I dream on two wheels

Moto on the Colorado Trail.

Hello, I just wanted to post some pictures of what my Moto has been up to. Iíve basically been training it to be my donkey. I bought it in Dec of 2011 and have been modifying it and swapping parts for the past couple months. I think it is done for a while.

I bought this bike with the specific goal of doing the Colorado Trail, along with some other longer bike rides. Unfortunately the friend that I was going to do the CO trail with moved away for the summer so I have decided to do the Colorado Trail Race at the end of July. Colorado Trail Race In the past I have used my Santa Cruz Nomad for multiday trips (The Kokopelli, and Tabeguache trails, Parts of the CO trail) and it just isnít the right bike for this style of riding. I believe the 29er is the way to go for cross country, multi day, suffer fests like the CTR.

Also, I ride my Nomad pretty hard (ie, I beat the hell out of it) so I was a little concerned about how this bike would hold up, especially fully loaded. I am happy to say that so far the bike has surpassed my expectations and still is as smooth and quiet as when I bought it. Itís a very solid bike.

Memorial day weekend I took it on the first trial run, fully loaded for a 2 day one night ride. I made it the 10 miles from my house to the Colorado Trail, and another 40 miles on the Colorado Trail to an area known as Buffalo Creek. I found a place to camp and then turned around and headed back the next day. 95 miles in total.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

On the bike are clothes and hammock (in the seat bag) sleeping gear (on the handlebars) and enough food (in the frame bag) for 2 days. Backpack has water filter, stove, tools, water, sleeping pad, and rainfly. The bike weighs about 49 lbs as pictured.

Modifications to the bike.
    Since buying the bike, I have replaced the handle bars for some longer one, added some ergo grips and some Cane Creek bar ends for different hand positions. I changed the gear up by adding a 20 tooth ring to the front and replacing the 3 chain ring with a bash guard.
    I also built up a new wheel set for it. That was by far the single most weight saving mod. The stock WTB tires did inflate tubeless but they didnít inspire much confidence and I have recently mounted some Geax Saguaro tires and they are much better.
    The other addition is the frame bag which I sewed together and made from Cordura. I also have a smaller bag in the works that I will mount near the stem.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this up here in case anyone had any questions on the durability or capabilities of the bike. I report back after I put some more miles on it. Thanks for reading.

Whiskey

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Your pictures are blurry.

Anyhow,

Thanks for the ride report.

I'm jealous that I don't live in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What kinda bag is that under the saddle?

I dream on two wheels
    Sorry about the picture quality, I just had my phone with me at the time.

The Bag is a Viscacha made by these guys.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...=4&ProductID=1
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Very cool rig. Do you also use a backpack/camelbak, or is everything on the bike? (Nevermind, just re-read your first post, duh).

Thanks for upping the photos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wish I could be out there right now...

mtbr member
    This is awesome! I would love to do this.

Changing out the wheels makes this a new bike. I know from experience. I look forward to some more updates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What did you upgrade your wheels to?

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    What did you upgrade your wheels to?
    I used boughtPacenti tubeless hoops from here: BikeLugs.com, but I don't see anymore 29er rims on the site?
    DT swiss comp spokes with a Hadley rear hub and an XT front hub.

So far they have been awesome on the bike.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks amazing. I use to hike a lot back in the day. Want to get into MTBing and imagine doing what your doing would be a blast. Always wanted to try to try the hammock setup as opposed to a tent. In the summer do you even need a sleeping bag?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Jealous, jealous, jealous. Would love to do this, +1 for making it happen. I'll be throwing some new wheels on my Elite once I get the funds back up as the stock WTB and new Nevegals are really weighing it down.

What hammock and rainfly is that? I'd love to try one out in place of my bulky a** tent.

I dream on two wheels
    The hammock is and Eno, as is the rainfly. I think a hammock is the way to go for comfort, but I'm pretty sure I will be leaving the hammock at home for the race. It takes too long to set up, is a pain in the ass to get in and out of, especially with a sleeping bag involved, and takes too long to tear down. Plus is weighs almost 2 lbs.

DarthTheo, no you don't need a sleeping bag in the summer, but I do use a Z-lite sleeping pad in the hammock since you're suspended above the ground all your body heat dissipates so having a little insulation between you and the hammock is nice.

On the night that pic was taken it got down to about 31*F, with wind. I had my Z-lite, sleeping bag, bivy sack, and 2 layer of clothes on and stayed pretty warm.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Selk
    for ease getting in and out of the hammock...

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by cave12man View Post
    Selk
    for ease getting in and out of the hammock...
    Thats awesome! How well do they compress down?
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think the website says something like the carry size is 16"x10" for the XL and weighs about 4 or so pounds. Sooooo might not be exactly what you're looking for but they sure are cool! They rate it comfortable down to 35 degrees. There's also a "lite" version so that might be a little smaller packed down and a little lighter. Might be worth checking out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for this post. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the review. I've been looking for info on these DS bikes and how well they can handle rides like this.