mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Motobecane Mtn Bikes for Kids

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on the Motobecanes for kids. My daughter is turning 8, and am thinking of a bike with 24" wheels. On the Bikes Direct site, I can't see where it indicates whether any of the 13" frames are set with 24 or 26" wheels. Trying to decide between an Motobecane and an Ibex.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I just got my answer from bikesdirect.com, the only bike they sell with 24" wheels is the Terry Susan BX, with non-suspension forks. Seems like one of their least impressive deals. So, they are not really interested in targeting the kid market, yet. Bummer.

Save up to 60% off Womens Bikes, Mountain Bikes - MTB - Terry Susan B Brake Women's Mountain Bikes Specific for women

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks was wondering the same for my 8yo daughter. For now she's stuck on her Wmart bike.

I managed to get my 5' 12yo son on a 17.5" Gravity point 29er, and he loves it. It is a little big, but he won't be out growing it anytime too soon.

mtbr member
    I e-mailed the BD sales team last year, asking them if they had any plans for kids' bikes. The told me they don't think there's enough of a market there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't think their (bikesdirect) women's offerings are very impressive, either. I think you are just as well off with Specialized Myka.

For kids, the Ibex 440K w/24" wheels ($479, or so) looks good, but I think I like the Myka 26" with 13" frame (for a boy or girl), and it costs less than the Ibex with much more room to grow (although with lesser components, but that is not quite as important for the little ones, and you can upgrade the components as they grow). My searching over the past few days has revealed that you really don't have good discount options for good-quality kids bikes, and there is a gap between the $350 bikes that are just not up to snuff, and the $440 range (Myka 26" wheels/13" frame, w/ v-brakes). The Mykas don't look "girlie", so I think I could pull it off for my son or daughter. I'm not very educated on the relative qualities within the lower-end components, so that's where I struggle to tell one from another.