Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AZ
    banned
    Links to reviews?

29ering
    Jan 2011

Motobecane Ti 29er and Motobecane 29er FS Budding Rivalry

There seems to be quite the rivalry with these two models. On one hand you have an impressive titanium 29er that knows no bounds, and on the other hand you have a full suspension 29er designed by bikesdirect that has also received some rave reviews. So which model wins?

I'll tell you which one wins, and that's the motobecane titanium 29er...here is why...

Well you might be trying to decide which one to go with. Here are some things to consider...

Full Suspension versus the "soft" ride of titanium

Look of the Ti 29er is a lot nicer IMO but then again I haven't seen the FS model in person.

The Full Suspension bike weighs considerably more...about 8-11 pounds more I would estimate.

I've also found the ride on the Ti 29er better than that of the Gary Fisher Superfly.

Can't comment on the Moto FS 29er ride quality.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I'll have them both when the FS ships. I suspect they'll be complimentary.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's the approximate weight of the Ti 29er?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    It varies by model, all the weights are listed on the BD site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the XX version in a small running tubless, tips the scales at 21.6lbs... Been racing this bike since it came out. Absolutly love its feel and comfort! Swapped its bars to a riser with more sweep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    I'll have them both when the FS ships. I suspect they'll be complimentary.
    Let us know how the two compare when you receive them. I myself is debating if I should get the ti XO 29er 20sp or the XTR 29er FS 20 speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It varies by model, all the weights are listed on the BD site.
    It does not give the weight for this bike on BD. It seems to just give the weights of the light bikes.

Anyone know what this bike weighs at?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer24 View Post
    It does not give the weight for this bike on BD. It seems to just give the weights of the light bikes.

Anyone know what this bike weighs at?
    Try this site http://motobecane.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's a very biased and superficial answer. I much prefer the look of the hardtail vs. the FS bikes from BD, so I say hardtail. And that's what I have

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    According to bikes direct customer service and other threads, the XO and XTR FS 29er bikes are ~28lbs. The XT FS 29er bike is ~30lbs. The Ti bikes have their weights listing on the BD website.

I'm trying to decide between the two as well and got some great feedback from newfydog on a thread titled "Fly Ti 29er in Arizona?".

Any more opinions by people who have ridden both?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Delete.
    Last edited by Odiggy; 12-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Delete.
    Last edited by Odiggy; 12-09-2011 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kalroot View Post
    According to bikes direct customer service and other threads, the XO and XTR FS 29er bikes are ~28lbs. The XT FS 29er bike is ~30lbs. The Ti bikes have their weights listing on the BD website.

I'm trying to decide between the two as well and got some great feedback from newfydog on a thread titled "Fly Ti 29er in Arizona?".

Any more opinions by people who have ridden both?
    I have the Fly team ti 29er and my wife the Fantom Pro 29er. Even though the aluminum fantom 29er is a hardtail, I have to imagine it is similiar or less in wieght to the fantom 29er full suspension. My fly team ti is an XL 21" and wieghs in at 23.8lbs. My wife's 19" Fantom Pro wieghs in at 28lbs. Frame size not withstanding, her fantom is considerably heavier than the fly team.
    Truth is, the bike you get should be totally determined by the type of riding you plan on doing. Me? I love cross country, faster paced, rolling trails with a minimum of logs and mounds to jump off and over. The fly team handles roots, stones and bunny hops over smaller logs admirably! I personally would not be comfortable using it as a downhill, cliff jumping, rockgarden crossing type of bike on a regular basis. If you plan on riding those types of terrain regularly, than I'd recommend the full suspension. Fast climbing, trail eating, sprinter is the Fly team titanium.
    That's my 2 cents.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Here's a couple more considerations:

The Ti hardtail will never be obsolete. It is a smooth light bike which will last forever. I have a Ti Mongoose 26er I've had for 14 years. I keep it in the south of France now to save the hassle and expense of bringing a bike every year, and everytime I pull it out, I think," darn, this is still a nice bike". It has been through more parts than you can imagine, and now has a front disc.

As long as I've been biking, suspension has changed and improved. The 29er fs will be outdated if not obsolete some day, maybe someday soon.

You can make the ti hardtail into a pretty good whomper bike with some fork modifications and big ass tires. It has clearance for 2.4's. Before I had the FS bike I had two sets of wheels for the Ti 29er. Nothing will make that FS bike into a lightweight flyer which feels quick on a two hour climb.

Finally there is skill. I got passed on a rocky technical sidehill descent on my FS bike by a cyclocross bike. I don't suck, but the cyclocrosser was a national champion. We have enough of them around Bend to keep you humble. You don't really need alll that suspension if you are skilled and tough.

Not selling my FS any time soon. I like pulling out the smooth rig for the rough stuff, but it wouldn't be my only bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fab4 View Post
    Let us know how the two compare when you receive them. I myself is debating if I should get the ti XO 29er 20sp or the XTR 29er FS 20 speed.
    Shimano XTR does everything Sram XO does nowadays. The main differences were in the shifting, but on the new 985 XTR, you can push or pull, unlike Sram XO where you can only push I believe. Also, the new XTR allows you to switch to/from 2x10 to 3x10 with the flick of a switch on the front derailluer shifter. I'm not perfectly certain, but I know I've read no reviews of the Sram shifters having this capability. I admit to not having ridden much Sram , but in doing my research before the buy I chose Shimano XTR because they've seemed to me to have put more research and development into the latest XTR shifters. In a year or so I'm sure Sram will answer with something similar. But for now, the newest XTR is the top technology. (IMO)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    I have a 20" 29er and it scaled in at 23.3 lbs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

mtbr member
    Deleted. Duplicate post

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    Shimano XTR does everything Sram XO does nowadays. The main differences were in the shifting, but on the new 985 XTR, you can push or pull, unlike Sram XO where you can only push I believe. Also, the new XTR allows you to switch to/from 2x10 to 3x10 with the flick of a switch on the front derailluer shifter. I'm not perfectly certain, but I know I've read no reviews of the Sram shifters having this capability. I admit to not having ridden much Sram , but in doing my research before the buy I chose Shimano XTR because they've seemed to me to have put more research and development into the latest XTR shifters. In a year or so I'm sure Sram will answer with something similar. But for now, the newest XTR is the top technology. (IMO)
    Also forgot to mention, (for you twist shift fans) on the new XTR 985, you can push past the detent and drop up to 4 gears with one push/pull on the rear derailluer shifter. You can also gain up to two with a single push/pull.
    Sram has nothing like this. I'm certain they'll be looking to add this capabilities to whatever their next XO, but for now there was no new version of the Sram derailluers /shifters during the shows this year; only new colorways.
    Me? I'll take new tech over better colors any day! Afterall, the only real color of the derailuers are dirt brown, red clay, sandy paste, & grey grit!

AZ
    banned
    Also forgot to mention, (for you twist shift fans) on the new XTR 985, you can push past the detent and drop up to 4 gears with one push/pull on the rear derailluer shifter. You can also gain up to two with a single push/pull.
    Sram has nothing like this. I'm certain they'll be looking to add this capabilities to whatever their next XO, but for now there was no new version of the Sram derailluers /shifters during the shows this year; only new colorways.
    Me? I'll take new tech over better colors any day! Afterall, the only real color of the derailuers are dirt brown, red clay, sandy paste, & grey grit!

Look for XO and XX Grip Shift next month.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Look for XO and XX Grip Shift next month.
    Yeah, but I haven't heard anything about the Sram Grip Shift line becoming available for the Moto fly team 29ers. I was comparing strictly based on what's currently available on the fly team and attempting to further answer Fab4's question. I figure notng the features of Shimano XTR and Sram XO, both currently available options on the fly team, is a valid apples to apples comparison. Although XX is Sram's top of the line, Shimano XTR and Sram X0 are the ones similiarly priced. But in my opinion, the current XTR beats out the (ridiculously overpriced) Sram XX as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, I am sold on the 29'er Ti hardtail(frame). Now how do I procure one? They are always sold out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by demoto1 View Post
    Ok, I am sold on the 29'er Ti hardtail(frame). Now how do I procure one? They are always sold out!
    The 2x10 XTR/X0s Team Fly Ti are (practically all) sold out, but there are some in stock for the XX, the XTR 3x10, and the Fantom Ti. I'd been waiting for a while for the 2x10s to come in stock, and finally gave up and went with the XTR 3x10 a few weeks ago. Other than the crankset, it's the exact same bike as the 2x10, so my plan is to just swap that out rather than waiting potentially months for them to get restocked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflash View Post
    The 2x10 XTR/X0s Team Fly Ti are (practically all) sold out, but there are some in stock for the XX, the XTR 3x10, and the Fantom Ti. I'd been waiting for a while for the 2x10s to come in stock, and finally gave up and went with the XTR 3x10 a few weeks ago. Other than the crankset, it's the exact same bike as the 2x10, so my plan is to just swap that out rather than waiting potentially months for them to get restocked.
    So, did you get it yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So, did you get it yet?
    The bike or the crank? I got the bike (haven't had a chance to finish setting it up yet, though) and am still deciding what type of double crank I want to put on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast