Thread: Low prices????

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Low prices????

How can they ask so low prices for their bikes? If the quality of the frames is strong, those are very inexpensives bikes to get!!!

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by sp4772
    How can they ask so low prices for their bikes? If the quality of the frames is strong, those are very inexpensives bikes to get!!!
    • low overheads
    • yes
    • you are correct
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sp4772
    The same way that everything is cheaper over the internet.

Online-only stores of all kinds are just warehouses and a few people in an office to handle orders, advertising, design, etc. There are a lot less expenses for a company like that so they can charge less for their products.

Its too bad there are no stickies for these questions

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The quality on these bikes are no different from the store bikes. In fact you can snatch up much higher components (a better equipped bike) and be hundreds of $$ ahead. Boomn nailed it w/ what he said. I know an LBS guy who told me he was very impressed w/ my Moto Fantom29Pro especially when I told him how much it cost. I love my bike!

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm a former LBS mechanic and warranty manager, the frame quality is on par with any of the large manufacturers (Trek, Fisher, Giant, Specialized, etc.).

Parts are the same as other brands as well.

Its nothing new, we used to have a chain of shops up here in the PNW called Bicycle Factory Outlet. They sold their own brand of bikes called "Sherpa" for way less than what the shop I worked for could sell equivalent name brand bikes. Of course, when they went out of business...the warranties also went bye-bye but you still got the bike cheap.

Bikes Direct also has bike shops, so its not all lack of service (although I'm pretty sure they sell more bikes online than through their shops). Its also just one company looking to make a profit...versus two (bicycle company and LBS) so no double mark-up. Also, no multi-million dollar sponsorships of race teams or advertising on Versus during the TdF keeps prices lower.

banned
    Troll post. This is the ringer in 3 card Monty games in NYC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's funny how Jagsr mentioned his LBS actually made positive comments about his moto. When I went back to my lbs after I purchased my moto the owner basically dissed me about my purchased. I think he might of been made because I didn't buy a bike from him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For the record, I got a compliment on my Motobecane 29er at the LBS, too. It was something along the lines of, "Damn, the wheels and drivetrain alone are worth what you paid. You're gonna have a blast on that thing."

He was right, too. Further, I met a guy on the trail riding a Gary Fischer and let him take it on a test ride. He liked it too and when I told him how much I paid for it he said he might buy one for his SS skeptic friends to ride.

bf