mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR

Ok folks, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and so far I have not been able to find a better deal for the price.

My budget was 2k but I'm willing to add a few hundred if the deal is nice. And so far I have not been able to find anything that can rival the 2013 FS 29er's price for parts. Truth be told, I don't really know much about parts, but from the review they seems to be pretty good.

So I am having a pickle of a time deciding between the SRAM vs. XTR systems. I currently have a Trek 4300 without discs. I loved it until I was told I had spinal arthritis and I started to ride more regularly. I can still ride hard, but at about 2 hours I'm ready to call it, but with a FS I'm sure I can push that quite a bit more. That hard tail is like a jackhammer on my back.

So if anyone has any experience with the 2013 or 2012 models of this bike and or these derailleurs I would love some feedback. Here are the specs, not to mention I love the bike in black but silver is not a deal killer. Here are the specs, thanks in advanced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR-bikes2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I received the SRAM XO version a couple weeks back. I love the bike! The shifts are quick an crisp.
    Last edited by Koollata; 10-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Koollata View Post
    I received the SRAM XO version a couple weeks back. I love the bike! The shifts are quick an crisp.
    awesome thanks for the info. Im leaning on that one myself. grats

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey bud,

I just saw the image of your bike on the post your pics thread. It looks sweeeeeeeet.

I wanted to ask you for a huge favor. I keep hearing that the SRAM shifters are thumb thumb and im not quite sure what that means. Would it be too much to ask for a image of the shifters, and how do you like them?

Also which size did you get>? I'm 5'11" and was thinking medium, but the chart is very general...and suggests a size smaller for the 29er's compared to 26er's

Thanks
    Last edited by wolv275; 10-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5'10" and ordered the Medium size (47cm). The fit is perfect for me. I never cut the seat post and I ride with it at the shortest height. I'm not positive but I would assume that the thumb thumb refers that you up shift or down shift you use your thumbs. The XO shifters can be adjusted to how you prefer. Sometimes I wrap my index finger around the opposite side of the handle bar from my thumb so that I can use my index finger and thumb to shift.

Let me know if you would like me to retake any images or take a picture of any other detail of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR-20121010_130223.jpg  

Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR-20121010_130240.jpg  

Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR-20121010_130250.jpg  

Which Moto FS 29er (3x10) SRAM vs. XTR-20121010_130258.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5'10" and ordered the Medium size (47cm). The fit is perfect for me. I never cut the seat post and I ride with it at the shortest height. I'm not positive but I would assume that the thumb thumb refers that you up shift or down shift you use your thumbs. The XO shifters can be adjusted to how you prefer. Sometimes I wrap my index finger around the opposite side of the handle bar from my thumb so that I can use my index finger and thumb to shift.

Let me know if you would like me to retake any images or take a picture of any other detail of the bike.
    You rock man, thanks for the pics and info. just what i needed to know.

Go Speed Racer
    I am considering this as my next ride. Please most more pictures and your experiences with the bike! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm not gonna right up a full review about the bike (there are plenty of others already), but I have no complaints about the bike. I don't think you can find a new bike this well equipped at this price. I test rode many bikes before I purchased mine. The ride for me was very similar to a KHS Flagstaff.

The perfessor
    just built my bike from scratch and the XT drivetrain is on the way - shifters, derailleurs, XTR chain, etc......total cost of my build is around $1,300..........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Depends on the price difference... if it's the same price, XTR of course for the resale value alone...

SRAM supposedly require a bit less attention than Shimano in upkeep,

Otherwise they are both excellent choices, If had to pay few hundred extra for XTR then choose XO.

I chose XO over XTR even though the latter would cost me 100 buck more....

although I think I really wish I would have picked the 2x10 system ;(

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post

although I think I really wish I would have picked the 2x10 system ;(
    Why not convert the current one to 2x10? I saw another thread floating around here where someone took off the large chain ring and replaced it with a guard. I'm debating on this myself, but I really like having the large chain ring when I'm on pavement.

mtbr member
    Why not convert the current one to 2x10? I saw another thread floating around here where someone took off the large chain ring and replaced it with a guard. I'm debating on this myself, but I really like having the large chain ring when I'm on pavement.
    Exactly.

but if I put on bigger chainrings, then yeaaaaaah

My Brain Hurts!
    Those are the two bikes I am considering if I go full suspension 29er! I am leaning to the SRAM bike but am used to the shifters from Shimano. Though I am sure I can make the adjustment quick enough

I am unsure about the Dyna Sys system and the clutch thingy. First off it is a new system. Sometimes that can equal problems. Second I think I dropped a chain 2x in my life! So why worry about a new system to prevent what does not happen to me? Though this would be my first mountain bike with 10 gears in the rear....and 2x10 is very interesting to me as well. after all 2X10 was on all my road bikes for a very long time.

I like to keep things as simple and problem free as possible, that is also why hard tails are still in the equation too!
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 11-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    if you have XO wouldn't converting to 2x10 require a new left 2 speed shifter where as the XTR shifters are 2X10 and 3X10 compatble? would make sense to go with xtr if you plan on doing a 2x10 setup as it would save you a couple of bucks in that case

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan.gurc View Post
    if you have XO wouldn't converting to 2x10 require a new left 2 speed shifter where as the XTR shifters are 2X10 and 3X10 compatble? would make sense to go with xtr if you plan on doing a 2x10 setup as it would save you a couple of bucks in that case
    If you put tension of the cable from the shifter when attaching it to the derailleur (normally there is no tension), it will be too tight to allow to shift into the spot where the 3rd chain ring would be, but you will still be able to shift fine in between the two other chain rings

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you put tension of the cable from the shifter when attaching it to the derailleur (normally there is no tension), it will be too tight to allow to shift into the spot where the 3rd chain ring would be, but you will still be able to shift fine in between the two other chain rings
    Wouldn't the left 3speed shifter still click 3 times or does the initial applied tension prohibit the shifter from getting there?

This seems like a more cost effective way to convert to 2x10 instead of buying a new xo/xtr left shifter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you apply the tension, it only clicks two times. It won't click into the third spot