mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Motobecan 600HT or Windsor Cliff 4900

I am new to MTBR and apologize if this question has been asked on this forum already. I did search before I posted but couldn't find this exact question. I want to thank everyone who shares information on here about Bikesdirect and thier product lines. I will be making a purchase from them but not totally sure on what model is best for me. I am not afraid to purchase before riding as I know that both of these bikes are much better than any at a local shop for the same money. I do not want to spend more than $500 as I am somewhat new to the sport and have other summer interests as well. I do, however, want the best bike for my money. In comparing these two bikes, they seem very similar. The major difference I see is the Dart 2 on the Windsor as well as a better front derailer. I would think that the Windsor would be priced quite a bit higher than the Moto but it is actually the opposite. WHY? Is the Moto a considerably better frame or is it because the Moto's are better known? Or is there something else I'm missing here. I would appreciate any imput on frame quality, weight difference, and any major component difference I should be looking at. Thank you.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rdex99
    I am new to MTBR and apologize if this question has been asked on this forum already. I did search before I posted but couldn't find this exact question. I want to thank everyone who shares information on here about Bikesdirect and thier product lines. I will be making a purchase from them but not totally sure on what model is best for me. I am not afraid to purchase before riding as I know that both of these bikes are much better than any at a local shop for the same money. I do not want to spend more than $500 as I am somewhat new to the sport and have other summer interests as well. I do, however, want the best bike for my money. In comparing these two bikes, they seem very similar. The major difference I see is the Dart 2 on the Windsor as well as a better front derailer. I would think that the Windsor would be priced quite a bit higher than the Moto but it is actually the opposite. WHY? Is the Moto a considerably better frame or is it because the Moto's are better known? Or is there something else I'm missing here. I would appreciate any imput on frame quality, weight difference, and any major component difference I should be looking at. Thank you.

The Cliff 4900 is currently a deal; as we have not taken to price increase on that bike that everyone took in September --- It's price will be moved up Jan 1

Both bikes are a good deal - but at today's prices I would clearly pick the Cliff 4900

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have been very pleased with my Fantom 29. I know it is over your $500 limit but it is a 29er. If you are taller that may be better for you.

Anyway my experience with bikesdirect and the Fantom 29 have been good. I have documenting my experience in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/