mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Motobecane 700DS Front Derailleur Not working!

3 gears in the front, but will only shift to two. Tried every adjustment imaginable, but it won't work! (Deore)

And I just received this in the mail today. What a loss. Anyone else have this problem?>

mtbr member
    Disconnect the cable and see if you cant pull the derailleur in to the position you need. If you cant I would wager that its limiting screws are not set correct. Also when it is diconnected make sure that you can shift into all 3 gears, so you know its not a shifter problem.

Sounds to me that its just not adjusted correctly.

Video to help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6dr-1na0
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Bushwacker
    You need to tune it. Open this link and follow the instructions for front derailleur tune, then do the rear derailleur tune. Follow the steps exactly.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Take it to the shop you bought it from and they could help you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Dremer, I looked up the same youtube video!
    I tried to calibrate both limiting screws, as well as disconnecting the cable. When I tried to pull out the guide, it would not come out all the way, which gave me the impression that it is not able to guide the chain to the outermost gear.

Starkonian, I will give your link a shot! Thanks!

Glitz, I bought the bike online, and I don't want to pay the $100 shipping charge. Also, my local bike shops all seem to have bad reviews

Thanks for all your help guys!! I will let you know what happens later today.

mtbr member
    All is not lost my friend, not being able to get in the big ring is not the worst thing in the world. I only have a middle ring and I get by just fine. For the moment you can still ride it at least. Get a hold of Bikes Direct and see if they wont take the derailleur back in exchange for a functioning unit.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

S*it Happens!
    Did you try to back out the H screw just about all the way out. Until you cannot see any thread on the bottom of the screw from the other side and then try to pull the derailleur out with your hand… Just to check and see if it will move out that far.

If you’re able to move it just past the large chainring with your hand… Then I feel the problem might have something to do with the height or angle of the derailleur.

It’s such a simple part that I find it hard too believe that it’s defective. I’m not saying it’s you. I’m saying that because it’s only two screws.

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Moto Rider,
    I did try to pull the Derailleur all the way out, but it would not go past the 2nd gear. It would not reach the outermost gear (I've even try to unscrew all the limiting screws too).

The impression I'm getting is that the Derailleur just won't work with my bike. I will go over the links posted by the other members, and will post the outcome.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Can you post a up close picture of the derailleur at the furthest it will come out? Include the screws in the picture if possible.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The instructions in the link earlier should get you going. A few things:

1. Check to make sure the derailleur is aligned properly vertically and horizontally. It could have been shifted during shipping, in which case it will never adust correctly. The inside cage should be roughly perpindicular with the chainwheels.

2. Make sure your low adjustment screw is set right, if it is not it throws off all adjustements not just the low.

3. Make sure your shifter is in the low position prior to tightening down the cable. This sounds like a dumb suggestion but I have see it done wrong before.

4. If you are using the youtube video also keep in mind that the high and low limit screws are not all the same on every derailleur, so you can't just turn the one they show in the video. For instance the low screw may be on the outside or the inside depending on the design. Make sure you look for the small H and L to identify the correct screw.

A quick and easy way to see what the problem is: shift to the highest (largest) chainring. If your chain will not engage on the gear try to manually push the derailleur with your hand. Does it move farther out? If so then your high limit screw is not the problem, it has to be the low limit screw or not enough cable tension. If you cannot push the derailleur out any farther than you have the high limit screw improperly adjusted.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by krokem44
    Hey Moto Rider,
    I did try to pull the Derailleur all the way out, but it would not go past the 2nd gear. It would not reach the outermost gear (I've even try to unscrew all the limiting screws too).

The impression I'm getting is that the Derailleur just won't work with my bike. I will go over the links posted by the other members, and will post the outcome.

Thanks!

When you did this test was the cable still attached? If it was, Please, try too remove it and then try it one more time .
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    When you did this test was the cable still attached? If it was, Please, try too remove it and then try it one more time .
    Ditto.

If the cable was still attached it could have been limiting to movement due to improper installation.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

S*it Happens!
    Well, there are only three styles of front derailleur’s Top swing,( High Clamp), Bottom Swing (Low Clamp) and E- Type duel cable pull. Because all derailleur’s have to be standardize in travel of movement in order for them to work with all other components and frames. I just cant see why it wouldn’t work.

Shimano offers only 4 styles of this type Top Swing in Deore, FD-M511, FD-M531, FD- M591-3, FD-591-6 and they all have the same dimensional movement.

It works here...

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...=1269027427987

Shimano product list. Clink link above.
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 03-19-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hey guys, i just got a 700ds a couple days ago. bike seems to shift fine,just some fine tuning. the hardest part was setting the brskes

Bushwacker
    On the Aquila brakes, you have to make sure the outer pad doesn't have to travel to far to push the rotor agianst the inner pad. If it does, the caliper arm where the cable runs over will hit the adjustment housing preventing the outer pad from pushing the rotor all the way over to the inner pad. Extend the inner pad as close to the rotor as possible BEFORE adjusting the outer pad. Loosen the caliper bolts and make sure the caliper is straight and/or as close to the inner pad as possible, if nessesary.
    When adjusted properly, the pads never wear out. Pretty frick'n amazing since I do loooong down hills and they just don't seem to wear. I used to change my rim brake pads every month.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanx,it's about the same on the avid bb5's on mine

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I found the Answer!

SOLUTION: The outer edge of the chain guide on the front derailleur is slightly bent inward preventing the largest gear from engaging. I had the same problem on the same bike and came to this website for help, but didn't find the answer so spent a couple hours to figure it out. I figured I would register as a member and share my findings to help others…

If after countless attempts to adjust the front derailleur, you are still unable to get into the largest front gear #3, check for slightly bent metal. It is possibly something pushed the outer edge of the chain guide inward just slightly enough to cause problems. It doesn't have to be much. It looked straight to me until I looked at it really closely and noticed the front tip of the outer rail was very slightly bent inward. I uninstalled it for the millionth time, bent it outward with some pliers, and voilà! All three gears worked flawlessly the first time after setup!