Thread: Moto Headsets

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Moto Headsets

Hey guys! I got a Fantom 29 X7 about a month ago and I noticed that the fork had wiggle room as I rode, even though I had tightened it up. I unscrewed it and realized that the spacer was not pushing into the headset properly and there was a gap where I could see the bearings. I'm a bit concerned about it not being sealed correctly (dirt and water), but I doubt it's worth worrying about since it's just a stock component.

Would you guys recommend replacing ASAP? I had wanted to buy a new stem and bars and now a headset I guess. Any recs on a good cheap headset?

I've considered buying a kit on eBay but can't find much info on Venzo (Search for "Mountain Bike Downhill Handlebar Kit Grips Stem"). They do make some nice looking bikes but are mostly a foreign brand. Thoughts? Thanks.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    I'm not sure of that headset already installed (if it's just junky like that and has play) but you can find the Crane creek s3 headsets for pretty cheap nowadays since they were replaced by the 40series.

Cane Creek S-3 Headset > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA

Otherwise you might want to have a lbs take a look at it because it might just be a simple fix.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm