mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Motobecane Mountain Bike

Hello, I just joined recently and have been lurking around the forums to research information for a bike purchase. I have ran across this brand and happen to live in Houston where Cycle Spectrum carries these bikes. I have to say I was very impressed when taking the 700HT and Fantom Comp out for a test ride.

I'm new to this and the only kind of riding I will be doing is urban, Memorial Park trails, casual dirt trails, but not any competitive racing. I want to be able to pick a model that will suit me and not be too much bike for what I need. I don't mind spending a little more for better components so these bikes have been on my eye as well: Fly Team Pro, and Fantom Elite, and Pro Ti.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you in advance!

Space for rent...
    How tall/heavy are you? Do you ever see yourself pushing your limits, and perhaps getting into racing, riding more extreme trails down the road?

The reason I ask, it is not uncommon for a newbie buy a bike, like it, then find out quite quickly that they should have bought something different.
    It's only pain......

~Disc~Golf~
    ELITE!! - just in case you ever want to do some heavier trails later on. my $.02
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am 5'9" at 175lbs. I tend to get really into any hobby I start so I see myself definitely getting into more challenging trails, but not to the point where I would be racing. Like you said, I don't want to be purchasing a new bike 3-6 months down the road.

I can say that the Fantom Pro Ti is too much for what I need and what attracts me to that bike is a titanium bike at that price point ($1700). The Fly series may be too aggressive for me for everyday riding but I am not sure. I want to get it right before making the purchase this week. Thank you for responding

Gringo
    The Fly series is pretty aggressive, but that may be in support of the fun and not detrimental if you are riding relatively smooth trails. The fun in the Fly is that it is so fast, precise, and reactive. Do you need an FS for comfort, or to cover ground that would otherwise prove painful on a hardtail? Comfort, and a loss of physique were the deciding factors when I purchased my first FS.

G.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The reason for a FS would be just for comfort. The only experience I've had with a FS was my dad's Marin (not sure what model but he paid roughly $1,000). I did not like the feel of his FS because it seemed like the added rear suspension was mushy when i tried to accelerate.

With that being said I have learned that you can not get a great FS without spend over $1K.

Thanks for the help guys but it's still a hard choice for me. I am ruling out the Fantom Pro Ti. I am setting my budget at $1,300 so it's the Fly Pro, Fantom Elite HT, Fantom Pro HT, or a Fantom full suspension.

Space for rent...
    Any of the bikes you have listed will work for you. I ride the Fly Pro and love it. I like the lightness and explosive acceleration, and regardless what anyone else says, the cassette is more than adequate for climbing. It was spec's as a fast, light-weight bike and fits the bill perfectly. I also ride a rigid singlespeed, so the 4" of travel on the Fly feel very plush to me. Others may complain that a hard-tail it is too harsh/uncomfortable.

You may not get into racing, but as you ride more, you will find yourself going to more challenging areas. Suspension is not just for comfort, but to keep BOTH wheels on the ground, and therefore keep better control of you bike. For this reason, I would recommend a full suspension bike for you.

The Fantom Comp comes with front/rear suspension, and both can be locked out (great for long climbs). Advances in fork/shock technology has resulted in both outstanding performance as well as the ability to customize them to suit your riding style. Just because your dad's bike felt limp, doesn't mean all FS bikes are.

Good luck
    Last edited by SSteve F; 11-04-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    It's only pain......