Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: airframepapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20

    Moto Sticker removal methods?

    I was just wondering if anyone has tried to remove the Moto stickers from the frame and if so with what kind of luck? I personally love the raised emblem on the front but the large top and down tube stickers I can do with out. Im thinking about doing it on my soon to be arriving Ti 29er and didnt wanna take any "unnecessary" chances. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    184
    Mine are under the clearcoat.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6
    Keep in mind I think it voids the warranty to remove the decals...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: airframepapi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the input on the warranty ill defiantly keep that in mind.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474
    For the sake of science, I removed one of the down tube stickers last night. Mine was applied directly over the satin black paint, no clearcoat to deal with.

    It took about two minutes and a fingernail to peel off. The glue is a bit more trouble to remove. I started with 3M General Adhesive Remover and a heavy rag. This removed the bulk of it.
    A ghost image of the sticker remains and with more rubbing and some lacquer thinner, it seems to come off.
    A heat gun was no help.

    _Lule

  6. #6
    Just Gettin Started
    Reputation: moegocanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43
    my stickers were under the clearcoat as well and I used one of those plastic scraper things my dad has to get em off. results were ok. I'm getting it powdercoated pretty soon anyways.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Just removed mine with nail polish remover..

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17

    Fly Ti Decal Removal

    I removed the MOTOBECANE decals off of the downtube of my Fly Ti last night, and it was a pretty big PITA!

    it took me about 2 hours, a bag of cotton balls and a few ounces of fingernail polish remover and an old credit card to help scrape stuff off. I may have lost a few thousand brain cells from the fumes!

    you have to rub the decals for a while w/ the polish remover before they start to rub off. I tried a hair dryer, but it didn't seem to help much. I also tried to score the decals w/ a razor blade, but I don't think that was much help either, and wasn't worth the risk of adding scratches to the frame.

    I recommend tying a rag or a few paper towels on the down tube below the decals to soak up the finger nail polish and keep it from heading to your bottom bracket.

  9. #9
    No-Brakes Cougar
    Reputation: Gary the No-Trash Cougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,143
    On my flat black Fantom 29 the logos appear to have been painted on, which is just fine with me. At least they don't look like tacky decals!

    For dealing with the glue, I recommend using vegetable oil. This will break up the glue and make it easy to remove. For the greasy residue, try Simple Green.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

  10. #10
    I ride bicycles sometimes
    Reputation: Fuze911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    209
    ^ I have the flat black fantom 29 too. I can confirm that its painted on. I was kinda glad it wasn't a sticker. It looks like a quality paint job.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by cconely
    I removed the MOTOBECANE decals off of the downtube of my Fly Ti last night, and it was a pretty big PITA!

    it took me about 2 hours, a bag of cotton balls and a few ounces of fingernail polish remover and an old credit card to help scrape stuff off. I may have lost a few thousand brain cells from the fumes!

    you have to rub the decals for a while w/ the polish remover before they start to rub off. I tried a hair dryer, but it didn't seem to help much. I also tried to score the decals w/ a razor blade, but I don't think that was much help either, and wasn't worth the risk of adding scratches to the frame.

    I recommend tying a rag or a few paper towels on the down tube below the decals to soak up the finger nail polish and keep it from heading to your bottom bracket.
    Titanium is an absolutely *gorgeous* metal, functionally and aethestically... I took my decals off to let as much of that beautiful lustre and sheen come through.

    My experience with the Fly Team Ti, which took about 30 minutes, including set-time for the Citristrip, and which I did OUTSIDE (with a respirator, to boot - yes, I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff, even if the solvent is considered a "safer" product, whatever that means):

    Decals: Citristrip - which has a nice stays-where-you-put-it gel consistency, so unless you're sloppy, it's not going to be leaching all over the tubes and into places you absolutely don't want a highly effective solvent getting into. Follow the label directions, and the decals will wipe right off without the need for any abrasion or (yikes!) scraping. If you do the removal with the cables/housings/hoses still on, make sure you mask or, better yet, simply don't get the Citristrip on the housings as it will soften/dissolve them. You may need to repeat the application of Citristrip once or twice, depending on how thick you make each application and how long you leave it on to dissolve. To remove the "ghosting" of the letters that might persist after the macro removal, dab some Citristrip on a soft rag and keep rubbing the outlines with even pressure in a circular motion.

    Head tube badge: Blow a hairdryer on the headbadge so it loosens up the adhesive, and, when sufficiently soft/loosened, pull it off. You may need to "tease" the badge off, by which I mean you lift the badge off a little at a time, apply heat, lift, apply heat, lift, etc. Be careful to not burn yourself as the headbadge and surrounding area will get very hot. Any adhesive gum remaining on the headtube after removal of the badge can be removed with Citristrip, Goo-Gone, or similar solvents.

    To deactivate Citristrip residue and for general cleanup, soak a rag with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and wipe down areas that were in contact with the Citristrip.

    Separate but related: I wash my bikes with Ice Wax (or is Ice Wash? - I think Armor All makes it) car wash. Bought the big jug at Costco. I find it works great at removing dirt and grime with its detergency, and the protective thin wax it leaves behind makes the bikes (esp the Fly Ti) sparkle, and must help to slough off mud, grime, and sweat, certainly make subsequent washings more effective. However, it will not re-lube the chain, derailleur, sliders, and pivots for you, and it will not prevent damage done by a pressure washer used incorrectly, so all the other do's and don't-do's associated with prudent bicycle cleaning and upkeep still apply.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim FtCO
    Titanium is an absolutely *gorgeous* metal, functionally and aethestically... I took my decals off to let as much of that beautiful lustre and sheen come through.

    My experience with the Fly Team Ti, which took about 30 minutes, including set-time for the Citristrip, and which I did OUTSIDE (with a respirator, to boot - yes, I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff, even if the solvent is considered a "safer" product, whatever that means):

    Decals: Citristrip - which has a nice stays-where-you-put-it gel consistency, so unless you're sloppy, it's not going to be leaching all over the tubes and into places you absolutely don't want a highly effective solvent getting into. Follow the label directions, and the decals will wipe right off without the need for any abrasion or (yikes!) scraping. If you do the removal with the cables/housings/hoses still on, make sure you mask or, better yet, simply don't get the Citristrip on the housings as it will soften/dissolve them. You may need to repeat the application of Citristrip once or twice, depending on how thick you make each application and how long you leave it on to dissolve. To remove the "ghosting" of the letters that might persist after the macro removal, dab some Citristrip on a soft rag and keep rubbing the outlines with even pressure in a circular motion.

    Head tube badge: Blow a hairdryer on the headbadge so it loosens up the adhesive, and, when sufficiently soft/loosened, pull it off. You may need to "tease" the badge off, by which I mean you lift the badge off a little at a time, apply heat, lift, apply heat, lift, etc. Be careful to not burn yourself as the headbadge and surrounding area will get very hot. Any adhesive gum remaining on the headtube after removal of the badge can be removed with Citristrip, Goo-Gone, or similar solvents.

    To deactivate Citristrip residue and for general cleanup, soak a rag with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and wipe down areas that were in contact with the Citristrip.

    Separate but related: I wash my bikes with Ice Wax (or is Ice Wash? - I think Armor All makes it) car wash. Bought the big jug at Costco. I find it works great at removing dirt and grime with its detergency, and the protective thin wax it leaves behind makes the bikes (esp the Fly Ti) sparkle, and must help to slough off mud, grime, and sweat, certainly make subsequent washings more effective. However, it will not re-lube the chain, derailleur, sliders, and pivots for you, and it will not prevent damage done by a pressure washer used incorrectly, so all the other do's and don't-do's associated with prudent bicycle cleaning and upkeep still apply.

    Nice write up! If I decide to remove the rest of the decals, I definitely come back and try some Citristrip.

    Another option if you want to use something you might have lying around the house is to use 'Goof Off' (not Goo Gone...that' stuff is okay, but not great) to get off decals (rubbing will be required) and residual goop. seems to work quite a bit better than the finger nail polish remover I used initially.

    Also: don't use anything to scrape if you can avoid it. looking at my frame, there are some small scratches on the frame from just using a plastic card to help get stuff off. Nothing very noticeable w/o very close inspection, but learn from my mistake....don't do it!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by cconely
    Also: don't use anything to scrape if you can avoid it. looking at my frame, there are some small scratches on the frame from just using a plastic card to help get stuff off. Nothing very noticeable w/o very close inspection, but learn from my mistake....don't do it!
    On scraping: In a word, don't.

    As for the scratches that are there, you might try buffing them out with fine-grit Scotchbrite.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by cconely
    I removed the MOTOBECANE decals off of the downtube of my Fly Ti last night, and it was a pretty big PITA!

    it took me about 2 hours, a bag of cotton balls and a few ounces of fingernail polish remover and an old credit card to help scrape stuff off. I may have lost a few thousand brain cells from the fumes!

    you have to rub the decals for a while w/ the polish remover before they start to rub off. I tried a hair dryer, but it didn't seem to help much. I also tried to score the decals w/ a razor blade, but I don't think that was much help either, and wasn't worth the risk of adding scratches to the frame.

    I recommend tying a rag or a few paper towels on the down tube below the decals to soak up the finger nail polish and keep it from heading to your bottom bracket.
    You're working too hard. I removed mine in 20 min. using a Scotchbright pad (the kind with a sponge on the back) and carb cleaner. After buffing off all the sticker residue, I gave it one good scrub with a clean pad. Looks "titanium-y". No sticker ghosting or scratching, either.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    19
    Does your motobecane ti have clear coat over the decals? If so, can you tell where you used the Citristrip? (In the right light?)
    I'm interested to hear since I just purchased a moto ti cross and plan on removing the decals. I'd also like to remove the decals of my brushed aluminum mtbike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    48
    guys go to a auto body supply shop. get a pinstripe remover or some call it a "mark remover". its a rubber wheel that goes on a drill and is used to remove pinstripes from cars. works awesome for decals also like where the car dealers put their names on the trunk lids etc. its maybe 10-15$ and you need a drill. will NOT mark up the frame and no chemicals.

    when removing the badge if any tape or gum is left hit an autozone and get meguire's YELLOW WAX. use a rag and dab it kinda heavy over the residue and let sit for a minute then use a bit more and rub the residue right off it will come off in seconds and again not damage the frame.

    for the fine scratches what you need to do is find a scotch pad or wet sand paper that closely matches the factory "brushed" finish. test it out on a small piece of scrap metal. i usually like the standard green scotch pads. they work pretty well. just dont use anything to fine because if you rub it to much you may end up starting to polish the metal which will look worse imo than some fine scratches..

    a lot of times easy off oven cleaner can also be used without damage to the aluminum or ti.. use a small amount spray it on and wrap it with foil for a minute and remove this is a way to remove anodize also from aluminum..

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by zfactor
    guys go to a auto body supply shop. get a pinstripe remover or some call it a "mark remover". its a rubber wheel that goes on a drill and is used to remove pinstripes from cars. works awesome for decals also like where the car dealers put their names on the trunk lids etc. its maybe 10-15$ and you need a drill. will NOT mark up the frame and no chemicals.

    when removing the badge if any tape or gum is left hit an autozone and get meguire's YELLOW WAX. use a rag and dab it kinda heavy over the residue and let sit for a minute then use a bit more and rub the residue right off it will come off in seconds and again not damage the frame.

    for the fine scratches what you need to do is find a scotch pad or wet sand paper that closely matches the factory "brushed" finish. test it out on a small piece of scrap metal. i usually like the standard green scotch pads. they work pretty well. just dont use anything to fine because if you rub it to much you may end up starting to polish the metal which will look worse imo than some fine scratches..

    a lot of times easy off oven cleaner can also be used without damage to the aluminum or ti.. use a small amount spray it on and wrap it with foil for a minute and remove this is a way to remove anodize also from aluminum..
    I've thought about using one of these rubber wheels. Do you know if you first need to remove the clearcoat before using the wheel on the decal?

  18. #18
    S*it Happens!
    Reputation: Moto Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    I realize people that buy from BD are just looking for a good price and couldn't care less about the brand name. That's last thing on their mind or only thing on their mind is...how to remove it. LOL!

    Still, I can't help but wonder. What do you guys tell people when they say. "Nice bike...what's the make?"
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    48
    the rubber wheel should still work okay it just may take a little longer. the clearcoat on these bikes as well as most out there is not very thick. i used to paint cars and i can for sure say they dont use much on most bikes

  20. #20
    Bushwacker
    Reputation: Starkonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    I realize people that buy from BD are just looking for a good price and couldn't care less about the brand name. That's last thing on their mind or only thing on their mind is...how to remove it. LOL!

    Still, I can't help but wonder. What do you guys tell people when they say. "Nice bike...what's the make?"
    I like the stealth, black look but a side benefit is to watch the bike snobs scratch their heads trying to figure out the manufacturer. If someone asks, I tell them.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    19
    ...
    Last edited by CodyWy; 06-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I like the stealth, black look but a side benefit is to watch the bike snobs scratch their heads trying to figure out the manufacturer. If someone asks, I tell them.
    Mine are all missing. I prefer the unstickered look. Few people ask though.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slee_Stack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    488
    I don't want to mung up the finish, so I have no interest in even attempting such a thing. Obviously I don't care about the brand name which is why I bought a Moto, so the stickers don't bother me either.

    I did remove the green warning stickers, but that only takes a fingernail.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CarolinaLL6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    ...Still, I can't help but wonder. What do you guys tell people when they say. "Nice bike...what's the make?"
    When this thread started I kind of wondered the same thing.

    As far as this site goes it was the Moto haters that helped me come up with my avatar.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    I realize people that buy from BD are just looking for a good price and couldn't care less about the brand name. That's last thing on their mind or only thing on their mind is...how to remove it. LOL!

    Still, I can't help but wonder. What do you guys tell people when they say. "Nice bike...what's the make?"
    As I posted before, I took the decals off because I think the look of Ti is just gorgeous - the more of it, the better.

    As a point of reference on brand consciousness, I also have a [bike-shop level] Mongoose that I actually appreciate when people inquire about (usually cynically - "What are you doing on a Mongoose?!") to have the opportunity to clarify the differentiation in build level and distribution of the Mongoose line.

    When people ask what kind of bike that is - usually because the sparkle of the Ti and the blingyness of the build catches their eye - I tell them unabashedly, "It's an internet special! A Motobecane! She's been real good to me!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •