Thread: Love my 700HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

... and if we just ... Love my 700HT

I decided to get back into MTBing this year after a 10 year layoff. I spent about a month checking out several LBS, ebay auctions, and websites. After stumbling across BikesDirect, I couldn't believe the bike specs vs. the prices. I figured there had to be a catch I wasn't aware of, so I narrowed down my choices to a couple LBS bikes. Luckily, the kid at the main LBS was a moron that couldn't care less if I bought a bike or just left and never came back. I say lucky b/c I checked out BikesDirect a little more. I'm still not sure how I got over my fear of risking my money by buying a bike I've never seen through the internet. But now that I've had it a few weeks and made some personal adjustments ( grips, bar ends, clipless pedals), I'm amazed at what a deal this was. The Trek I was checking out at the LBS was $200 more and had junk components. My only regret is that I didn't save up more money to buy a better bike ( I was too nervous to spend big money on first try). It works out though, b/c now I plan on enjoying this bike until I'm ready for a Fly Ti. Hopefully BikesDirect stays around a long time, I'm a customer for life. Thanks BD

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This is the bike I will be looking to get in the next week or so. There's a bike shop in Orlando, Florida that carries these and walking in I had never heard of Motobecane before. The staff was more than welcoming and within minutes I was riding it in the back parking lot. I didn't want to get off of it!

Like you said for the price and components, a similar Trek or other brand bike would be exponentially more expensive. And with the money you save, think of all the upgrades you can get!

Glad to hear another person who loves their Motobecane; I can't wait to get one of my own.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JaSparrow
    I decided to get back into MTBing this year after a 10 year layoff. I spent about a month checking out several LBS, ebay auctions, and websites. After stumbling across BikesDirect, I couldn't believe the bike specs vs. the prices. I figured there had to be a catch I wasn't aware of, so I narrowed down my choices to a couple LBS bikes. Luckily, the kid at the main LBS was a moron that couldn't care less if I bought a bike or just left and never came back. I say lucky b/c I checked out BikesDirect a little more. I'm still not sure how I got over my fear of risking my money by buying a bike I've never seen through the internet. But now that I've had it a few weeks and made some personal adjustments ( grips, bar ends, clipless pedals), I'm amazed at what a deal this was. The Trek I was checking out at the LBS was $200 more and had junk components. My only regret is that I didn't save up more money to buy a better bike ( I was too nervous to spend big money on first try). It works out though, b/c now I plan on enjoying this bike until I'm ready for a Fly Ti. Hopefully BikesDirect stays around a long time, I'm a customer for life. Thanks BD

yep. i have the same regret. i bought 700ds and i should have bought fantom comp ds. I am pretty sure alot of people make this mistake and then end up upgrading many parts. oh well. i am still happy and will have to enjoy my purchase for at least half a year to a year now.

Cartographer
    I'm glad I opted for the Fantom Pro instead of the Elite or something less. All this XTR and good brakes, room for upgrades.

Even though the chains on almost all of these bikes are terrible.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just figured out yesterday how crappy the chain is. No problem though, I replaced it with a sram powerlink. 1000% improvement.