mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Motobecane Fantom 29er Red

I thought I would put this here as well as the 29er forum.

I couldn't find any photos of a Red Motobecane Fantom 29er when I was doing my new bike shopping so I thought it might help someone else. I just put this together this morning.
    I wanted a 29er and test rode a Gary fisher and a specialized Rockhopper, they were both selling for around $900+- and didn't have as nice of components as the Motobecane at $595. So I took a chance and ordered this

After putting it together I would say it feels pretty much the same as the Rockhopper as far as ride position goes.
    I would have chose the red color even if they had some black left if stock. Now seeing the red I think black would be a better choice. But the red's not horrible and I don't care much about the color anyway.

To me the Fantom 29er Pro was a better value but I don't think I will ride the bike hard enough to justify it.

The assembly was easy and took about an hour with some distractions. The fine tuning of the disk brakes took another hour and I'm sure I will mess with it more before I get it just right.

The frame looks good, the welds are all well done and the paint is perfect (The matte finish seems like it could chip and scratch very easily though).
    I ordered the 19inch frame because all the 17" frames I tried felt too compact. I am just under 6 foot tall and Have a 32" standover. I'ts a close fit, my pants just touch the bar. but I can stand comfortably flat footed.

The RockShox dart 3, seems stiff enough now, but others have said it is better for lighter riders (I'm 200lbs) Again I don't think I will ride hard enough to put it to the test.

I was nervous about ordering online without trying it, but now that I have it I think it's going to work out great. Time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like your similar proportioned to me (I'm 6' and 32 inch inseam) and I would have purchased the 19" as well (I purchased the Large Windsor which has similar stand over and TT length as the 19" Moto). Its better to size to the top tube length, otherwise as you experienced you end up being too cramped and needing to use an excessively long stem.

If the fork gets too soft for you, order the X-Firm (180lbs+) spring which will work great for your weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, I'll remember the x-firm springs if need be.
    I just about flipped a coin between the two bikes. I didn't know anything about the SRAM components on the Windsor so I went with what I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think the red looks pretty cool. Besides so many bikes are matte black, I prefer to be different.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Former Bike Wrench

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by slavedog
    Thanks, I'll remember the x-firm springs if need be.
    I just about flipped a coin between the two bikes. I didn't know anything about the SRAM components on the Windsor so I went with what I know.
    I picked the Windsor because I prefer SRAM...have since 1997

Otherwise it was a toss up for me as well between the Windsor and the Moto.

I also think the Red is pretty cool looking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Yo!

Hey~i Like The Color. Its Very Cool In That Matt Finish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Many bike companies put plastic or resin body platform pedals on bikes to keep the price in a target range. Nothing wrong with that, but just to be on the safe side, if you plan to stay with platform pedals, try to get some aluminum or magnesium body plats. I've heard some bad stories about resin & plastic pedals breaking. Better safe than sorry.---zarr P.S.- don't forget your helmet and gloves.(protection)
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

High Speed Steaks
    I like the RED! It looks kick ass. Congrats on your ride.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Many bike companies put plastic or resin body platform pedals on bikes to keep the price in a target range. Nothing wrong with that, but just to be on the safe side, if you plan to stay with platform pedals, try to get some aluminum or magnesium body plats. I've heard some bad stories about resin & plastic pedals breaking. Better safe than sorry.---zarr P.S.- don't forget your helmet and gloves.(protection)

I need to edit my comments (sorry) I said before that the pedals were all metal, but now that I take a second look they are plastic on the inside with a metel platform. That is the first thing I would replace anyway.
    Last edited by slavedog; 10-05-2008 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    I like the RED! It looks kick ass. Congrats on your ride.
    Thanks,
    I got a chance to take it for an extended ride the other day. Everything was great, the frame didn't explode and the setup feels good. The shock needed a bit of tuning in for me but now i think I've got it.
    The 29er is perfect for me as I tend to do more limestone trail riding but it handled great off road the other day. I did notice it feels big on the tighter turns and low branch areas in the forest single track, but not enough to complain about it.
    It feels great on the flat sections as the big wheels just roll along.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the bike or the bikes direct experience. Other than I feel sort of guilty for not buying it from my local bike shop and hope they don't snub me if I ever need to bring it in. But with the $300 I saved I can buy some of their overpriced addons

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Motobecane Fantom Pro Satisfaction!

A few months ago I bought the Motobecane Fantom Pro SL 29er and I'm loving it as well. I've had some second thoughts about the Reba because like Slavedog I don't really push my bikes to critical mass. I love humping up and down the trails at Minnewaska State Park in New York's Hudson Valley Shawangunks, but generally I'm a little more trail oriented. I probably could have skipped the extra bucks for the Dual Air Shock. Still, the bike is great, Bikesdirect gets my vote for straight no-frills ahead savings.

http://bikingthehudsonvalley.shutterfly.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Fantom 29er Red-fantom-pro-smaller.jpg  

Motobecane Fantom 29er Red-fantom-pro-1smaller.jpg  

Motobecane Fantom 29er Red-handlebar-view-smaller.jpg