mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Motobecane Fantom 29 Upgrades

Ok. Here's the question for those of you that know your stuff! I just ordered the Fantom 29 and I can't wait for the UPS truck! It seems that the components are rather solid and seems like a comparable bike to the Specialized Rockhopper M4. That bike also had the Dart Shox, mechanical discs and was equipped with Sram 5/4 respectively instead of Shimano Deore.
    Down the road if I really wanted to make some substantial quality upgrades... What would be your recommendations? Yes I realize I could have purchased the Pro (I liked the red better) but I mean improvements beyond the Pro.
    Front shock?
    Shifters?
    Hydraulic Brakes?
    Etc...
    Also, what online site would be the best to buy from to later have components installed at LBS?
    Opinions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BTW... Slavedog. You're to blame for me getting the red Fantom 29. LOL. Sweet pic!

Former Bike Wrench
    The components are pretty good, but there are a few key areas I would look at.

1) Fork...Look at a good air fork, Tora is a start but a '08 Reba on clearance or even the highly rated RST M-29 would be a great choice

2) Crankset...upgrade to external bearing setup from Shimano, RaceFace, or Truvativ for a stiffer and lighter crankset

3) Pedals...solid set of clipless or platform (based on your preference) will greatly increase your pedaling performance and safety

I order most of my parts from Universal Cycles, best service and selection and they do offer price matching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jagsr71
    BTW... Slavedog. You're to blame for me getting the red Fantom 29. LOL. Sweet pic!
    I like mine more every time I ride it. I still need to get the brakes just right, they feel diffrent every time I ride. And I don't know how long the tires will hold up, they feel like they are a very soft compound, but I will give them a chance. Good Luck with yours!
    Slavedog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also, I had said before elsewhere that the bike came with metal platform pedals, but I was wrong, they are a plastic interior with only a metal platform. So that is going to be my first upgrade. Many bikes I have purchased don't come with any pedals at all, so you can ad whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cool. mtnbiker72- I found the Reba in a 07' fork being clearanced. The Tora is the same price. $399.
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...%2DNiner+Forks
    I'll do something about the crankset as well.
    slavedog- I keep hearing about the pedals from others and now both of you so definitely that's the first upgrade. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How big of a difference is there between the Dart 3 fork and the Reba. Yea... probably a dumb question but since I haven't received the bike yet, I just have to wonder and... If I bought the Reba and switched them out do you think there'd be much of a market for a new Dart 3 so that I can recover some of my funds? Definitely looking into a Shimano M770 Crankset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jagsr71
    How big of a difference is there between the Dart 3 fork and the Reba. Yea... probably a dumb question but since I haven't received the bike yet, I just have to wonder and... If I bought the Reba and switched them out do you think there'd be much of a market for a new Dart 3 so that I can recover some of my funds? Definitely looking into a Shimano M770 Crankset.
    The Dart 3 is no where close to as good as a Reba. The Reba is much lighter and the motion control damping is far superior. A new Dart 3 sells for about $175 when not on sale. So you aren't going to be able to get too much for it.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I figured it'd be far inferior to the Reba. I'd be happy to get $150 for it since it'd be brand new.
    Last edited by jagsr71; 10-05-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Many online sites have the Dart 3 under $150 new so your probably going to be doing good if you can get $100 or so for a "take off" new Dart 3. That's a good price on the Reba...if you wanted to save another $50 you can pick up a RST M-29 for $350

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good info. Is it comparable to the Reba? Looks like that site is out of stock but I'll check around.

Former Bike Wrench
    I have never personally rode one, but the reviews are good on MTBR (there is one bad review that is probably bogus) plus there are other good review such as this one from Twenty Nine Inches.

Universal Cycles has some left

Former Bike Wrench
    May also want to check out the Manitou Minute on sale at Jenson USA

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c=EM100808&x=y