mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Motobecane (BD) Contact?? Slow or NO

So I'm a confessed newbie to MtnBikes. Doing alot of research, sticking to the $300 - $450 range.

Found BD and since I am new I sent a lengthy email with phys stats, riding history, current riding pref, price point, etc - sent it to the Help Choosing a Bike email addy. In the email I also questioned Frame Size and the "ease" of aftermarket parts swap after I received the Bike. I received a less than 10 word response from "Courtney" (noted that the email time was late in the day, perhaps as she was wrapping up).

Well, thought I would try again, this time I sent the same email with a short preface asking for "actual recommendations, dialog/discussion" - this one I sent to the info@motobecane.com website email. Now granted I sent this one yesterday but as of this evening - No Response.

Makes me very apprehensive about doing business with an online business when someone like me, both a potential customer and an inexperienced buyer can't get a timely adequate response.

I've read threads on here where there have been some similar issues in the past - I wanted to check others recent experience with contact with BD / Motobecane for something other than an Order??

I will start another thread for Bike Rec's.

Thanks

mtbr member

No good advice

Im all for Motobecane and doing business with Bikes Direct.being a customer of them myself. But respectfully i think you'd be better off asking for advice as a new rider in forum such as this one or visiting a local bike shop. you dont have to buy from the bike shop but you can still ask for advice and figure out which bike style is the best for you. you will also be able to test ride a bike that way to know how certain sizes feel to you. And asking on this forum will more than likely get you 25 responses that are at least 20 words or more.

Im sure the person responding to your e-mails is not a trained professional in assisting new riders in buying a bike that is built for their personal specs or even have any riding experience for that matter. Its probably just customer support.

But i do agree that a business like BD should have responded with more than a 10 word e-mail. If they plan to sell a product they better be able to help the buyer buy the right product for his/her self. hopefully they end up getting back to you properly.

Bushwacker
    Same thing happened to me in 12-07. Even when they finaly responded, two weeks later, the answer was a generic response that didn't address 90% of my question.
    I ended up buying off ebay.
    If you buy from Bikesdirect you have to treat it like buying from walmart . Walmart will sell anything they have but don't bother asking a sales associate a question, you'll just get a blank stare.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I too ordered a bike from BD just a little over a week ago. I too was a little apprehensive about doing business with them as well. I had sent them emails and I think for an internet based company, with no telephone number, they are very slow to responde. A couple times as much as a couple working days. Also I too noticed they give rather short answers, but they did answers my questions. But no additional info that was for sure.

That being said. I looked at many bikes and for the money they had by far the best price. After I placed my order it was shipped out the next morning (I ordered it in the evening) so at least they ship promptly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well Guys, Thanks for the reponse here at least. BD lost me as a Customer due to their lack of response, I went with another Brand.

Problem solved - for me.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillenigma
    So I'm a confessed newbie to MtnBikes. Doing alot of research, sticking to the $300 - $450 range.

Found BD and since I am new I sent a lengthy email with phys stats, riding history, current riding pref, price point, etc - sent it to the Help Choosing a Bike email addy. In the email I also questioned Frame Size and the "ease" of aftermarket parts swap after I received the Bike. I received a less than 10 word response from "Courtney" (noted that the email time was late in the day, perhaps as she was wrapping up).

Well, thought I would try again, this time I sent the same email with a short preface asking for "actual recommendations, dialog/discussion" - this one I sent to the info@motobecane.com website email. Now granted I sent this one yesterday but as of this evening - No Response.

Makes me very apprehensive about doing business with an online business when someone like me, both a potential customer and an inexperienced buyer can't get a timely adequate response.

I've read threads on here where there have been some similar issues in the past - I wanted to check others recent experience with contact with BD / Motobecane for something other than an Order??

I will start another thread for Bike Rec's.

Thanks

I am sorry you received a response that was less than you expected

Please send me your e-mail and the response you received as a PM
    and I hope I can help you out

It is frustrating; as I wanted to greatly increase customer service this year; and added a 50% increase in staff; then gas prices shot up and our sales have more than doubled. sounds good - but the truth is we can not get enough bikes and can not get e-mails answered quick enough and have the staff [and myself] working on weekends

The one thing we do continue to keep up on is shipping; once someone orders we bust our rears to get the bike shipped

anyway, please PM me if you get a chance

thanks for your interest
    mike

Cartographer
    I don't understand why people are expecting fantastic response and customer service not pertaining to orders (advice on bikes) from a website that sells bikes directly from the factory. They obviously have the best prices around and the reason being is a small staff and low overhead to run. You should really try and get advice from the people that own the bikes, for instance people in this forum. It's obvious you went with another brand which was probably bought locally, and that's alright. Some people need that kind of buying relationship.

I am just trying to say complaining about something that isn't really expected isn't gonna get you anywhere. Although from the response above, it looks like they are going to try and increase that part of their company, and that also means a rise in price.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    I don't understand why people are expecting fantastic response and customer service not pertaining to orders (advice on bikes) from a website that sells bikes directly from the factory. They obviously have the best prices around and the reason being is a small staff and low overhead to run. You should really try and get advice from the people that own the bikes, for instance people in this forum. It's obvious you went with another brand which was probably bought locally, and that's alright. Some people need that kind of buying relationship.

I am just trying to say complaining about something that isn't really expected isn't gonna get you anywhere. Although from the response above, it looks like they are going to try and increase that part of their company, and that also means a rise in price.
    No disrespect but I don't buy it. If BD had 1 dedicated email sales support person who new the product line they would be doling OK. If someone has an email with 5 or 6 questions, someone who knew the bikes could answer it in a couple minutes. In a 7 hour day that person should be able to answer at least 200 emails ie....

1-The Fantom has better brakes.

2-You might be better suited for the ******* bike.

3- The pro model has XTR which is lighter than LX

etc etc.........

I like my Moto and would consider buying another one but please. Moto is owned by a USA resident who has multiple bike shops around the south and I suspect makes some big bucks. They are capable of providing timely, streamlined sales support, if they wanted to.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    No disrespect but I don't buy it. If BD had 1 dedicated email sales support person who new the product line they would be doling OK. If someone has an email with 5 or 6 questions, someone who knew the bikes could answer it in a couple minutes. In a 7 hour day that person should be able to answer at least 200 emails ie....

1-The Fantom has better brakes.

2-You might be better suited for the ******* bike.

3- The pro model has XTR which is lighter than LX

etc etc.........

I like my Moto and would consider buying another one but please. Moto is owned by a USA resident who has multiple bike shops around the south and I suspect makes some big bucks. They are capable of providing timely, streamlined sales support, if they wanted to.
    And we do

I have checked into this case
    and seen the e-mails

The OP was actually told exactly what I would of [with a bit less 'sales spin' than I might have included]

Problem is:
    some customers want a short direct answer
    others expect a long run on sales pitch
    and it is hard to tell who prefers which

our people tend to be direct and to the point without too much BS
    the sales pitch stuff is generally already in the listing LOL

but the OP should be fine with what he purchased
    and I hope he enjoys his bike and is safe & happy

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    And we do

I have checked into this case
    and seen the e-mails

The OP was actually told exactly what I would of [with a bit less 'sales spin' than I might have included]

Problem is:
    some customers want a short direct answer
    others expect a long run on sales pitch
    and it is hard to tell who prefers which

our people tend to be direct and to the point without too much BS
    the sales pitch stuff is generally already in the listing LOL

but the OP should be fine with what he purchased
    and I hope he enjoys his bike and is safe & happy
    In any event, I tip my hat to you for coming on here and addressing this issue.

Now, if you can tell us 700DS owners why the rear shock comes with an 850lb spring that has to be replaced immediately... Seriously tho, I see Kind Shock sells higher end rear shocks in Europe for a decent price. If you have an inside line for upgrades for this poorly matched shock/spring that comes on the 700DS we all would appreciate the info. Thx.