Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Motobecane 29+ models?

I have heard the rumblings... anyone have any links to pics of the forthcoming 29+ bikes? Will they be alloy or steel? Discuss!
    "I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all outta bubblegum".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Want 29+ Ti, Want, want. Been looking at Carver, but lots of $$$$

mtbr member
    I posted the question asking if 29+ wheelsets would fit on their Night Train or Sturgis models on the BD Fat Bike thread in the forum as well as on their FB page with no response. Still waiting myself.

mtbr member
    Chris from BD said that the 29+ is coming March 2015......sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They have it on the DB website, bummer they don't have a 10spd model, maybe they are going to see how people respond to the cheaper one. If they made the 29er + in the Ti and Carbon flavor they would out most of the big names in the business. I'm lurking over here getting some information on some of the fat bikes shopping for the wife, I must say they have some nice ones. DB has had the fly as their main 29er flagship for a long time now and this 29er + thing is going to explode because traction is king and so is simplicity.

mtbr member
    The Night Train and Sturgis will fit a 29+ and I'm liking those right now. BUT, a nice STEEL model would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Also, guys I just seen a post on their FB. Page saying that they are going to be coming out with a 2x10 much nicer 29er + bike.

mtbr member
    Deleted.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 12-07-2014 at 03:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Last edited by PDKL45; 12-07-2014 at 02:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm considering the Motobecane 29+SS, but I see some issues which you would expect for the price.
    First, the wheels seem to be 35mm inner width (according to recent post here), which may be okay for 2.4 width 29er tires (a good thing), but I don't know how good they would be with the delivered 3" and especially the supposed 4" tires (according to their site). Thoughts?
    Secondly, the rims are not drilled out to save weight, so they could be quite heavy (hard to say). Third, both wheels are bolt on. Fourth, the cranks are spline. Fifth, rigid fork with 29er tires could be teeth chattering, but that's a personal preference in some ways.

If someone has one of these, please divulge details.

I sent an email to bikesdirect, and first they didn't answer my question about general tire availability, and then he assumed I knew nothing and sent a link to the Surly Krampus website, so I could get educated on the 29+ movement. Frankly, I don't care about trends and just want to know if I can find tires at reasonable prices. If the 35mm inner width is true, I would think you could run a 2.4 or similar 29er tire. It would have a square-er profile, some of these tires were meant for wider downhill rims in the ~25mm range so maybe you could get away with it. Thoughts?

Awesome AM ride with a fork, or just a really weak fat bike?
    Last edited by diylighter; 01-15-2015 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update: Email from BD says 32mm internal width on those rims. Also, the ability to run up to 4" tires refers to 26x4". I have not found a 700 x 4" tire anyway.
    Last edited by diylighter; 02-17-2015 at 05:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update#2: I ordered one like this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...+ss-gry-21.jpg

After riding the stock tires, I will probably try some Kenda Nevagal 2.3's that I have lying around. May go tubeless

mtbr member
    Looks like the Gravity Bullseye Monster can clear a 29+ tire, at least on a Blunt 35mm rim:

Then you don't have to deal with the silly long 480mm chainstays of their 29+ model.
    WTB: Whaddya got in a L or XL steel 29er frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Then you don't have to deal with the silly long 480mm chainstays of their 29+ model.[/QUOTE]

Good point but I don't mind the long chain stays as I bought the 29+ for climbing capabilities in slick conditions. Spring will be a good test here in the Northeast. I hope it will be ideal in the mud. In snow the 3" tires are decent but there can be ice underneath here with freeze-thaw. Considering some 29er ice spikers but rims may be too wide for 2.35 tires(?).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Diylighter-according to the website, the geometry on the single speed and the geared versions are the same. I am considering the geared version. How is this bike at mud riding? I ride an old steel, rigid mountain bike from the 90's that I am perfectly happy with except for riding in the mud. I live very near some old logging roads which turn into clinging clay mud when they are wet. I don't mind losing traction so much as I mind the clog of mud at the fork, chainstay and seat stay. It is one thing to push a bike up a slippery climb. It is another to have to drag it down the other side. Have you had yours out in the mud much? If so, does it collect mud like in the picture below?

This is what I would like to avoid.

Motobecane 29+ models?-muddy-mud-mud.jpg

mtbr member
    Just to follow up that a 29+ tire does indeed work on the Bullseye Monster:

It's a little amazing how much better the bikes feels with the big wheels in place of the fat tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma? Yes Soma! View Post
    Diylighter-according to the website, the geometry on the single speed and the geared versions are the same. I am considering the geared version. How is this bike at mud riding? I ride an old steel, rigid mountain bike from the 90's that I am perfectly happy with except for riding in the mud. I live very near some old logging roads which turn into clinging clay mud when they are wet. I don't mind losing traction so much as I mind the clog of mud at the fork, chainstay and seat stay. It is one thing to push a bike up a slippery climb. It is another to have to drag it down the other side. Have you had yours out in the mud much? If so, does it collect mud like in the picture below?
    Lol I have a similar pic of my Giant Anthem x29 from the late Fall, and it's part of the reason I bought the SS 29+. I haven't had the fantom in mud yet but given the claim that it can support 4" tires, I'm sure it will be fine especially with wide 29er tires.

So far the brakes are lame even compared to old juicy 5s and the hubs don't even have cartridge bearings. Gearing is way too high but for $20 got 8 spd chain and 21t cog @ LBS. Other than that and considering the price I'm happy so far - but really looking forward to mud test.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Seat boy, how much clearance is there between the tires and the frame/fork? Is there plenty of space for mud to pass through?

Edit-I noticed your pics above but more are always welcome

mtbr member
    It's somewhat tight, worse than a typical bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Soma? Yes Soma! View Post
    Seat boy, how much clearance is there between the tires and the frame/fork? Is there plenty of space for mud to pass through?

Edit-I noticed your pics above but more are always welcome

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Stock 29+:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane 29+ models?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by diylighter View Post
    Stock 29+:
    This looks like good clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's a little amazing how much better the bikes feels with the big wheels in place of the fat tires.
    seat_boy: I'm curious how the traction compares between the two tire sizes. Are you running a Surly Knard 3" vs a Vee Rubber 4"? Have you had them both out in snow and mud? I was thinking about buying some fat bike wheels and doing the inverse of what you did, but then I heard the Vee 4" were terrible. FYI, the stock Gravity Vidar 3" tires are decent so far when run low PSI but I would think the 4" float better. These, like a 29er vs 26 have a longer, narrowerer contact patch that I'm guessing is better in some situations and worse in others. Thanks

EX-RoadLice
    Fork looks fine,
    How about that rear chainstay yoke? It looked like it was touching in the 3rd pic.
    I am seriously thinking about this combo.
    How does it ride?

unrooted
    Any news on either a higher end 29+ or just a frame/fork combo?
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    No problem with the chainstay clearance, I tried to take this picture straight on:

I like the 29 Plus setup so far (much better than the stock fat wheels, in fact), though I haven't had any dry trails to try it out at a faster pace. I'm running relatively narrow rims (the $100 Fattie Slims wheelset) for such a wide tire, so tire squirm may be an issue at speed. Hasn't been an issue so far, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailice View Post
    Fork looks fine,
    How about that rear chainstay yoke? It looked like it was touching in the 3rd pic.
    I am seriously thinking about this combo.
    How does it ride?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast