Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Motobecane stock WTB i23 Race Wheelset --weight

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RajunCajun44 
#1 ·
For those of you that are curious...

I removed the stock wheelset from a Omni Strada Pro...

WTB Frequency i23 race wheelset...

and weighed it.. It weighed in at 2.32 kg... no rotors, no cassette, no tires, no skewers etc...

That is ridiculously heavy... No wonder why the damn bike is so heavy..

Anyway I had already bought a set of Stan's Iron Cross wheels that weigh 1.54 kg and put those on ...

Thats almost a difference of 2 lbs in weight reduction..

#2 ·
Almost all bikedirects wheels are heavy as sin. Strong though.

The rims are trail rims, so that's not a surprise the iron cross are a lot lighter. The rim weight should be expected though. They hidden weights are the hub and spokes. There are 32 spokes, straight gauge, so there's some extra useless weight that can cause spoke tension issues in time (and the spokes are some cheap brand I was able to find on ebay for about $5 per wheel). The hubs are the killers though. The front isn't bad, but not good. Standard alloy hub with steel axle. The rear is extra heavy though. Cheap cup & cone hub with steel freehub. They work, but they are heavy.

#3 ·
agreed 100%, and yes the WTB wheelset seems very sturdy.. the bike without pedals is now under 22lbs.. which I can live with for sure...

The bike itself rides nicely for being aluminum... which means its likely (but I dont know) it has a heavy frame... which is not a bad thing at all... one thing I can't stand is riding a light aluminum fame over rough surfaces :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.