mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Motobecane Elite Adventure

Hey guys,

I thought I'd post up some pics. I got the bike last week Friday, but last night was the first time that I had any time to start to put it together. Box was damaged, but all inside was good. Wasn't too difficult to put together. First got the handlebars in, and then got on the front wheel. I was surprised by the amount of slop in the caliper holes, so it took a little bit of adjustment so the pads weren't dragging when the caliper was bolted up. The wheels were pretty true, needed some slight adjustment, which didn't take too long. Probably longer than some, but it was the first time I have done it so I took my time.

I have the bike all assembled, but the deraileurs are going to be adjusted, as the chain was rubbing against the front one. I won't be able to get to that until Sunday though.

Over all, it hasn't been too bad. And since I enjoy working on things and tinkering it has been fun too Can't wait to finish getting it ride ready. If you aren't the type that enjoys tinkering, then BD may not be for you.

mtbr member
    Grats on the new bike.

Just so you know, the slop in the caliper mounting holes is for adjustment.
    If they come out of adjustment loosen the caliper bolts just to the point where they can wiggle, squeeze the brake lever which will cause them to center. While continuing to hold the brake lever evenly tighten the caliper bolts. Brakes are centered.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    Grats on the new bike.

Just so you know, the slop in the caliper mounting holes is for adjustment.
    If they come out of adjustment loosen the caliper bolts just to the point where they can wiggle, squeeze the brake lever which will cause them to center. While continuing to hold the brake lever evenly tighten the caliper bolts. Brakes are centered.
    Your way sounds much easier than what i did, i moved the caliper until there was no drag. I will have to revisit that tomorrow.

thanks,

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For anybody looking at this bike (or any of the motobecane adventure series) the rear wheel gets really tight with anything over 2.0". I put in a 1.9 Kenda Karma, and it fits, barely. The rear wheel has to be super true though, or you will get some rub on the inside of the chainstays under power. I'ts also a tight fit to get it in past the derailure because of the short chainstay. I originally tried to put a 2.1 tire in there, and it was just too close, wore away some paint on the chainstays and was an absolute bear to get in the dropouts.

In retrospec, I'd rather have a 29er frame that can handle a larger rear wheel. I've taken this bike off some pretty technical/rocky trails and it's handled beautifully, but some 2.2 tires would be greatly appreciated. The front chainrings are a bit larger for trail use, but they work. Only upgrade I've made was a rockshox recon silver; highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    General problems I've had include had some issues with the rear hub. I've removed the bearings/axle/cassette multiple times, and there's an unusual rubbing inside the hub/freewheel. It goes away and comes back. Tried multiple times to fix it, but sometimes, you just need to take it into the LBS. Considering the cost for a new 29er wheelset, I might just not worry about it too much. Front hub bearings had to be re-set after about 2 hundred miles, but that's almost expected. Also have some issues with the tektro brake pads making a weird clunk sound inside the brake housing. Almost like they are slamming against the inside of the housing when I apply the brakes and move back when I let go.

mtbr member
    Watts, my buddy at work bought one of these too. I told him to buy the fantom 29er..he didn't and bought the elite anyway. After some hard riding on our trails, he decided that wider wheels/tires were needed. He purchased a take-off set from bike island. I did the swap for him, but let him know that even the 2.1 nanos were still TOO wide. He rode it some more and his axle loosened up. He overly cranked the skewer and the wheel was binding. I brought the bike home and took apart the whole rear-end. I cleaned/regreased everything. Still had an issue getting that axle loose so I could check the bearings......I'll work on that tomorrow. I told him that the bike is just not made for wide tires. He is now considering 2.0s.....they will still drag..there is already a wide wear spot on the left chainstay near the rear of the bottom bracket. I give up.....gonna check and retighten rear axle and give it back to him. BTW, the cable routing on top of the toptube is a sorry idea. The elements will get into the cable housing and cause some drag issues. But, I'm guessing that BD didn't really intend for this model to tackle much off-road action.
    Rub some dirt on it and walk it off!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ended up getting some Kenda Karma 1.9's off amazon for the rear, and they worked fine for offroad use and fit between the chainstays (barely). It handled OK, especially when I put on a rockshox recon fork. Ultimately, ended up getting a real 29er bike, and put the moto elite back to stock wheels with a rigid fork. Much better for road/gravel.

For cable routing, top route it is nice if you're using it for cyclocross training (picking the frame up to carry the bike) or put it on a car's trunk mount bike rack (bottom routed cables rub between the rack and frame). However, I tried to put a stembag on this bike, and it just didn't work with top routed cables. The stembag was almost torn through by cable shifting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    How is your Elite Adventure holding up? I'm debating in spending the additional $80 for the X5 version with the hydraulic brakes.

I haven't purchased a new bike for about 15-years... where my old one is long gone and so this will be my first bike in a while. I'm definitely a noob regarding bikes, and I have my concerns of making adjustments to what ever bike I decide to purchase from BD to save a little money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Depends on what surface you want to ride. For road/asphalt, I'd rather have the base adventure elite. The hydraulics' aren't worth it for a commuter bike, especialy for the extra price. If you're riding trails, get the gravity 29.1. I have one, and prefer it for off road use. Wider tires are worth it for comfort and control. Not the best for road use though because it's a couple pounds heavier than the adventure elite, and the front chainring's gearing is a little low for road use. Not bad, but enough to get annoying with needing to shift to the large front ring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Depends on what surface you want to ride. For road/asphalt, I'd rather have the base adventure elite. The hydraulics' aren't worth it for a commuter bike, especialy for the extra price. If you're riding trails, get the gravity 29.1. I have one, and prefer it for off road use. Wider tires are worth it for comfort and control. Not the best for road use though because it's a couple pounds heavier than the adventure elite, and the front chainring's gearing is a little low for road use. Not bad, but enough to get annoying with needing to shift to the large front ring.
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm probably going save the money and get the base version with mechanical disc brakes. Besides, I think I prefer the flat white frame over the glossy black of the X5.

mtbr member
    How's the stand over on these bikes? The GEO makes it look really tall.

I've read that these bikes fit big.

I'm a L as far as reach/frame size is concerned... but I have a 30" inseam and am worried about the really tall S/O on the size L frame.

This will be used 100% on road, pavement, concrete and gravel bike paths. No singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got the 23" frame where I swapped the fork for a rigid from a monocog redline (about the same length fork so geometry should be close to the chart). The standover is about 35". I'm 6'5" and I need to be off my heels when straddling the toptube. I've used it on trails, and for a quick exit, the 23" frame didn't work. Crashed too many times and I got a 21" gravity 29.2. It actually has a longer wheelbase, with a shorter standover. For road use, it fits fine though.

For road/gravel, I wouldn't have a second thought about getting one (except I did have some problem with the formula hubs. probably a rare occurrence). The size is a bit large compared to a road bike, but not any more than a 29er. The frame will handle most stuff you'd throw at it, much more than a road bike. However, the tires are just skinny enough that you'll feel it more than true 29er with 2" wheels. One of the good things, you can easily put a 2" tire upfront for better control. I've done it, works great.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on a size L/19"...

bikeisland.com had one, less the Suntour front fork. Which is exactly how I wanted it BC, like you, I'm putting on a rigid fork. This will strictly be a putz'ing around bike. Run errands around town, tag the dog for a bike run (she loves chasing me when I'm on my bike), etc.

Hard to beat the cheap pricing! I can't buy a frame, wheels and tires for what they want for a complete bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    actually, that's how I got 2 of mine. Much rather get the reduced price from bikeisland, and buy the fork I want. The suntour fork sux.