_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Motobecane 300HT, 400HT, etc - Max Tire Size

I'm thinking of getting a Motobecane 300HT or 400HT and was wondering how big I can go on the tires. Since 300HT has the V-brakes and 400HT discs, I also wondered if the brake clearance would be a factor or if only the frame needs considering (AFAIK, frame on both is identical). IIRC, stock on the 300HT is a Kenda K850 26 x 1.95 and on 400HT, WTB Velociraptor 26 x 2.1 (or similar, if they vary per year).

I was considering something like Maxxis Holy Rollers, 26 x 2.5,
    http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...ail.asp?id=301 if they'll fit, or if they won't and anyone has a better suggestion based on the following criteria, thanks.

- Mostly unmaintained street riding. Some loose gavel, giant potholes, curb hopping, etc. Has to have at least enough tread to leave the street and take a fire road.

- Low rolling resistance is a plus but slicks are out due to gravel and possibility of washed out roads, and durability matters more (I'm looking for a wide tire I can beat the he!! out of, a refined urban assault type not racer).

- Some extra cushioning if possible, but they'll probably be ran at 30 PSI or more, and clearance to account for mud should not be a factor, they won't be used in mud.

- Long tread life, thick rubber matters more than weight reduction. Puncture resistance is desirable but not as high a priority as street fitness and impact tolerance. Freestyle meets smooth & quiet?

- Need not be cheapest thing out there but under $30 per would be nice.

- I've had BMX and road bikes in past years but haven't gotten this hands-on for over a decade, please have patience when I don't understand something you'd write as I probably need some things explained more than the typical forum member might.

Thanks.

EDIT: Considering my "light" use, I'm leaning towards the 300HT w/ V-brakes, feedback from owners of this (or equivalent Giant bikes with the Tektro V linear brakes) would be most appreciated, but if it becomes necessary to go with disc brakes to overcome a certain tire size limitation, please do share your experiences in that limit, as well as whether you feel disc brakes are worth the cost for my usage.
    Last edited by _I_; 06-22-2007 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    why do you HAVE to get 2.5's? that's a really wide tire, and is going to be quite heavy too....i really think you should stick with a 2.2-2.3 at the most....unless you ride quite a bit of soft sand, then that's the only reason you should go that wide...even then, i ride 1.8's and i dont have THAT much trouble in soft sand over the 2.2's i used to have....

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm looking for a really wide tire, the weight is not a concern, in fact I want the heaviest tire possible towards the goal, as this is not about speed, or peddling effort, it's about the amount of material as it applies to durability in extremes, in addition to the softer ride afforded by having a larger volume of air under me, and amount of tread before it wears out.

I am not racing and do not care about speed penalty or effort. I do care about tire noise, vibration fron knobby tires, grip in a mixed poor-road scenario, and ultimate durability. Think urban "tank" not bike.

I don't care about sand, but for example, suppose I wanted to ride full speed into a 90' curb. Well dont just suppose it, I will be doing that, and if I fail to hop it enough I'll be replacing rims because that's what it will take to meet the goal. I want the most durable tire possible without any concessions. I realize these may not be the typical criteria used by many selecting tires, which is why I listed my unusual needs.

I don't "have" to have 2.5", though on reflection I think the Holy Rollers might be 2.4, but show me a tougher tire for extreme situations. In other words, thinner tires offer nothing I care about or want, only detriments... unless you know something I don't, which is quite possible, but I see no reason to stick with a thinner tire until the particular bike requires it.

I'd considered other tires like Continental Town & Country (2.1") which seems a smoother straight line but a little worse for durability and off-road trail traction. Another candidate was Forte Versa-Trac (Kevlar) but the tread looks more aggressive than I need w/o other benefit besides a lot of thick rubber on the road. Michelin Transworld looked good too, but the opposite extreme having really poor off-road traction and only 1.95", which can't bode well for impact/jumps.

"IF" I really couldn't fit anything wider than 2.1 on these bikes I'd probably settle for a Continental Traffic / 2.1", but I still feel that ultimately towards my goal, the primary criteria is width, so long as it's not a slick or mountain-level knobby.
    Last edited by _I_; 06-22-2007 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    i dunno man, to each his own...but i do know that you'll prob come out ahead and "tougher" with a kevlar beaded/carchas tire, with heavy duty tubes...as far as noise and long tread wear....i really cant help you....it seems like you're trying to find a tire that will make up for having less than stellar components like what's on a 300ht...if you want massive tires, you need this bike http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...ley/index.html .....that's the only way to go....4" wide tires, and will prob last you a life time.....of getting there slowly....

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't understand what you mean about "less than stellar components", why would I need different components for on-road use, but withg bike that (by the picture) has tires no more suitable to the goal? To me (and I could be wrong), this is the opposite of what I'm wanting, a hard front bike with tires unsuited to road use, BUT it does demonstrate that particular bike has a lot of clearance, which is essentially what I'm trying to determine with other bikes like 300HT.

I must confess I'm not going to care much about components on a bike meant mostly for road use. I don't want to criticize fellow riders, but some components others turn up their nose at, have seemed, and served, me fine w/o issue. I feel a soft front suspension may be useful, but still a hardtail. What you've pictured, that it accepts wide tires is great, but frankly I don't see a reason to pay more for that frame and fork, I'm more in need of data about what the aforementioned bikes can support the max tire size possible w/o concerns for things like mud clearance which won't be a factor.

Since my primary bike right now is just a freebie piece of junk that I can't bear to ride at all, I suppose if I don't get answer soon I'll just get one of the proposed bikes and then measure it for myself. It's not like I feel the Continental Traffic won't work, I just thought that given the resources of this forum, more possibilites might be revealed.

mtbr member
    ok, to settle this once and for all, a 2.5 will fit, but dont expect ANY clearance....not just for mud, but WHEN your wheels goes out of true, you wont be able to even ride it home....also, (if you go with the 300ht) expect to have to take your v-brake pads OFF when you go to remove or install the tire, b/c just un-doing the noodle wont be enough to squeeze that tire through the brakes....debate solved...GOOD LUCK!

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's a good point you make about having to take the V-brake pads off to remove a tire. Now I'm considering either the 400HT, putting a disc in front on 300HT, or sticking with a slimmer rear tire (since I only need one of the two tires removable for transportation purposes).
    Last edited by _I_; 06-23-2007 at 11:12 PM.

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As an update, instead of 300/400HT I got a Target/ Forge Sawback 5xx and though I realize actual tire width may vary from specs, [EDIT] it looks like 2.4" Holy Rollers will barely fit, the clearance being limited first by the frame. [/EDIT] Thanks to snobrder5 for pointing out the V-brake pad clearance factor, as this bike has discs.

I've ordered the Holy Rollers during a recent Performance Bike sale but it looks like they goofed and have sent the order to some other customer in their database (I may be wrong, will update what happens there and when I have them mounted, that they do/don't fit).

Edit2: There's nowhere close to any clearance problems with the 2.4" Holy Rollers, the 5xx with it's disc brakes could take a roughly 3" tire before it became a problem.
    Last edited by _I_; 07-17-2007 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^^ i concur, the 5xx blows motobecane and ibex out of the water in the 300-400 category.

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yes I'm happy with the 5xx, but there's still a side of me that wanted a Giant Yukon, even though it costs more the frame looks cooler. The Boulder SE I scrutinized at the LBS looked "cooler" too, but with the downgraded components and no disc (front wheel at least, I think I could've gotten by fine with at least rear, if not front V-brakes if it weren't for the hassles of pulling the front tire for transportation purposes).

Looking "cooler" doesn't mean much when actually riding though, I just want my !@#$% Performance bike order w/o all this extra nonsense of figuring out why it seems they're shipping my order to someone else. THEN if I can get the tires I wanted, or kill the order and reorder elsewhere, I'll have what I aimed for.