100 mile mtb rides..

    Odiggy,I don't know yet if on the 10spd 2x10 if they removed the inner or the outer. BUT I had assumed they left out the outer ring but when I assume things I'm mostly wrong! ;-)

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    I have not gone to 10spd yet, but I'm running 2x9 rear11-34 front 22-32 and sometimes f22-34,, f24-34 f22-36,,f24-36 and I also have a 26t front I never have used it! I do endurance racing but when I'm just out riding for a few hours I stay on the 32 or 34 what ever I have on at the time (middle ring) we call it I have removed the outer 44 and put on a bash. I like to have lots of gears in the tool box but have found that 22-32 or 22-34 on the front & a 11-34 on the rear gives me what I need the 22 front keeps me from burning myself out in a race or when I was new to riding and doing long 100 mile mtb rides..

    Odiggy,I don't know yet if on the 10spd 2x10 if they removed the inner or the outer. BUT I had assumed they left out the outer ring but when I assume things I'm mostly wrong! ;-)
    My "converted ghetto" 2x10 started out as a 3x10 w/a 42-32-24t setup. I took off the smallest 24t ring to make the crank similiar to the 2x10s I saw on the market and from personal experience with the uselessness of the smallest chainring, for me, in my normal riding behavior. Like the XTR crank I mentioned above, most 2x10s I've seen advertised have similiar tooth counts of my current "ghetto" 2x10.
    But in the end, to each his own! This works for me. I have to say, you must be very healthy to push those smaller rings over long distances. I envy your athleticism! Oh, btw, I also mainly use the "middle" 32t ring during rides. So from there I guess you can go either way, depending upon your needs when converting to a 2x10.
    Last edited by Odiggy; 01-10-2012 at 04:47 AM.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    529
    I live in St Louis and we have some pretty modest hills, but I have found 1x9 (or soon 10) is the way to go. I ride an 11-32 cassette and 32T chainring and love it!

  39. #39
    Crash Test Genius
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    I just received the Fantom 29er XO FS. I am still battling weather but have managed to get a couple rides in. My old bike is a 32 lb 18" 26er hard-tail with XT components so this was a step up in many ways.

    The 42cm Fantom 29er XO FS weighs 28 lbs. I confirmed this with my highly accurate $10 luggage scale. Actually, this scale seems to be in line with airport scales, so I do trust it.

    I am 205 lbs, 5'8" with a 32" inseam. Coming off of an 18" 26er I was concerned about what size would work best, 42cm or 47cm. Sight unseen, I carefully reviewed the posted bike dimensions and ordered the 42cm bike. After owning my 26er for 7-years, I have the geometry for all points of contact (grips, seat, pedals) exactly where I want them. I was pleased to find that I could mirror this configuration with the 42 cm Fantom. Being a 29er, with a typically high stand-over height, I was also pleased that I could go with the smaller bike and have a comfortable fit. The geometry info from BD is a little difficult to follow for the SO (stand-over) height so you may be interested to know that, at the low point of the top bar, the SO height is 28.3 inches and, at mid-point of the top bar, the SO height is 30.2 inches. The SO height for the front of the top bar is "ouch, scoot back."

    Which is better, the 29er FS vs the 29er HT Ti... Good question. I would have gone for the Ti but I really wanted the FS. My compromise was to take the FS and to get serious about my own body weight. If I drop from 205 to 185... you get the idea. This really is a personal preference. FS gives you added control by keeping the tread on the ground while the Ti HT gives you greater agility by knocking off about 5.5-lbs (28-22.5). I have a greater weakness in control than I do in agility plus I can easily knock 6-lbs off my torso so I found the FS more desirable since it offsets my more difficult weakness. If you are already so lien that losing any additional weight is a compromise, the Ti may be a better option.

    About the ride...
    I used a shock pump to adjust the Reba fork and Monarch rear shock to my weight. The ride was awesome. I realize my perspective is relative to my old 26" HT but, none-the-less... WOW! Note that I use egg-beaters and have coordinated my pedaling to power the full 360 rotation so I do not have a noticeable down-stroke power loss. But if I did, the Monarch has a nimble easy to reach switch to firm up the ride on the fly and, if you find reaching down too inconvenient, you can pickup a thumb remote for about a 100-bucks (worth it for competitive racers).

    XO transmission... You ask. It delivers without hesitation. I read a review that the XX version benefits from weight reduction but it is more difficult to service. Again, if you are a racer, this might be worth the extra $$$ to save a couple ounces.

    The tires (WTB Prowlers) ... Good on the dry stuff. Terrible in mud.

    The saddle (WTB Rocket)... reasonably light and very comfortable. A keeper in my book.

    The grips (Ritchey Hex Foam)... Extremely light but my hands went numb fast. I traded off for a pair of Ergons.

    Elixir 9 brakes w/ 180mm rotors... These blow the doors off the 650 mm mechanicals on my 26" bike.

    Enough said. Happy trails.

  40. #40
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    The Ti hardtail will never be obsolete.
    ..
    As long as I've been biking, suspension has changed and improved. The 29er fs will be outdated if not obsolete some day, maybe someday soon.
    It seems to me that the current rate of change in geometry and component interface standards for hardtails outpaces suspension improvements ..

    My 2008 Fly Ti has an outdated steep and short geometry by now.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    235
    Also I think some features will remain due to various rider sizes. Taller riders preferring 29 inch wheels (or maybe larger in future?, who knows?). Type of riding also has a huge impact on what is or isn't obsolete.

  42. #42
    newfydog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It seems to me that the current rate of change in geometry and component interface standards for hardtails outpaces suspension improvements ..

    My 2008 Fly Ti has an outdated steep and short geometry by now.
    Absolutely unridable I imagine. Dangerous even to think about using such a thing. I'm headed off for six weeks in France and Italy on the old 1999 Mongoose Ti . I hope it works better than a FS bike with an old blown discontinued shock!.

  43. #43
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    Absolutely unridable I imagine. Dangerous even to think about using such a thing.
    No, it rides about just as well as my ten year old full suspension bike. Which is just fine. Heck, my 1994 FSR was riding just fine until not too long ago.

  44. #44
    diy-er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by betucker View Post
    I just received the Fantom 29er XO FS. I am still battling weather but have managed to get a couple rides in. My old bike is a 32 lb 18" 26er hard-tail with XT components so this was a step up in many ways.

    The 42cm Fantom 29er XO FS weighs 28 lbs. I confirmed this with my highly accurate $10 luggage scale. Actually, this scale seems to be in line with airport scales, so I do trust it.

    I am 205 lbs, 5'8" with a 32" inseam. Coming off of an 18" 26er I was concerned about what size would work best, 42cm or 47cm. Sight unseen, I carefully reviewed the posted bike dimensions and ordered the 42cm bike. After owning my 26er for 7-years, I have the geometry for all points of contact (grips, seat, pedals) exactly where I want them. I was pleased to find that I could mirror this configuration with the 42 cm Fantom. Being a 29er, with a typically high stand-over height, I was also pleased that I could go with the smaller bike and have a comfortable fit. The geometry info from BD is a little difficult to follow for the SO (stand-over) height so you may be interested to know that, at the low point of the top bar, the SO height is 28.3 inches and, at mid-point of the top bar, the SO height is 30.2 inches. The SO height for the front of the top bar is "ouch, scoot back."

    Which is better, the 29er FS vs the 29er HT Ti... Good question. I would have gone for the Ti but I really wanted the FS. My compromise was to take the FS and to get serious about my own body weight. If I drop from 205 to 185... you get the idea. This really is a personal preference. FS gives you added control by keeping the tread on the ground while the Ti HT gives you greater agility by knocking off about 5.5-lbs (28-22.5). I have a greater weakness in control than I do in agility plus I can easily knock 6-lbs off my torso so I found the FS more desirable since it offsets my more difficult weakness. If you are already so lien that losing any additional weight is a compromise, the Ti may be a better option.

    About the ride...
    I used a shock pump to adjust the Reba fork and Monarch rear shock to my weight. The ride was awesome. I realize my perspective is relative to my old 26" HT but, none-the-less... WOW! Note that I use egg-beaters and have coordinated my pedaling to power the full 360 rotation so I do not have a noticeable down-stroke power loss. But if I did, the Monarch has a nimble easy to reach switch to firm up the ride on the fly and, if you find reaching down too inconvenient, you can pickup a thumb remote for about a 100-bucks (worth it for competitive racers).

    XO transmission... You ask. It delivers without hesitation. I read a review that the XX version benefits from weight reduction but it is more difficult to service. Again, if you are a racer, this might be worth the extra $$$ to save a couple ounces.

    The tires (WTB Prowlers) ... Good on the dry stuff. Terrible in mud.

    The saddle (WTB Rocket)... reasonably light and very comfortable. A keeper in my book.

    The grips (Ritchey Hex Foam)... Extremely light but my hands went numb fast. I traded off for a pair of Ergons.

    Elixir 9 brakes w/ 180mm rotors... These blow the doors off the 650 mm mechanicals on my 26" bike.

    Enough said. Happy trails.
    Thanks for the review. -good info.
    I'm almost certain that the 42cm size is right for me also. Can you make a couple of measurements for me since you own the real thing? 1) the distance between the center of the front hub and the center of the handlebar where it meets the stem, and 2) the distance between the top of the seat post tube and the center of the handlebar where it meets the stem. This will really help me out.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    235
    Wow that's heavy given the components. My giant anthem 2 29er was 27 stock.

  46. #46
    diy-er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Wow that's heavy given the components. My giant anthem 2 29er was 27 stock.
    28 lbs for a FS bike costing $2200 isn't heavy. However, I think I know what you're saying, the frame must be heavy compared to your Giant.

  47. #47
    diy-er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Another data point on weight: I recently did 7 miles on a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er ($2750). It weighed in at 31 lbs (M size).

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by sandh View Post
    28 lbs for a FS bike costing $2200 isn't heavy. However, I think I know what you're saying, the frame must be heavy compared to your Giant.
    I wasn't comparing weight to -cost- but the component set. Hard to save much more weight without spending a ton of money for these bikes is all.

    I can realistically upgrade on my LBS bike via internet parts and get a much better cost/weight ratio as an example.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by sandh View Post
    Another data point on weight: I recently did 7 miles on a 2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er ($2750). It weighed in at 31 lbs (M size).
    Tried that bike and wasn't for me. The front felt just "big" and I had a harder time in tight turns with it. I definitely noticed the whole front tire...

  50. #50
    diy-er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Tried that bike and wasn't for me. The front felt just "big" and I had a harder time in tight turns with it. I definitely noticed the whole front tire...
    I thought it felt front-end heavy. I liked the climbing ability and the full suspension feel. -I've been riding a 25lb hard tail so my comments are no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Motobecane 29er
    By PatSM in forum Motobecane
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
  2. Motobecane 29er
    By PatSM in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
  3. Bike choice: motobecane 29er pro vs Gary Fisher Cobia 29er
    By merlinm in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 10:06 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 05:17 AM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •