mtbr member
    May 2008

?????Motobecane??????

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and do not know any one who has owned or been on a Motobecane. I've been doing a little reading on them but was looking for a help from folks who currently own and ride.
    I've been riding for a long time and want to go back to a hard tail bike and have been looking at a lot of 29ers. When it comes to Motobecanes and spending $1200-1400 on a bike what model would be best.
    Riding in the Texas where it is mostly technical. Thank you for any and all input.

MTBWOODLANDS

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a Motobecane Fly 9357 and I absoultely love it. Because you are buying the bike at basically wholesale prices you get a lot of bike for your money. The frames are made by Kinesis in Taiwan (Kinesis makes frames for a lot of the big name bike companies) and are very high quality. Obviously you can see from the component specs that they are top notch also. The only complaint I have with them is that they tend to spec their bikes so that they are light without keeping an eye on function. For instance the tires and tubes that came on my bike were paper thin, more like race day tires and not useable on a daily basis. Also the road cassettes are kind of silly. Though some people don't seem to have a problem with them. But once you factor in the price you definitely have a lot of money left over to buy tires, tubes, cassette etc. If you want a 29er the Motobecane Fantom Pro looks pretty sweet, and with your budget you would have lots left over to upgrade anything. Personally I prefer a 26 inch wheel due to the faster handling and tighter turning radius. For a 26 inch wheel the Fly Pro or 9357 are within your budget and believe me they are sweet and super light.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a Motobecane Fantom 29 and have been very satisfied. I have been documenting my experience in a blog at:
    http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride a Moto Fly Ti - yeah that's right, titanium - and it is sick. Same geometry as the Fly 9357, so I imagine you'll notice immediately it is a racing rig. As far as addressing concerns about an online store, no worries. My LBS was quite impressed with the quality of the frame and the components. Sure there a some minor changes you may choose to make, but it will never cost more or even the same as those Treks, GFs, Specializeds at your LBS.

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine14
    I ride a Moto Fly Ti - yeah that's right, titanium - and it is sick. Same geometry as the Fly 9357, so I imagine you'll notice immediately it is a racing rig. As far as addressing concerns about an online store, no worries. My LBS was quite impressed with the quality of the frame and the components. Sure there a some minor changes you may choose to make, but it will never cost more or even the same as those Treks, GFs, Specializeds at your LBS.
    So give us the name of the local bike shop. So we can ck references

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBWOODLANDS
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and do not know any one who has owned or been on a Motobecane. I've been doing a little reading on them but was looking for a help from folks who currently own and ride.
    I've been riding for a long time and want to go back to a hard tail bike and have been looking at a lot of 29ers. When it comes to Motobecanes and spending $1200-1400 on a bike what model would be best.
    Riding in the Texas where it is mostly technical. Thank you for any and all input.

MTBWOODLANDS
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...8dakota29.html
    Find 2007 model for under a grand. Satisfaction of buying from LBS. If anything goes wrong, you won't have to pay shipping to get it repaired. Mike keeps blaming UPS on flaws in shipping. If these were such quality bikes, I would gladly pay $40 more for shipping. But it is better to blame to cover your own faults

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tydydownthehighway
    So give us the name of the local bike shop. So we can ck references
    Big Mike at Rbikes.com (Richard's Bicycles) in Palos, IL...great guys that do custom builds for locals and overseas. Check out reviews of their shop on this website.

tydydown' I know you had a bad experience, but don't let that ruin all of the successful experiences others have had. At the end of the day, we just want to ride the best bike we can afford.

S*it Happens!
    Big Mike at Rbikes.com (Richard's Bicycles) in Palos, IL...great guys that do custom builds for locals and overseas. Check out reviews of their shop on this website.

If you know “Richard's Bicycles” then you know CAMBr, because Richard’s is a supporting bike shop of ours. I would like to meet you and see your bike.

Fred.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    If you know “Richard's Bicycles” then you know CAMBr, because Richard’s is a supporting bike shop of ours. I would like to meet you and see your bike.

Fred.
    Well you can go to the shop - they doing some major (maybe unneccessary) upgrades...custom wheelset, carbon lo-rise bars, xtr shifter/brakes, and several others. Besides that, I ride in Palos occassionally and I will definitely racing in the Meltdown this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider

Fred.
    Well you can go to the shop - they doing some major (maybe unneccessary) upgrades...custom wheelset, carbon lo-rise bars, xtr shifter/brakes, and several others. Besides that, I ride in Palos occassionally and I will definitely be racing in the Meltdown this year.

S*it Happens!
    Well you can go to the shop - they doing some major (maybe unneccessary) upgrades...custom wheelset, carbon lo-rise bars, xtr shifter/brakes, and several others. Besides that, I ride in Palos occassionally and I will definitely racing in the Meltdown this year.

I could go to the shop. However, who do you ride with at Palos?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006

tydydown' I know you had a bad experience, but don't let that ruin all of the successful experiences others have had. At the end of the day, we just want to ride the best bike we can afford.
    It's cool. I just got a Mike Pratt Voodoo doll. It must not be anatomycally correct. Oh wait, my bad, I forgot that Mike has no balls
    Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

hippymtnbkr
    Nov 2006

Just wanted to let you know that I contacted Rbikes.com (Richard's Bicycles) in Palos, IL. They said they wouldn't make a comment on Moto's because it is not a brand that they carry. I don't see why you guys keep writing untruths if these bikes are as good as you claim